The "nifty 50" is not so nifty on APS-C cameras

Started Apr 4, 2017 | User reviews
twomonger Regular Member • Posts: 178
The "nifty 50" is not so nifty on APS-C cameras

You'll often see photography beginners being told that the first lens they should get beyond the kit lens is the so-called "nifty 50." Cheap, good image quality, and fast aperture, and supposedly provides a "normal field of view" that is close to what us humans can see with our eyes. What's not to like? Well, it turns out it isn't nearly as nifty as advertised on APS-C cameras.

50mm on APS-C is equivalent to about 75mm on a full frame camera. Great for taking portraits, but it is much too narrow for many other types of photography, including walk-around photography and other types of picture taking that beginners would like to do. This is especially true for people coming from phone cameras that have field of views equivalent to 35mm or below on FF.

I know I fell for this oft-repeated advice without thinking critically. I bought a 50mm F1.8 and it sat in my camera bag forever. The only time it ever came out was when it fell out by accident while hiking. I use it a bit more now that I have a full-frame K-1, but it isn't designed for a FF sensor and struggles a bit in the corners.

Before mindlessly following the hive mind, use your kit lens for a while and take a look at the EXIF files to see which focal lengths you find yourself gravitating the most towards. Then get a prime that best matches your preferences instead of wasting your money.

My recommendation? Get the DA 35mm F/2.4 instead. Not as fast, but much closer to the "normal field of view," providing a 52.5mm full frame equivalent. Or better yet get a 24mm prime, which provides a 36mm FF equivalent. But please don't just take my advice without considering your own preferences!

twomonger's gear list:twomonger's gear list
Pentax K-1 Sony a9 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8
Prime lens • Pentax KAF • 22177
Announced: May 21, 2012
twomonger's score
Average community score
Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 15,571
Re: The "nifty 50" is not so nifty on APS-C cameras

It's a matter of taste, but I quite like the field of view of a 50mm lens on crop. Not a typical field of view, and a tad too short for those who like the more usual 85-90mm, but it has its own charms and is hardly unknown in the wider world. Pentax itself makes a 77 mm prime for FF.

No, it's not the same as a 50mm on a FF sensor, and if that's what someone expects or wants you're perfectly correct to recommend a 35mm lens.

But I don't get your comment about the phone camera. Surely someone who is familiar with the 28-30mm equivalent field of view of a phone camera might want something a distinct step longer as a companion? I often carry my old FA fast fifty on my K-5iis when I am in the mood for its light weight and distinctive "old school" rendering and find going "30/75" with my phone camera makes for a fun day.

Granted, I am the person who spent years at a time shooting everything from landscapes on up with an 85mm on film, so mild tele and walkaround are a natural combination for me. With a portrait lens on board all the time, you can take portraits of *anything*.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-M1 +20 more
GPGeneralPhoto
GPGeneralPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,157

I have walked around the city at night with a 50mm on my crop camera just because it is the fastest lens that I owned and I was looking for low light capabilities. It is true that it isn't the 'normal' field of view on my crop camera, but it is still good. How did this lens perform for you?

-- hide signature --

I'm thankful to still be able to...

GPGeneralPhoto's gear list:GPGeneralPhoto's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs
SoCalWill
SoCalWill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,299

Killer small item lens though

-- hide signature --

Digital Camera and Adobe Photoshop user since 1999.
Adobe Lightroom is my adult coloring book.

SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max
The Squirrel Mafia
The Squirrel Mafia Senior Member • Posts: 1,006

I prefer the FOV of the 35mm f/2.4 over the 50mm f/1.8 as well, but the 50mm is pretty good lens for other stuff like portraits, trying to shoot in really low light while keeping the ISO down, & trying to get "bokeh" in certain shots. Those are the only times I use the 50mm on my camera.

The reason that the 50mm is constantly recommended is for its very good IQ & lens speed at a really low cost.

But yeah. It's like looking through a 75mm on full frame. The 35mm on an APS-C camera is like looking through a 50mm lens on full frame.

The normal FOV that most people are probably referring to is when using the 50mm on a full frame camera. A 35mm lens would be more like a normal FOV on APS-C.

But in either case, the Pentax DA 50mm f/1.8 is a mighty fine little gem of a lens for its intended purposes.

The Squirrel Mafia's gear list:The Squirrel Mafia's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED PLM AW Pentax 11-18mm F2.8 Pentax K-50 +10 more
MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 5,206
One big correction to make...

twomonger wrote:

You'll often see photography beginners being told that the first lens they should get beyond the kit lens is the so-called "nifty 50." Cheap, good image quality, and fast aperture, and supposedly provides a "normal field of view" that is close to what us humans can see with our eyes.

Actually on a 35mm/FF camera the 50mmish focal length does not equal the human field of view at all. What it does is equal the human perception of prespective, so objects at different distances will appear the same size as they do though our eyes.

AwesomeIan Senior Member • Posts: 2,309

Couple of my friends getting into photography asked me what lens they should get for a APS-C camera. Both told me they liked pictures with nice bokeh and wanted something they could use inside. I suggested a 50mm 1.8. They both bought one and neither has complained about the focal length. My point is that obviously it won't serve as wide angle lens but if applied correctly it has benefits. I would like to add that 75mm can be used for walk around photography. It is great for plants, landmarks and tons of other stuff. You won't get a sweeping landscape shot but then again you wouldn't get that with a 50mm on full frame either.

I don't know what you "thought" you were getting with a 50mm on crop sensor. The fact this review ignores any technical aspects of the lens is annoying.

-- hide signature --
 AwesomeIan's gear list:AwesomeIan's gear list
Pentax K-1 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,039

twomonger wrote:

You'll often see photography beginners being told that the first lens they should get beyond the kit lens is the so-called "nifty 50." Cheap, good image quality, and fast aperture, and supposedly provides a "normal field of view"

I've never seen anyone told that a 50 looks normal on an APS-C.  I've seen recommended it as a portrait lens, with extension tubes it makes a decent macro lens. etc.

Everything else you've written is basically "I bought the wrong lens because I didn't read properly first".  You say you haven't used the lens but still feel able to review it.

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +3 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 41,665

About the same as giving a good wide angle lens a poor review because it can't provide a telephoto image. Why not score it for what it is rather than for the mistake you made in assuming it would be like something else.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

rmalbers Contributing Member • Posts: 529

I actually think it's pretty 'brave' of him to admit in a public forum he screwed up and didn't buy the lens he thought he was getting but to give it a bad review is kind of over the top.  I think this has post has to be a joke.

Florida Suse
Florida Suse Regular Member • Posts: 487

I'll just chime in here about the 50mm.

Most people wedding photographers will admit the 50 is one of their most used lenses and many day it's their favorite, I heard one interview with a pro wedding photographer I follow day it was her favorite lens, if she could only use one lens for a wedding, she would shoot the whole wedding with a 50.  She is a Nikon shooter btw.

But, I will say this - I LOVE my fa 50.  Tack sharp and a soft, delicate bokeh. I plan on using it a lot more when I get my K1, soon.

AviPro
AviPro Senior Member • Posts: 1,254
Re: The "nifty 50" is not so nifty on APS-C cameras - Get the 35/2.4

twomonger wrote:

You'll often see photography beginners being told that the first lens they should get beyond the kit lens is the so-called "nifty 50." Cheap, good image quality, and fast aperture, and supposedly provides a "normal field of view" that is close to what us humans can see with our eyes. What's not to like? Well, it turns out it isn't nearly as nifty as advertised on APS-C cameras.

50mm on APS-C is equivalent to about 75mm on a full frame camera. Great for taking portraits, but it is much too narrow for many other types of photography, including walk-around photography and other types of picture taking that beginners would like to do. This is especially true for people coming from phone cameras that have field of views equivalent to 35mm or below on FF.

Now you figured out that 50 mm on APSC is 75 mm onFF (35 mm).

So the solution is to get the 35mm that is very close to the normal field of view.
I have both these lenses and can't praise them enough, they are true gems!

-- hide signature --

--Avi

AviPro's gear list:AviPro's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Nikon Z5 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +1 more
DougOB
DougOB Veteran Member • Posts: 3,089

twomonger wrote:

Before mindlessly following the hive mind, use your kit lens for a while and take a look at the EXIF files to see which focal lengths you find yourself gravitating the most towards. Then get a prime that best matches your preferences instead of wasting your money.

This is actually good advice.  I mentioned ages ago about a friend who had a K5+DA*16-50 and found a big spike in usage at 28mm.  Buying a FA31 was the closest, although a new DA28 PLM WR Ltd would be nice

Doug

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Ricoh GR IIIx Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax KP Pentax K-70 +36 more
hanhait Senior Member • Posts: 1,296

It is very odd to give a low score because you don't like the focal length. The focal length and aperture are given and if you claim to review a lens you have to assess the quality based on that: optical, mechanical, you may say you would have liked like a closer focussing, a smaller weight, better bokeh, sharper corners, lower price or whatever, but not that you would have liked a larger aperture or a different focal length, those are matters of fact and the starting point of a review or evaluation.

hanhait's gear list:hanhait's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K100D Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR +9 more
timo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,886

twomonger wrote:

50mm on APS-C is equivalent to about 75mm on a full frame camera.

Yes, I think we knew that. Why give the lens only two stars because you made a mistake?

timo's gear list:timo's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,271

timo wrote:

twomonger wrote:

50mm on APS-C is equivalent to about 75mm on a full frame camera.

Yes, I think we knew that. Why give the lens only two stars because you made a mistake?

Guess the DA* 55 would only get 1 star as that 80 mm equiv would make if even less useful as a 'normal' FoV lens

Even though its one of the best Head/Shoulder Portrait lens bar non and can even double as a full body portrait lens on FF.

One things for certain folks is strange how they define 'worth'

The lens in question here makes a very decent poor mans portrait and a solid short tele offering outstanding value for money.

Though I don't own it that only one step behind don't use it (as the OP doesn't) so feel justified in stating its probably worth 5 stars when you consider IQ per £

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-x Olympus PEN E-PM2 +17 more
klimbkat
klimbkat Senior Member • Posts: 2,646

twomonger wrote:

I know I fell for this oft-repeated advice without thinking critically.

This pretty much says it all.  This "review" has nothing to do with the lens itself and everything to do with the OP not "thinking critically" about his lens choices, and should  be dismissed as such (or better yet, deleted as it inappropriately mucks with the aggregated scores).  While I don't have this lens, I do have the FA 50 1.4 and find it useful on APS-C for many things, e.g., shooting musicians in nightclubs, portraits, and cats.

Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 29,978

The 50 is a portrait tele on aps c. Quite nifty imho.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 2,080

klimbkat wrote:

twomonger wrote:

This pretty much says it all. This "review" has nothing to do with the lens itself and everything to do with the OP not "thinking critically" about his lens choices, and should be dismissed as such (or better yet, deleted as it inappropriately mucks with the aggregated scores). While I don't have this lens, I do have the FA 50 1.4 and find it useful on APS-C for many things, e.g., shooting musicians in nightclubs, portraits, and cats.

+1

I dont have the DA 50 f1.8 because I am quite happy using my FA 50 f1.7 I bought second hand ten years ago. On K3, it is a very nice compact portrait and lowlight prime which sits between my DA35 macro f2.8 and DA70.

-- hide signature --
 Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +24 more
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 2,080

Tatouzou wrote:

klimbkat wrote:

twomonger wrote:

This pretty much says it all. This "review" has nothing to do with the lens itself and everything to do with the OP not "thinking critically" about his lens choices, and should be dismissed as such (or better yet, deleted as it inappropriately mucks with the aggregated scores). While I don't have this lens, I do have the FA 50 1.4 and find it useful on APS-C for many things, e.g., shooting musicians in nightclubs, portraits, and cats.

+1

I dont have the DA 50 f1.8 because I am quite happy using my FA 50 f1.7 I bought second hand ten years ago. On K3, it is a very nice compact portrait and lowlight prime which sits between my DA35 macro f2.8 and DA70.

Another argument for a 50mm to be the first prime people who only have the kit lens should buy is because kit zooms are usually f4 at 35mm, which is only 1.5 stop darker than the DA35 f2.4, whereas they are f 5.6 at 50mm, which is 3.3 stop darker than the DA50 f1.8. 3.3 stops is really a huge difference.

-- hide signature --
 Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads