Birding with the FZ82

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
nexpirate Regular Member • Posts: 114
Birding with the FZ82

As a long time user of a P610, P900 and also a B700, I've been using the FZ82 for bird photography this week. I chose the camera as I need something portable when out walking. In comparison to the Nikons, the AF speed is leagues ahead, as is the target acquisition. I'm still changing the settings regularly, but generally I'm quite happy with the results for this type of camera. The spring light has been difficult with the bright sun and shadows, but bearing in mind all these shots are hand held and at the telephoto end, either at 1200mm or very near, they have come out ok. Using the DPR uploader loses much of the detail though!. Other than the the lack of an eye sensor (which you get used to very quickly), I can't really fault the camera.

Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ronomy
Ronomy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,034
Re: Birding with the FZ82

Very nice captures and good to hear it's working out quite well.  Price is right too for a long reach camera like this.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
seajunky
seajunky Senior Member • Posts: 1,708

Nice shots. I am having a few problems with spot focus, it keeps hunting. What settings are you using please.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Life is not about dodging storms, but learning to dance in the rain.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/39071608@N08/

OP nexpirate Regular Member • Posts: 114

seajunky wrote:

Nice shots. I am having a few problems with spot focus, it keeps hunting. What settings are you using please.

Steve

-- hide signature --

I've been getting used to the AF and have struggled to get it right. I've been going between spot and centre focus. The problem with small birds in trees is that the af tends to focus on a branch or bud just in front or behind the bird and this would be a test for most cameras. I mostly used spot focus on the bird's head and despite a few missses, it's still better than the Nikon cameras for accuracy. I've find the focus point keeps moving despite the touch AF mostly being disabled. Usually I've been using aperture priority, but tried manual at 1/500 shutter speed, auto ISO and WB,  iresolution set to low. I'll be changing a few settings again tomorrow as the shadows seem a bit noisy, but then again it's a tiny sensor at 1200mm, so I'm not expecting miracles!.

windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 14,025

Good set, impressive detail at 1200mm. I think Panasonic will sell many of these.

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +2 more
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 10,863

nexpirate wrote:

seajunky wrote:

Steve

-- hide signature --

I've been getting used to the AF and have struggled to get it right. I've been going between spot and centre focus. The problem with small birds in trees is that the af tends to focus on a branch or bud just in front or behind the bird and this would be a test for most cameras. I mostly used spot focus on the bird's head and despite a few missses, it's still better than the Nikon cameras for accuracy. I've find the focus point keeps moving despite the touch AF mostly being disabled. Usually I've been using aperture priority, but tried manual at 1/500 shutter speed, auto ISO and WB, iresolution set to low. I'll be changing a few settings again tomorrow as the shadows seem a bit noisy, but then again it's a tiny sensor at 1200mm, so I'm not expecting miracles!.

Spot focus really wants something with contrast at (not near) the spot. OK for birds in a nest but not (at least for me) when the birds move.

I tend to use a small center box, move the camera to so the box is over the eye if possible, half-press and hold. Then reframe, wait, shoot. Keep in mind that the DOF is very shallow, so you can't drift your body toward/away from the bird.

I use the eyepiece and don't find that the spot moves. Touch Screen is on (so I can access the fn keys) but both touch AF and touch pad AF are off.  I don't know why Panny enables the touch when the eyepiece is on. Makes no sense to me.

FWIW, Even with NR set to low, I found that I I was getting smearing in the JPGs compared to  the Raw files.

-- hide signature --
 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Ronomy

Sherm you have the FZ80?  Or are you comparing with something else?

Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
sherman_levine

Ronomy wrote:

Sherm you have the FZ80? Or are you comparing with something else?

I do have the FZ80. Agree with pretty much everything ANAYV has been saying about it (and his comparisons with the long-lens P610/P900), although I do find that I get some fine detail smearing in even low-NR JPGs which are better handled in .RAW

-- hide signature --
Ronomy

sherman_levine wrote:

Ronomy wrote:

Sherm you have the FZ80? Or are you comparing with something else?

I do have the FZ80. Agree with pretty much everything ANAYV has been saying about it (and his comparisons with the long-lens P610/P900), although I do find that I get some fine detail smearing in even low-NR JPGs which are better handled in .RAW

-- hide signature --

My first FZ200 was like that.  I always had some smearing even with NR set to -2.  But my newer FZ200 is very good...Never smears and I use NR-1 in standard mode.  SH-2.  Detail is fantastic and no halos along straight edges.

Rodger1943
Rodger1943 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,690

Great looking results. I'm starting to see a number of good images from this camera now. It definitely seems to be an improvement on its predecessor.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ1000

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +2 more
igaleian Contributing Member • Posts: 541
Re: Birding with the FZ82 are you using EZ or IZ

I believe the camera has both which extend the zoom range

has anybody tried them?

Ian

igaleian's gear list:igaleian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
sherman_levine
Re: Birding with the FZ82 are you using EZ or IZ

igaleian wrote:

I believe the camera has both which extend the zoom range

has anybody tried them?

Ian

I need all the sensor I can get.  The cropped-sensor modes all increase my tailless- and beak-less bird count.

-- hide signature --
myssvictoria Veteran Member • Posts: 5,891

sherman_levine wrote:

snip

I don't know why Panny enables the touch when the eyepiece is on. Makes no sense to me.

I didn't know that, Sherm. Huh, explains the focus box moving. Guess I'll have to read the manual on that subject. Thanks for pointing that out.

-- hide signature --

Vickie
Love birds? Sign the petition to save at least 1/2 of N.A. boreal forests:
borealbirdsneedhalf.org
myFlickr
my Nikon 300 f4 PF + 1.4TC lll pics
myP900pics
myFZ200pics
myFZ70pics

myssvictoria's gear list:myssvictoria's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +12 more
myssvictoria Veteran Member • Posts: 5,891

Nice shots of little birds! Regarding focus, I've configured my FZ80 to back button focus so that once I get focus on a little bird in branches, the camera won't refocus on something else until I press the back button again.

-- hide signature --

Vickie
Love birds? Sign the petition to save at least 1/2 of N.A. boreal forests:
borealbirdsneedhalf.org
myFlickr
my Nikon 300 f4 PF + 1.4TC lll pics
myP900pics
myFZ200pics
myFZ70pics

myssvictoria's gear list:myssvictoria's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +12 more
Halina123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,163

Nice collection of cameras and good photos of birds.  Better than mine!

I'm struggling to get acceptable images of small birds with my smaller cameras.  A Sony HX50 with a 30X zoom with a 750mm equivalent max FL.  An Olympus SZ 30 with max 600mm equivalent FL.  And. Nikon 1 zoom with max 300mm equivalent FL.

John Beavin
John Beavin Senior Member • Posts: 2,940

Nice shots, keep shooting,  we love seeing bird pictures.

John Beavin's gear list:John Beavin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Nikon Coolpix P520 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 +1 more
slawekpar Junior Member • Posts: 32

Nice photos. Did you take BIFs at 1200mm? Could you post a few photos?. I was really disappointed with BIFs taken with P900. It looks that FZ80 will be much better in this aspect.

OP nexpirate Regular Member • Posts: 114

Few more of the Chiffchaff. There's much more detail in the original ones. These birds only sit still when they sing and there's usually a load of twigs in the way!.

seajunky
seajunky Senior Member • Posts: 1,708

Hi myssvictoria long time no speak. Could you please explain how you set the "back button" up for focus please. I think this old man is a bit thick when it comes to technology

-- hide signature --

igaleian Contributing Member • Posts: 541

also are you using EZ and IZ  extra zoom

igaleian's gear list:igaleian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads