Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary vs Sport

Started Mar 28, 2017 | Discussions
jordannet Forum Member • Posts: 71
Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary vs Sport

hello professionals

i am planing to buy Sigma 150-600mm but i am still unsure about which one should i buy , Contemporary or Sport , i read too many reviews they all have almost the same sharpness , but i watched reviews said that contemporary struggle when focusing at 600mm , and sport little bit faster , other reviews said Contemporary faster in focusing .. regardless of great built of sport vs contemporary and metal and other things ... which one is faster in focusing at all focal length ? please advice

Maen

jordannet's gear list:jordannet's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter +2 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 16,979
Re: Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary vs Sport

Get the Contemporary. No I don't have one, but the Contemporary is half the price and you won't know the difference between the image quality unless you're pixel-peeping a lot. If you're asking, then you either don't really have the money to be spending twice as much for an almost identical lens, or you probably don't want to spend so much money. If money is no concern, then think of this . . . the Contemporary is significantly lighter. The Sports lens is 2 lbs. heavier than the Contemporary. That's almost 50% heavier!

If you get the Contemporary and you're completely happy with it, then you don't have to ever worry again . . . but if you get it and you're worried about water getting into it, and you wish you spent the extra money to get the Sport model, and you really don't care about the extra weight of the Sport model, then you can return the Contemporary and spend the extra money to upgrade to the Sport lens.

BTW, you should get the USB dock for $60 more, so you can made adjustments to the lens, such as focusing speed adjustments, close and far fine tuning focus adjustments, etc.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +27 more
OP jordannet Forum Member • Posts: 71

Scottelly wrote:

Get the Contemporary. No I don't have one, but the Contemporary is half the price and you won't know the difference between the image quality unless you're pixel-peeping a lot. If you're asking, then you either don't really have the money to be spending twice as much for an almost identical lens, or you probably don't want to spend so much money. If money is no concern, then think of this . . . the Contemporary is significantly lighter. The Sports lens is 2 lbs. heavier than the Contemporary. That's almost 50% heavier!

If you get the Contemporary and you're completely happy with it, then you don't have to ever worry again . . . but if you get it and you're worried about water getting into it, and you wish you spent the extra money to get the Sport model, and you really don't care about the extra weight of the Sport model, then you can return the Contemporary and spend the extra money to upgrade to the Sport lens.

BTW, you should get the USB dock for $60 more, so you can made adjustments to the lens, such as focusing speed adjustments, close and far fine tuning focus adjustments, etc.

thank you for reply  i have many options actually the lens will be gift of my birthday , i was thinking about canon 600mm , but what is difference ? should get canon 600mm if i already have 600mm focal length in 150-600mm ? please advice

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter +2 more
rick decker
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 18,442

You need to find someone who has hands-on with the Contemporary. The Sport is a beast but produces excellent images across the frame at all focal lengths. For its weight and sige AF works well. Lots of samples in the Sugma User Gallery. I haven't heard anything hands-on yet about the C on this forum. I asked someone from Sigma who was familiar with both lenses and this person said that the S was better in the corners.

http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr/sigma_150600_s

OP jordannet Forum Member • Posts: 71

rick decker wrote:

You need to find someone who has hands-on with the Contemporary. The Sport is a beast but produces excellent images across the frame at all focal lengths. For its weight and sige AF works well. Lots of samples in the Sugma User Gallery. I haven't heard anything hands-on yet about the C on this forum. I asked someone from Sigma who was familiar with both lenses and this person said that the S was better in the corners.

hi , thanks for reply , i don't care of weight because there is gimbal head i will use , but i care of fast focus , i still actually confused , should i buy sigma 150-600mm or buy canon 600mm or canon 500mm , i read too many comparison online , but everyone say something different , i read someone said that sigma C faster in focus than S , but later on i watched video compare between C and S in focus , C struggle at 600mm for me mainly i am focusing on fast focus and sharp image , so what i have to choose between Sigma 150-600mm S , Canon 500mm , Canon 600mm .. which one is best? and one more thing , should i buy canon 600mm if i have lens with 600mm focal length like Sigma 150-600mm ?

hikerdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,175

jordannet wrote:

rick decker wrote:

hi , thanks for reply , i don't care of weight because there is gimbal head i will use , but i care of fast focus , i still actually confused , should i buy sigma 150-600mm or buy canon 600mm or canon 500mm , i read too many comparison online , but everyone say something different , i read someone said that sigma C faster in focus than S , but later on i watched video compare between C and S in focus , C struggle at 600mm for me mainly i am focusing on fast focus and sharp image , so what i have to choose between Sigma 150-600mm S , Canon 500mm , Canon 600mm .. which one is best? and one more thing , should i buy canon 600mm if i have lens with 600mm focal length like Sigma 150-600mm ?

That is quite a jump from choosing between Sigma C and S 150-600 zooms to should I just get the 600 Canon prime. If you are really just looking for 600mm and have the additional $9500 necessary to step up from the sport zoom to the prime, the easy answer is get the Canon 600 prime.

D

hikerdoc's gear list:hikerdoc's gear list
Apple iPhone 8
rick decker
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 18,442

I can't speak from any knowledge first-hand of the Canon 500/600.  Primes generally will be sharper and faster focus. It's really hard to advise without  knowing what you shoot and what you like.  If you can zoom with your feet (as Laurence Matson says), I would go with a prime.  IF you prefer to fiddle with focal length then given your equiment I would go for the zoom-beast (Sport).  Did you check the images on the link I sent you on my previous post.  Worth looking at.

jtr27
jtr27 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,324

hikerdoc wrote:

jordannet wrote:

rick decker wrote:

That is quite a jump from choosing between Sigma C and S 150-600 zooms to should I just get the 600 Canon prime. If you are really just looking for 600mm and have the additional $9500 necessary to step up from the sport zoom to the prime, the easy answer is get the Canon 600 prime.

D

Agree.  I owned the Tamron 150-600 for a while.  I was surprised how often I shot it at <600mm, not only because it was softest at 600mm, but just as frequently I simply didn't need 600mm.  
I would start with the Contemporary, as others here have suggested, and see if that meets your needs before laying out the very substantial coin for a 500-600mm prime.

Don_Campbell Veteran Member • Posts: 3,069

jordannet wrote:

hello professionals

i am planing to buy Sigma 150-600mm but i am still unsure about which one should i buy , Contemporary or Sport , i read too many reviews they all have almost the same sharpness , but i watched reviews said that contemporary struggle when focusing at 600mm , and sport little bit faster , other reviews said Contemporary faster in focusing .. regardless of great built of sport vs contemporary and metal and other things ... which one is faster in focusing at all focal length ? please advice

Maen

I have the 150-600 Contemporary. I bought it over the Sport because of weight. Where I shoot, I have to carry camera & lens and tripod around to get a good position and the weight of the Contemporary is plenty without going for the extra weight of the Sport.

The slight difference in edge sharpness some tests have found at 600mm, F 6.3, is irrelevant with a crop sensor or with cropping a full frame sensor image. Either kind of crop would be typical for the wildlife shots I take.

Some tests have the lenses at a toss up when you look at different focal lengths. I didn't read the review below closely enough to know if dock MFA adjustments were applied at 4 focal lengths and 4 distances but I think I get very sharp images at F6.3 over the full range of focal lengths and distances with my dock adjustments. I used the lens for 8 months before I took the time to do the 16 adjustments with the dock. The lens was good before I adjusted the AF but it was better afterwards.

http://improvephotography.com/36962/sigma-150-600mm-sport-vs-contemporary-lens-review/

The weather sealed Sport would be a good choice if you needed to be in rain or dust while working. I retreat for both.

I find that hand-holding is often necessary for shooting fast birds in flight. My typical birds are peregrine falcons at close range. Being able to zoom out is important in order to back off from the 600mm when birds are close. The extra weight of the Sport would make things more difficult for me at full zoom (the lens is more awkward when longer and the framing is more difficult at full zoom). The Canon 600 is a nice lens but fixed focal length is too limiting for my use and hand holding it is a major challenge for colleagues

The autofocus of the C was speeded up by one of the firmware upgrades. The IS was also tweaked in a couple of ways in a firmware upgrade. I assume that the Sport got similar upgrades. Being able to upgrade the firmware without sending in the lens is another important advantage of the Sigma Dock.

I cannot think of images where I have stopped down more than F 8 and even F 8 is rare. At wide open the lens is sharp enough that other aspects of the conditions are typically more significant to the results. (Moving to optimize position on a bird that flies into the area at 120 mph can be impractical.)

Don_Campbell's gear list:Don_Campbell's gear list
Canon EOS R5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads