Best 1 inch sensor camera?

Started Mar 28, 2017 | Discussions
Evenstar606
Evenstar606 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,862
Best 1 inch sensor camera?

Eventually I want to move up to a 1 inch sensor camera and learn how to shoot RAW and edit. I know they are all expensive, but from everything I've heard on the forum, if I don't want the bulk of a dslr, and to be honest for what I do I don't need a dslr, then a one inch sensor camera would be a good choice.

But I've read a lot of conflicting reviews. The Sony RX100 3 and 4 seem to be the best.  I currently have a Sony hx80. The Canon G7X II seems good on paper, but I heard the images have soft corners. Image quality is important to me for printing 4x6 and 8x10. Most of my photos are indoors and anyone who has read my posts knows the lighting in my home isn't the best for photography. I.e.: low light, fluorescent light. I've read a bright lens is good for low light.

As far as subject, I photograph my four poodles. They are well behaved during photos though I haven't tried to get many photos of them in motion. Running, jumping, etc.

Evenstar606's gear list:Evenstar606's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Apple iPhone X
Canon G7 X II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 16,383
Re: Best 1 inch sensor camera?

Evenstar606 wrote:

Eventually I want to move up to a 1 inch sensor camera and learn how to shoot RAW and edit. I know they are all expensive, but from everything I've heard on the forum, if I don't want the bulk of a dslr, and to be honest for what I do I don't need a dslr, then a one inch sensor camera would be a good choice.

But I've read a lot of conflicting reviews. The Sony RX100 3 and 4 seem to be the best.

The RX100M5 is the best of the RX100 series, particularly if you need faster, more reliable focusing. If you need a much longer, but slower, lens, the RX10M3 is better, but it's as bulky and heavy as a DSLR.

I currently have a Sony hx80. The Canon G7X II seems good on paper, but I heard the images have soft corners. Image quality is important to me for printing 4x6 and 8x10. Most of my photos are indoors and anyone who has read my posts knows the lighting in my home isn't the best for photography. I.e.: low light, fluorescent light. I've read a bright lens is good for low light.

The G7X ii has a longer, slightly brighter lens than the RX100. The soft corners are only at the wide end (which is actually slightly wider than the RX100M3 and later), and don't affect most real-world pictures (which rarely need razor sharp corners anyway). The image quality of both cameras will be very similar.

As far as subject, I photograph my four poodles. They are well behaved during photos though I haven't tried to get many photos of them in motion. Running, jumping, etc.

If you do, the faster focusing and very fast burst mode of the RX100M5 would definitely be an advantage. You might also want to shoot 4k videos, from which you can extract good quality 8mp still frames.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +22 more
Evenstar606
OP Evenstar606 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,862

The G7X II is also cheaper than the RX100 4 and 5. It also has a built in hand grip. There are so many cameras out there, it's hard to decide which is best for my needs! It's good to know the soft corners aren't that big a deal, that puts it back on my contender list for more research. 😊

rokaroka
rokaroka Regular Member • Posts: 395

Another point to consider is that if you already have the HX80 then moving to an RX100Mx would mean very little learning curve. You already know the Sony "operating system." I mention this because I wanted a superzoom to supplement my RX100M3 and ended up buy a Panasonic ZS50. I can't tell you how many shots I missed because I couldn't quickly get the camera set the way I wanted. It was frustrating enough that I ended up buy an HX90V and was productive with it right out of the box. Just something else to consider while making a decision.

rokaroka's gear list:rokaroka's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Sony RX100 VA Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 Xiaomi Mi Sphere 3.5K +1 more
btolley Contributing Member • Posts: 824

Evenstar606 wrote:

But I've read a lot of conflicting reviews. The Sony RX100 3 and 4 seem to be the best. I currently have a Sony hx80. The Canon G7X II seems good on paper, but I heard the images have soft corners. Image quality is important to me for printing 4x6 and 8x10. Most of my photos are indoors and anyone who has read my posts knows the lighting in my home isn't the best for photography. I.e.: low light, fluorescent light. I've read a bright lens is good for low light.

Based on your comments, the RX100M3 is probably perfect.  Sure the M4/5 have more bells and whistles, but they also cost more.

I shoot the M2, and the main big difference with the M3 and up for me is the lens, I would prefer to have the 24-70 1.8-2.8 over the 28-100 1.8-4.9 in the M2.  The EVF would also be nice to have.

Other than that, the main difference with the 4/5 is 4K video.  There is quite a price jump between the M3 and M4, so you would have to decide if the 4K video is worth it to you, along with the few other improvements is worth the extra $.

I'm sure you would be very happy with the M3.

Brett

-- hide signature --
 btolley's gear list:btolley's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony a99 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +8 more
Evenstar606

Yes, thank you! That was something I was keeping in mind. The Sony wasn't difficult to learn the controls. So I wouldn't be totally lost!

John McCormack
John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 6,924
Re: Best 1 inch sensor camera? G7 x MK ii, IMO

Sony has possibly better video and the EVF of course, but since I don't shoot video I prefer the Canon G7 X ii for the following features:

• Longer zoom that also holds its wide aperture a bit better than the RX100 iii. See the equivalent table below from the DPR review.

The G7 X II and RX100 III start off at the same spot, but up until about 50mm the former has a equivalent aperture advantage of up to about two-thirds of a stop. The two cameras are matched until the RX100 III's focal range ends at 70mm. The G7 X continues on to 100mm at F2.8 (~F7.6 equiv.), which is one of its big selling points.

• Touch screen interface.
  • A built-in 3 stop ND filter with manual and auto settings. Very handy for shooting in bright light when you need fast apertures.
  • IMO, a simpler more intuitive menu system.
  • Time-lapse recording (Sony may offer this as an add on in the app store.)
  • A better grip. Sony is like holding a wet bar of soap, IMO.
  • In camera RAW processing. Not sure if Sony has this. Maybe.
  • Adaptive Image Stabilization with Dual Sensing IS technology provides up to 4-stop correction.
  • Auto Lighting Optimizer and Diffraction Correction. Nice!
  • Customized Picture Styles. There are now actual pictures styles, with the ability to fine tune the threshold and amount of sharpening (which I've never seen before in a Canon camera) aside from the usual contrast, saturation, and color shift. You can now shoot RAW in B&W. (not possible in Mark I)
SoCalWill
SoCalWill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,299

The biggest issue with your images is lack of lighting, which even using a ten thousand dollar camera would not solve; you should first put $70 towards a speedlight and practice using it before spending an order of magnitude more for modestly better image quality.

-- hide signature --

Digital Camera and Adobe Photoshop user since 1999.
Adobe Lightroom is my adult coloring book.

SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max
Evenstar606

SoCalWill wrote:

The biggest issue with your images is lack of lighting, which even using a ten thousand dollar camera would not solve; you should first put $70 towards a speedlight and practice using it before spending an order of magnitude more for modestly better image quality.

That would definitely save me a TON of money. Googling now to see who sells them.

Evenstar606

On a side note, thank you so much for your advice and keeping me grounded before I go insane and spend more money. I tend to have buyer's remorse because I'm a penny pincher, and I have to keep telling myself it's lack of skill and poor lighting that are causing my issues, and not poor choice in camera. 😊

Evenstar606

SoCalWill wrote:

The biggest issue with your images is lack of lighting, which even using a ten thousand dollar camera would not solve; you should first put $70 towards a speedlight and practice using it before spending an order of magnitude more for modestly better image quality.

Is it this? Do they sell these at a Best Buy?

https://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-YN560-IV-Speedlite-Panasonic/dp/B00PGTOX26

Evenstar606

SoCalWill wrote:

Just realized I never saw your replies to my other posts, where you explained about the speedlight! And you even put up the link to it...in those replies and this post! Now I feel dumb lol. I guess I didn't realize it was a link. 😳 Sounds like it will work for me.

Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,890

That flash does not mention Sony in its description and may not fit Sony's not-quite-standard flash shoe. It's also not TTL so you would need to learn how to control a flash manually. This is generally a good thing to learn but may be an extra step you don't want at this stage.

This flash will work in a fully integrated fashion with your camera but is not as versatile or powerful as the one Will suggested. Personally, I would pay a bit extra and get this new Godox flash as it seems better value than the Meike and Godox is getting a good reputation for quality. Alternatively, for $120, this Godox flash is the equivalent of the Yong-Nuo but with TTL metering.

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 8-25mm F4 Pro
Evenstar606

The Sony HX80 does not have a flash shoe, so I can't mount it to the camera. The way Will explained, it's triggered wirelessly?  I wish there were more HX80 users on here so I can ask what they use if they have one. But the hx90 v is similar, isn't it? So if it works for that it would work for the hx80?

bjotings Regular Member • Posts: 228

Never had any problems using the flash on my RX100 IV, and I rarely see the point in using an external flash.  In most cases I don't use the in-camera flash at all - as ISO settings around 1000 ISO will be sufficient to produce OK images. For typical pictures of family events  (with serveral people  around a large table) I direct the in-camera flash at the ceiling to produce nice images with a decent soft light with no shadows.

BRG
BT

bjotings's gear list:bjotings's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 IV Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +5 more
Evenstar606

I can tilt the flash on my HX80, but not as much as the RX models tilt. I can't point it all the way up unfortunately.

SoCalWill

You need only diffuse the flash on your camera, using white cloth, wax paper, paper towel, whatever's handy. The speedlight is super-sensitive and needs only a hint of flash to fire.

-- hide signature --

Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max
rapick
rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,468
Re: Speedlight for shooting poodles? NO! please...

Evenstar606 wrote:

SoCalWill wrote:

Is it this? Do they sell these at a Best Buy?

https://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-YN560-IV-Speedlite-Panasonic/dp/B00PGTOX26

a flash firing directly into the eyes of a dog (or cat) is not just a problem of 'red eyes' as with humans! Their eyes are much more sensitive and may suffer permanent damage!!!

You may want to use the little pop-up flash of the RX100 III, but always in 'bounce' mode, i.e. manually holding it to direct the light upward (as I understand you already do).

And I don't see the need for an external (more powerful) light. The onboard flash is enough  inside a home living room. With RX100  III+ you can use the maximum aperture (f/1.8-2.8) and  rise ISO up to e.g. 1600 and still retain decent image quality.

Maybe there is a reason why Sony withdrew the flash socket for this camera...

Hope will help.

-- hide signature --
 rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +6 more
btolley Contributing Member • Posts: 824

Evenstar606 wrote:

The Sony HX80 does not have a flash shoe, so I can't mount it to the camera. The way Will explained, it's triggered wirelessly? I wish there were more HX80 users on here so I can ask what they use if they have one. But the hx90 v is similar, isn't it? So if it works for that it would work for the hx80?

I doubt you will find too many HX80 users who use an external flash with the camera.  It is essentially a high end point and shoot camera.

Not sure your photography skills, but suggest you will be better off learning how to maximize the ability of your camera using available light.  It will bode you well in the future, when you have a more expensive camera.

Brett

-- hide signature --
 btolley's gear list:btolley's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony a99 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +8 more
SoCalWill
Re: Speedlight for shooting poodles? NO! please...

rapick wrote:

a flash firing directly into the eyes of a dog (or cat) is not just a problem of 'red eyes' as with humans!

Hope will help.

Not helpful; we've already been through this in previous threads, that the speedlight is ceiling-bounced and the pop flash is diffused, so there is no direct light on the subjects/in the composition. You absolutely should be using a full-size flash for any indoor situation where there isn't enough light, this is why pro pet photographers have studios.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads