NEX-6 "Camera error. Turn power off then on." while EFCS is On

Started Mar 29, 2017 | Questions
Nevo Nir New Member • Posts: 3
NEX-6 "Camera error. Turn power off then on." while EFCS is On

I am getting on NEX-6, firmware version 1.03, while Front Curtain Shutter is On:
"Camera error. Turn power off then on."
With EFCS off, camera works fine. Is it a self fixable issue and if yes, could you please guide me how to do it?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MKSTEWARTESQ Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: NEX-6 "Camera error. Turn power off then on." while EFCS is On

I am sorry to chime in without being able to offer a solution – but I am a bit relieved to find that I am not the only one who is suffering this exact issue. My Nex 6  started doing this a couple of years ago and Google searches were fruitless – I only isolated the issue to the ECFS  through my own trial and error and, just as you described, once it is turned off, the issue goes away. However, I hope you find a more definitive solution because, only very recently, the issue has started reappearing for me, although very infrequently, with ECFS off.

Best,

Mike

MKSTEWARTESQ's gear list:MKSTEWARTESQ's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
Ray Maines
Ray Maines Veteran Member • Posts: 4,183

Nevo Nir wrote:

I am getting on NEX-6, firmware version 1.03, while Front Curtain Shutter is On:
"Camera error. Turn power off then on."
With EFCS off, camera works fine. Is it a self fixable issue and if yes, could you please guide me how to do it?

I hate to be the voice of doom or anything, but I don't think it has anything to do with EFC and your NEX-6 is very near the end of its useful life. Use the regular shutter for as long as you can and start saving for a new camera. FWIW: This problem seems unique to the NEX-6 and doesn't seem to effect the a6000, a6300 or a6500 cameras. Not yet anyway.

-- hide signature --

It's always about the experience, not the equipment.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +4 more
Velovot New Member • Posts: 14

I've been wrestling with this issue for years. Very frustrating. Sony says it's not possible to wipe and re-flash the camera (I guess updates are only partial).

They said it's likely a shutter mechanism issue. Minimum to have it looked at is $200 and repair likely greater, so it isn't worth it. However, once I power cycle it, it works fine until the next time I use the camera.

Still making great images. It's now my backup to my a-6500.

Tuloom
Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 4,141

My beaten, elderly NEX-6 does this as well.

When I use it now, I turn it on, hit the shutter, wait for message, turn it off, turn it back on and go about my happy way.

OP Nevo Nir New Member • Posts: 3

Thank you all very much for helping me with this problem.

According to your input I understand that the reasonable thing to do is keep using the camera as is and start getting ready for the next one.

NEX6User New Member • Posts: 1

I fixed my NEX 6 after reading the comments and did not get anywhere.  I concluded that I had done something in the menu that was causing the problem.  I initialized the camera to factory setting and low and behold my camera works now.  My conclusion is that resetting does not have the menu setting that caused my problem.  Yes even when the EFCS is turned off. Hope this helps.

Focus1926 New Member • Posts: 1

I have sony nex6 in 2013 after only one year of use. I tried everything and continue to with it for 2 years with the same error: turn on the camera, first shoot and error... Deactivating the EFCS delete the error but the shutter lag annoying me a lot. So i don't use my camera for a while and start to use again in 2018 with the same error... I was so DESPERATE and look on internet to find a solution before throw it!! I heard the SLAMMED solution. I think i SLAMMED my camera more than 10 times with still the same error. BUT today (2018.05.07), i SLAMMED again my sony nex 6 with more energy and what???! The error completely DISAPPEARED !!!! I think i didn't SLAMMED enough strongly before that's why the magnet couldn't go back. For the first time i use my sony nex6 all the day without any error. I still can't believe. So happy and lucky to fix it. So i can continue to use my sony nex 6 camera until the Sony a6700 comes out. (sorry for my english, i'm Korean and i know my english is poor) but i wanna give some hope to sony nex6 users in 2018.

Have nice day!

2018.05.08- I confirmed that the error DISAPPEARED Completely. I use my camera all the day again with any error. 2 days with no error. What a beautiful life!!! ^^

Frddag New Member • Posts: 1

Hi. I also had this error after dropping my camera on the carpet from a low height.

I have successfully corrected the problem by following the advice to bang the body of the camera firmly with the palm of your hand. Initially this didn’t work but after a few more firm attempts from different angles it is back working with no apparent damage and the fault message has gone. I haven’t used it yet for a days photography as it was a night time fix; but I can’t see that there will be a problem. I will report again if the problem reoccurs. I guess be very careful not to drop your  NEX 6.

Ray Maines
Ray Maines Veteran Member • Posts: 4,183

Frddag wrote:

Hi. I also had this error after dropping my camera on the carpet from a low height.

I have successfully corrected the problem by following the advice to bang the body of the camera firmly with the palm of your hand. Initially this didn’t work but after a few more firm attempts from different angles it is back working with no apparent damage and the fault message has gone. I haven’t used it yet for a days photography as it was a night time fix; but I can’t see that there will be a problem. I will report again if the problem reoccurs. I guess be very careful not to drop your NEX 6.

You might be interested to read THIS THREAD :

-- hide signature --

I own a camera, I don't belong to a tribe.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads