Wireless Remote Shutter Release for D500

Started Mar 28, 2017 | Discussions
PankajBhakta_nz New Member • Posts: 24
Wireless Remote Shutter Release for D500

Hi All,

Please suggest a Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Nikon D500.

Do not like to spend on the Nikon's WR-AR10 which is quite expensive.

Appreciate if forum members can suggest the model they are using for their D500.

Found one on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/RFN-4s-Wireless-Shutter-Release-connection/dp/B005PCDSBQ

Not sure how good is this one.

Thanks.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
 PankajBhakta_nz's gear list:PankajBhakta_nz's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
CheddarMonkey Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: Wireless Remote Shutter Release for D500

Can't you use snapbridge via a smartphone?

n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,686

CheddarMonkey wrote:

That particular function of Snapbridge requires a Wi-Fi connection. This requires a connection via Bluetooth first. I have been able to connect via Bluetooth, and transfer small 2MB images, but Wi-Fi never worked for me.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
Joseph V. Morris
Joseph V. Morris Contributing Member • Posts: 713

CheddarMonkey wrote:

Darn.  I just took a gulp of coffee before reading that! 

Sure ya can . . . and afterwards come back here and we'll talk about some reliable, cheap, and functional alternatives.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

Joseph V. Morris's gear list:Joseph V. Morris's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +16 more
CheddarMonkey Forum Member • Posts: 82

What about using the in-camera intervalometer or delaying the shutter by 2 seconds?

bobhp Regular Member • Posts: 211

beyond_horizon wrote:

Hi All,

Appreciate if forum members can suggest the model they are using for their D500.

Found one on Amazon

Thanks.

Cheers,

I have been using the one linked too on my D810 for about three months now with no problems, Iv'e not yet tried it on my D500 but I see no reason why it would not work just as well.

bobhp's gear list:bobhp's gear list
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
K1XH Contributing Member • Posts: 649

My son uses one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPS-Studio-Wireless-Remote-Shutter-Releasefor-Nikon-10-Pin-Connectors-/272606311029?hash=item3f789a3275:g:yFAAAOSwcUBYO1QS

I use the Nikon wireless model

-- hide signature --

Micky - K1XH
Hartland, VT

K1XH's gear list:K1XH's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Coolpix P90 Nikon Coolpix L110 Nikon D1H +19 more
Joseph V. Morris
Joseph V. Morris Contributing Member • Posts: 713

CheddarMonkey wrote:

What about using the in-camera intervalometer or delaying the shutter by 2 seconds?

Well, the real option there would be a wired shutter release, not a wireless remote.  The whole point of the wireless remotes is to allow you to work the shutter when you are not standing right at the camera.  A wired shutter release generally doesn't require batteries (I think) and costs even less than a wireless remote.

For wireless remotes, I tend to use the inexpensive Vello units (which are so cheap I think some people are reluctant to mention they use them also).  What I particularly like about these is that all I have to do is swap the connecting cable to the camera and I can use it with almost any camera I or my kids own.  If you want more functionality, there are at least two higher functionality versions of the Vello, all the way up to units that give you a remote view finder.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

Joseph V. Morris's gear list:Joseph V. Morris's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +16 more
vbuhay
vbuhay Veteran Member • Posts: 5,052

beyond_horizon wrote:

Hi All,

Found one on Amazon

Thanks.

Cheers,

I use the Yongnuo RF-603 N3 it works as a wireless shutter release and as a Flash trigger as well. I have six units (4 remote flash, 1 camera Transcievers and 1 handheld transceiver) and can be use with D800e, D500 and D750 (with a different cable).....I use AAA Eneloops with mine - long lasting rechargables...quite inexpensive and really versatile!

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +37 more
camguyed Regular Member • Posts: 403
 camguyed's gear list:camguyed's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Nikon Coolpix W300 Nikon D300 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 +8 more
Weerterbos
Weerterbos Regular Member • Posts: 216

There was a 'free' wireless remote with the Meike battery grip I bought.

https://s.s-bol.com/imgbase0/imagebase3/large/FC/2/0/1/3/9200000064003102_1.jpg

Weerterbos's gear list:Weerterbos's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +5 more
arniebook Senior Member • Posts: 2,100

I bought a cheap one from Amazon several years ago and used it with my D300.  It fires instantaneously from inside the house to catch hummingbirds in the garden.  It works the same on my D500.  No need to spend more than about $30 US.

-- hide signature --

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times (x) what we justify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the enjoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $²(E(X)+ )=$xxxx

arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +3 more
OP PankajBhakta_nz New Member • Posts: 24

I am unable to use the Smartphone as it cannot find my D500 after I changed the SSID.

I have raised a request for help in a separate thread

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59272577

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
Kevin TTL Forum Member • Posts: 51

I tested my snapbridge once just to make sure it worked but have not revisited it to try to unleash the power, if it exists, of that interface. I have a question about these other wireless remotes though. Are they instantaneous or is there the same lag as snapbridge?

Kevin TTL's gear list:Kevin TTL's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Nikon D500 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Tokina AT-X 12-28mm f/4 Pro DX Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +2 more

Hey Joseph V. Morris,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I guess a wired shutter release would probably be more reliable but after using the Nikon ML-L3 reliably with my earlier camera I found it to be very useful.

The best use will be where you are also in the group photo with family or friends. You can use the remote to trigger the shutter for several photographs.

You don't have to set the timer and run several times when you want to take multiple shots. I know these are rare occasions when the photographer is being photograph but sometimes it is required.

The other use is when you want to put the camera on a tripod few feet away for shooting birds, butterflies etc.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
vbuhay
vbuhay Veteran Member • Posts: 5,052

beyond_horizon wrote:

Hey Joseph V. Morris,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I guess a wired shutter release would probably be more reliable but after using the Nikon ML-L3 reliably with my earlier camera I found it to be very useful.

The best use will be where you are also in the group photo with family or friends. You can use the remote to trigger the shutter for several photographs.

You don't have to set the timer and run several times when you want to take multiple shots. I know these are rare occasions when the photographer is being photograph but sometimes it is required.

The other use is when you want to put the camera on a tripod few feet away for shooting birds, butterflies etc.

Cheers,

You did not mention - I use it mostly for Night sky shots like these:

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +37 more
athomasphoto Regular Member • Posts: 280

beyond_horizon wrote:

Hi All,

Found one on Amazon

Thanks.

Cheers,

Contemplated this for a while till I was starting to do some sporting events where I really needed a remote option.

Try to find the best deal on the Yongnuo RF-603 - they're generally under $30 but are essentially a high-end 2.4ghz remote system without all the options.  I've been really shocked at the success I've had with them, as well as the battery life - range is awesome as well - they've convinced me to get some of their other systems in the future this season.

Just check the cables that they come with - I think the one in the box was okay for me D500 but not the flat-style D7200 type. Got the extra cable and they work perfectly on all the Nikons I own. They're great little flash triggers / remotes as well - your options are almost endless.

athomasphoto's gear list:athomasphoto's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +3 more
lambert4
lambert4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,335

I bought the exact one you linked to, it is perfect.  As a remote release even for long exposures and such.  Small enough that with the provided retail pack it fits nicely in my bag.  I was so frustrated with the Snapbridge app.  I am thinking of adding a few of a speed light remote base if they offer it to further expand the system.  I also have a TrgiggerTrap shutter release that functions through my smartphone.  Though the latter I use for high speed using sound or movement to trigger the release.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +3 more

Thanks for your feedback

Are you using it with D500.

-- hide signature --
lambert4
lambert4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,335

yes, in fact I just leave it on on family hikes, so I can toss the camera on an ultra pod and take group shots with myself included.  Never fails.  Also works nicely for product shots and I have my hotshot free for speed light wire or remote flash unit.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads