Backing up XQD cards while traveling

Started Mar 30, 2017 | Discussions
BigDG Regular Member • Posts: 127
Backing up XQD cards while traveling

Hi

While traveling I backup my D800's SD and CF files to a Hyperspace Colorspace UDMA2.  That way I don't have to lug a laptop through the mountains for backup.  This system is light weight, uses little power and has worked fine for years.  Now I have a D500 and the problem of course is the Colorspace UDMA 2 doesn't have a XQD connector.  Is there any work around?

I tried plugging the XQD card into my Lexar card reader and got a USB to mini USB cable and plugged that into the external input of the Colorspace but it didn't recognize my XQD card.

Does anybody have a backup solution whereby I don't need to carry a laptop?

David

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tdwesbo
tdwesbo Senior Member • Posts: 2,247
Re: Backing up XQD cards while traveling

Copy the xqd card to an sd card in the camera body and then use your existing solution...

tdwesbo's gear list:tdwesbo's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,587

BigDG wrote:

Hi

While traveling I backup my D800's SD and CF files to a Hyperspace Colorspace UDMA2. That way I don't have to lug a laptop through the mountains for backup. This system is light weight, uses little power and has worked fine for years. Now I have a D500 and the problem of course is the Colorspace UDMA 2 doesn't have a XQD connector. Is there any work around?

I tried plugging the XQD card into my Lexar card reader and got a USB to mini USB cable and plugged that into the external input of the Colorspace but it didn't recognize my XQD card.

David

I usually prefer to remove the card from the camera and use a card reader, but how about connecting the camera to the Colorspace? A mini USB cable fits into the bottom half of the USB connector on the D500, it will not be USB3 however.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
jeminijoseph Veteran Member • Posts: 6,616
Why don't you buy couple of 128GB XQD cards?

BigDG wrote:

Hi

While traveling I backup my D800's SD and CF files to a Hyperspace Colorspace UDMA2. That way I don't have to lug a laptop through the mountains for backup. This system is light weight, uses little power and has worked fine for years. Now I have a D500 and the problem of course is the Colorspace UDMA 2 doesn't have a XQD connector. Is there any work around?

I tried plugging the XQD card into my Lexar card reader and got a USB to mini USB cable and plugged that into the external input of the Colorspace but it didn't recognize my XQD card.

David

I've used one of those portable storage in the past. Back then it made sense because the faster cards where very expensive compared to portable storage. I just had a look at ColorSpace UDMA 3. The 500gb will cost you $500. I'm sure you can buy 4 128GB cards for that price. What do u say.? There may be other reasons that you want use it.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Jemini Joseph
http://wildbirdimages.com/

jeminijoseph's gear list:jeminijoseph's gear list
Nikon D500
Chuck Yadmark
Chuck Yadmark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,742

I have a wd passport pro with USB 3 and sd slot. It worked wit xqd card reader

i would prefer big sd card backup also  .  Slot copy  sd cards cheap

-- hide signature --

www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark
Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +20 more
jsa Forum Member • Posts: 84

XQD card reader

Galaxy S6 / USB OTG hub

USB Drive

-- hide signature --

Cheers
John

jsa's gear list:jsa's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +11 more
OP BigDG Regular Member • Posts: 127

Sorry .  Whats a USB OTG hub and how do you use it with a Galaxy S6 and USB drive?

jsa Forum Member • Posts: 84

USB On The Go

There are hub versions available that allow phone charger and multiple USB devices to be plugged in together.

Could also use a plain unpowered usb hub if the USB drive is low enough power draw from the phone.

I use a 128GB USB thumb drive. Other USB drive types can be used so long as power requirements can be met by the phone or OTG hub.

I just browse the XQD and copy to the USB drive using the built in android OS functions.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
John

jsa's gear list:jsa's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +11 more
Chuck Yadmark

After thinking about it, I've thought really that the cost of CF cards and SD cards really have gotten to the point where it's probably more cost effective, lighter and certainly less kludgy to simply save to dual slots as copy and carry a few 64gb cards of each. Even if shooting RAW, you should be able to get quite a few thousand photos for under 200.

-- hide signature --

Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

lambert4
lambert4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,335

I found an appropriate cable to go from the camera connection USB to my device and with camera powered on, it recognizes fine. Might be an option. The only extra item needed is a 3" USB to lightning adaptor.  It allows Raw or jpeg transfer as well as 4K video.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +3 more
Richard B99 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,390

Chuck Yadmark wrote:

After thinking about it, I've thought really that the cost of CF cards and SD cards really have gotten to the point where it's probably more cost effective, lighter and certainly less kludgy to simply save to dual slots as copy and carry a few 64gb cards of each. Even if shooting RAW, you should be able to get quite a few thousand photos for under 200.

There is a lot to be said for that if you have a camera that has two slots and can either write in backup mode (copies to each card) or copy from one card to another later.  I worked out that I could get enough storage out of 8 64Gb cards to store about 20,000 Nikon D500 RAW images (Which is pretty extreme for me even on a full blown photo hol) That would cost me around GBP 250 with SanDisk Extreme Pro 95Mbit cards.

The only issue for me is that the primary XQD cards are about GBP 100 for the fast 64Gb so I'd need about 8 of those too.  GBP 800 on XQD cards was looking a bit rich but I'm still thinking about grabbing a couple more XQD and making up the difference with a few more SD cards and just doing a double backup if necessary towards the end of the trip so I can reformat the XQDs and reuse them...

It still looks like the cheapest approach and the bulk / weight of all those cards is still tiny.

One last test for me is to check the speed of copying between camera slots - needs to be much faster than USB 2 for this to work.

Will have to be very careful on recording what is on each card though!

agrumpyoldsod Contributing Member • Posts: 608

Chuck Yadmark wrote:

I have a wd passport pro with USB 3 and sd slot. It worked wit xqd card reader

i would prefer big sd card backup also . Slot copy sd cards cheap

Hi -- I was not aware that you can do with with the WD Passport. I would be very grateful if you would please provide a little more data on how you made this work in the field.

For example did you use the WD My Cloud wireless app on your phone?

agrumpyoldsod's gear list:agrumpyoldsod's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +32 more
Chuck Yadmark

no the Passport Pro..  .     it has a built-in SD card slot and a USB slot made specifically for this sort of thing.  No cloud is involved.

-- hide signature --

Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,587

BigDG wrote:

Hi

David

I have an old functional Asus EEEPC 900 AH, running Linux, in which I replaced the original HD with a 350GB one, and the battery with a 7800 MAh one. It only has SD card slots, but previously I could connect a CF reader to the built-in standard USB ports, and now I do the same with the Lexar XQD reader.

It small enough that I can carry that in my backpak. The whole thing is bulkier than a Colorspace, but it has a 9 inch screen, a keyboard and trackpad so I can have a serious look at my images, very useful when reviewing while I am still on a trip.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
Michael Kaplan
Michael Kaplan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,449

I have the WD 3TB My Passport Wireless Pro. I use that with my USB 3.0 Sony XQD Dual Card Reader. I bought the Sony because it has SD as well. Downloads it all on to the 3TB Drive. You can use your phone to access the WD Wireless to see and manage it all. Works great.

-- hide signature --
 Michael Kaplan's gear list:Michael Kaplan's gear list
Sony a1 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +22 more
Mr. Click Senior Member • Posts: 1,107

I second this solution, as it's fast and requires nothing additional to what you have.

-- hide signature --

Photograph—a 1/125 second slice of time that is able to store decades of memories.

Mr. Click's gear list:Mr. Click's gear list
Nikon D500
OP BigDG Regular Member • Posts: 127

Yes.  This is the way I'm going to do it.  I didn't remember there was a way to copy from one card to another. Thanks to the form!

roosterstoker New Member • Posts: 4

Fiddling around last night.. Have Nik D850, with WD My Passport Wireless Pro,, which I just had bought yesterday morning;. I shoot with XQD main slot,, and overflow to SD.  I managed to tap into the XQD (still have a wee little problem finding the right buttons on the drive though trying to make sure that i am using USB3). I had USB 3 cable going to USB 3 in camera direct connection to WD drive.  I had my camera setting to shoot 1 fine jpeg plus 1 large RAW to the XQD.. , however,, and the big however, I could only see the JPEG landing on to the WD drive.. I tried over and over.  Then, I switched format to strictly LARGE RAW, because I wanted to see my RAW being transferred over. I did NOT succeed in seeing the RAW transferred. By the way, I am using the iPhone app, My cloud, to see the transfer process, except it doesn't show you the file extension being transferred over., until you look in the end to see via WiFi, what is on the drive, and only the jpeg again, got to the drive.. I also, via Wifi, or by direct USB hookup to the WD wireless pro,  look on my iMac, to get another look to see what was transferred, and the RAW is not showing up. Can anyone that has succeeded in transferring in above comments tell me whether transfer of RAW came through from their XQD card to the Wireless Pro? or are they just seeing   JPEG coming through.

JBC3 New Member • Posts: 11

roosterstoker wrote:

Fiddling around last night.. Have Nik D850, with WD My Passport Wireless Pro,, which I just had bought yesterday morning;. I shoot with XQD main slot,, and overflow to SD. I managed to tap into the XQD (still have a wee little problem finding the right buttons on the drive though trying to make sure that i am using USB3). I had USB 3 cable going to USB 3 in camera direct connection to WD drive. I had my camera setting to shoot 1 fine jpeg plus 1 large RAW to the XQD.. , however,, and the big however, I could only see the JPEG landing on to the WD drive.. I tried over and over. Then, I switched format to strictly LARGE RAW, because I wanted to see my RAW being transferred over. I did NOT succeed in seeing the RAW transferred. By the way, I am using the iPhone app, My cloud, to see the transfer process, except it doesn't show you the file extension being transferred over., until you look in the end to see via WiFi, what is on the drive, and only the jpeg again, got to the drive.. I also, via Wifi, or by direct USB hookup to the WD wireless pro, look on my iMac, to get another look to see what was transferred, and the RAW is not showing up. Can anyone that has succeeded in transferring in above comments tell me whether transfer of RAW came through from their XQD card to the Wireless Pro? or are they just seeing JPEG coming through.

The raw's copy fine.  However I take the card out of the camera.  I use an XQD card reader plugged into the USB on the Passport Pro.  These go into the "USB Imports" directory.  I use XQD Raw/SD JPEG     I never tried Camera to Passport Pro.

JBC3's gear list:JBC3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon D7100 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +2 more
Krish6102 Forum Member • Posts: 84

Hi

I just took a week long trip with my D500 (with just two XQD cards) and no laptop. Instead I had a MyPassport pro to back up files on a daily basis.

After some fiddling and some trial and error (before the trip) I kind of settled on this work flow:

1. SD cards plug directly into the MyPassport. Files transfer without any hiccups.

2. I insert my Lexar XQD cards into its card reader which in turn is plugged into the USB slot. The first time I did it, I hadn't plugged it in properly ( there's a small click sort of a feedback back I get if its done properly) and 449 images took all night to transfer. Since then I have been more mindful of properly plugging in and there's been no problems thereafter.

3. While viewing the files - after navigating to USB Imports in the app on my Ipad I discovered that each RAW image takes about 10 seconds to load. So browsing the files later through the app was pretty much out.

4. My big concern was - if all the files had in fact been transferred. The app does not display the number of images transferred, but what it does, is list out the image numbers of each image without a preview. So I got into the habit of checking the first and last image numbers on the camera before the transfer and comparing that with what was displayed in the app on the Ipad.  A bit cumbersome, but it gave me peace of mind.

5. MyPassport incrementally adds images to each folder. If you have previously loaded 250 images to Folder no 101 the next time it will add the images from no 251 onwards. The problem here is that without a preview, incrementally increasing the files in the same folder was something I found difficult to keep track of. I wasn't sure if all 599 images of session two have been added into folder 101. My workaround for this issue was to rename the storage folder in the camera sequentially for each session - 101 for the first session, 102 the next session and so on. While transferring to the MyPassport I was then sure that all images of that session were safely transferred.

By the end of trip I had gotten to folder number 114. Whenever I had taken more than 999 pictures in one session,  the camera made another folder in the sequence and that too got transferred. The following session I started with a new number.

I hope this helps

Krish

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads