A6300 suddenly dead...won't charge or turn on.

Started Mar 31, 2017 | Discussions
singhman Regular Member • Posts: 179
A6300 suddenly dead...won't charge or turn on.

I just bought the a6300 a few weeks ago from craigslist, and today went to turn it on... Nothing. Tried charging the battery, nothing. No yellow light. Has anyone heard of something like this? The person I bought it from did email the receipt (bought from Camera Canada). However, he also covered his name, address etc when he emailed me the receipt. Should that be an issue? What steps should I take? Any idea how long Sony usually takes for repairs? Thanks

singhman's gear list:singhman's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
walter g1 Contributing Member • Posts: 776
Re: A6300 suddenly dead...won't charge or turn on.

Defective battery would be my first guess. Is it a Sony battery or aftermarket?

OP singhman Regular Member • Posts: 179

walter g1 wrote:

Original battery. It's been working fine for the last few weeks. Strange

Mordi
Mordi Senior Member • Posts: 2,305

Credit Henry (blue skies) with this reset for the NEX-6 that worked on other models- and might work with the A6000

Put Nex-6 in M mode with top-dial

Put the battery back in

Press the soft Menu A and C buttons together with Fn button (I pressed all three)

Wait for 8 seconds

Nex-6 will reset

-- hide signature --

My A6000 is packed for an early morning flight so I can't tell you what the equivalent buttons are on the A6000, but you should be able to figure it out

Mordi's gear list:Mordi's gear list
Sony a7 II Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +7 more

Mordi wrote:

Credit Henry (blue skies) with this reset for the NEX-6 that worked on other models- and might work with the A6000

Put Nex-6 in M mode with top-dial

Put the battery back in

Press the soft Menu A and C buttons together with Fn button (I pressed all three)

Wait for 8 seconds

Nex-6 will reset

Thank you Mordi. What are the soft menu a and c buttons? Thank you

walter g1 Contributing Member • Posts: 776

One other thing. You didn't accidentally turn off the lcd screen, did you?

walter g1 wrote:

No. I tried hitting the shutter etc.. Nothing

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,889

singhman wrote:

walter g1 wrote:

Original battery. It's been working fine for the last few weeks. Strange

Check it with a multimeter.

***UPDATE***

It's alive! I took the camera to a store near my house and asked if I could try the demo battery for the Sony cameras in my a6300. The battery worked perfectly. Then the guy working at the store was curious so he plugged in my battery into a wall charger only for about 1 or 2 minutes. When I put the battery back in my camera, it turned on but had the flashing battery symbol, meaning it's about to turn off. He then charged it again for 2 more minutes, and then I took it home and plugged it in and it is now charging fine. It's really strange because when I had the problem earlier, I had it plugged in for over 30 minutes, and the yellow light did not come on. The battery must have been so drained out that it needed an extra boost to get it going, perhaps? Anyways, I'm glad that the camera is working fine. Thanks everyone.

Now that i think of it...the last time I used the camera was about 4 days ago, and I don't recall the battery dying.  Now, I'm a bit nervous because i have been using the Sigma mc-11 adaptor, and am hoping it didn't cause this "issue".  I know that Jason lanier had a bricked a6300 when he used a fotodiox nikon to sony e mount adaptor.  I'm not saying this is the case, but why would my camera do nothing, even though I had charged it for more than 30 mins?

Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 2,820

singhman wrote:

I'm not saying this is the case, but why would my camera do nothing, even though I had charged it for more than 30 mins?

The simple answer is that batteries are weird. And charging systems can be finicky.

If a battery is really low, then a "smart charger" might not even detect that a battery is in the charging bay (and I am assuming that the built in charging systems in alpha cameras would be considered "smart chargers").

I know this happens a lot with NiMH smart chargers; when the battery gets too low, you need to put it in a dumb charger that will just force feed current into the battery. Once enough current is in the battery, then the smart chargers will work with it.

Since the guy at the camera store plugged your battery in to a wall charger, I am guessing that the wall simply works better with real low batteries.

-- hide signature --

Stay Broke... Shoot Sony!

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,889

singhman wrote:

Now that i think of it...the last time I used the camera was about 4 days ago, and I don't recall the battery dying. Now, I'm a bit nervous because i have been using the Sigma mc-11 adaptor, and am hoping it didn't cause this "issue". I know that Jason lanier had a bricked a6300 when he used a fotodiox nikon to sony e mount adaptor. I'm not saying this is the case, but why would my camera do nothing, even though I had charged it for more than 30 mins?

Just make sure when you change lenses or adapters tat the camera is off.  It's too easy to cross-connect the mount's electrical contacts.

Travelino Regular Member • Posts: 198

I would recommend you buy a 3rd party wall charger.  If you go to the B&H website and do a search on Sony A6300 battery charger, you should find them.  The 3rd party brands are cheaper than the Sony brand.  I have one for my A6300 and use it instead of using the camera to charge.  Also get a second battery.

With regard to a factory reset procedure, it would be great if someone knew what it was for the A6300.   I'd like to know that.

I had my A77 die and Sony said to send it in for repair. But then I found on the A mount forum a procedure to reset. Actually, researching it, there were several versions of which buttons to press, but only one of those sequences was the right one. When I tried it, my camera came back to life.  I have that printed out and carry it with my camera, just in case I ever need it again. So having the correct procedure for the A6300 would be really helpful to have. Anyone know what it is for sure?

Aleberro Junior Member • Posts: 28

Does anyone know the procedure for the hard reset? My a6500 is now a brick and won't: turn on or charge. I have the red blinking light even if the dial says off. Please someone help!

Aleberro's gear list:Aleberro's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +2 more
uhligfd Veteran Member • Posts: 3,247

walter g1 wrote:

Meant for the OP, but inspiredly your post:

I have (multiple times over the years ..) left my camera on and put it in its neoprene case, so the viewfinder was permanently on. When I then wanted to shoot again after hours ... , the battery was dead and I thought 'Oh, da... battery', but it was my mistake.

I wonder if Sony could add a default: if there is no button pushed on an active camera for 10 minutes, even if the proximity sensor is feeling that there is something, someone using the camera, the camera turns itself off, saving the battery  inside  the cover or not.

So I will regularly check now that the camera is set to off when I carry it around with me.

paul wassermann Senior Member • Posts: 1,265

In addition to getting a two unit desk charger, get another battery or two.   If the problem you had noted had occurred with a Wasabi or other off brand battery, people would be complaining about the cheap battery failures.  I have owned about a dozen off brand batteries and they all seemed to function as well, as long as the Sony's.  You can get a two unit charger with a couple of batteries for $20 on Ebay (Search Sony Dual Charger Combo).  I have used this unit for nearly three years without a single issue.

paul wassermann's gear list:paul wassermann's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +10 more
SeanTXK Regular Member • Posts: 336

Aleberro wrote:

Does anyone know the procedure for the hard reset? My a6500 is now a brick and won't: turn on or charge. I have the red blinking light even if the dial says off. Please someone help!

What have you tried so far?

What preceded this event? Firmware install?

Have you tried power button ON, then dropping the battery out?

SeanTXK's gear list:SeanTXK's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +2 more
Aleberro Junior Member • Posts: 28

Tried everything. Removed battery, new battery, no battery but plugged to an external battery, no sd card, with new sd card...I’m out of ideas! It worked perfect and I just changed a battery with 3% charge left with a new one and then it never turned on again.

Aleberro's gear list:Aleberro's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +2 more
Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 2,820

Aleberro wrote:

Tried everything. Removed battery, new battery, no battery but plugged to an external battery, no sd card, with new sd card...I’m out of ideas! It worked perfect and I just changed a battery with 3% charge left with a new one and then it never turned on again.

Have you tried removing the lens and just putting a plastic lens cap on there?

-- hide signature --

Stay Broke... Shoot Sony!

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
paul wassermann Senior Member • Posts: 1,265

Off The Mark wrote:

Aleberro wrote:

Have you tried removing the lens and just putting a plastic lens cap on there?

Have you tried a firmware update?  My A6000 went totally dead like yours after I attempted an update with my Mac.  It came back to life after I did another update using a PC.  Very mysterious, but might be worth a try.

paul wassermann's gear list:paul wassermann's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads