A6000 bricked going from firmware 1.10 to 3.20

Started Apr 2, 2017 | Discussions
Admiral Krank Junior Member • Posts: 32
A6000 bricked going from firmware 1.10 to 3.20

Ok, seriously this is one of those wt* moments.  I just upgraded an a7m2 same cable, same computer.  Then I went and got my a6000 and started to do an upgrade with a6000 specific firmware.

seriously... wt*.

the updater gave me a notice about the camera and computer being disconnected.

I now seem to have a bricked a6000.  When I put a battery in it, and turn it on, the battery light on the bottom comes on, but the menu, etc. doesn't show up.  Even when I turn off the unit, the battery light shows.

Is there any way to fix this.  I'm seriously annoyed.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Htbaa Senior Member • Posts: 1,033
Re: A6000 bricked going from firmware 1.10 to 3.20

Have you tried running the updated again?

Htbaa's gear list:Htbaa's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) +18 more
OP Admiral Krank Junior Member • Posts: 32

I'm at the "reset the camera" step of the upgrade, but I can't  get it to see that I've reset the camera (literally taken the battery in an out of it).

OP Admiral Krank Junior Member • Posts: 32

Ok, here's what I did.

Whatever you do, don't shut down the installer.  I kept repeating a few steps in between failures.  Ie) failing at "run the update", and also failing at "reset the camera" I tried using different USB cable (same result), and then a different USB port.

Upon using a different USB port, and going through a failure to reset the camera a few times, I got it to run the update, and "finish the update"

Stay at it folks, it's painful, but it's not entirely bricked.  I'm back to being a happy a6000 user (but somewhat annoyed at the adrenaline filled 2 hours I wasted at this...).

Joachim Wulfers
Joachim Wulfers Veteran Member • Posts: 5,893

Admiral Krank wrote:

Ok, here's what I did.

Whatever you do, don't shut down the installer. I kept repeating a few steps in between failures. Ie) failing at "run the update", and also failing at "reset the camera" I tried using different USB cable (same result), and then a different USB port.

Upon using a different USB port, and going through a failure to reset the camera a few times, I got it to run the update, and "finish the update"

Stay at it folks, it's painful, but it's not entirely bricked. I'm back to being a happy a6000 user (but somewhat annoyed at the adrenaline filled 2 hours I wasted at this...).

Thanks to your post I was reminded to check my FW Version. I was at 2.0. I immediately updated to Version 3.2, but contrary to your experience it was all smooth sailing. I just followed the instructions by the letter, such as install a fully charged battery, remove the memory card, switch on the camera, connect it to the computer and don't touch anything. It worked while I filled out the satisfaction survey.

I am not sure if anything has improved, but thanks for reminding me.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony a6000 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads