Epson Stylus Pro 9800

Started Mar 25, 2017 | Questions
mfashbaugh New Member • Posts: 2
Epson Stylus Pro 9800

Hello! I am wanting to invest in a large format printer. I don't have a lot of money, but found someone selling a used 9800. The machine has printed about 300 pages and has the original head, etc. No maintenance has been performed and no parts replaced. I am aware that parts and service can be very expensive and am also aware of the ink costs. I cannot afford a brand new printer and am desperate to start making some prints. As an artist, I have been in a funk because my work is very experimental with materials and have just not been able to create anything due to lack of resources. I want to pull the trigger and just take the risk and buy this printer. The seller was asking $1,600 and I have talked him down to $1,200. I am looking for some advice on whether or not this is a good investment or if you have any alternative ideas. Please weigh in! Thank you!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
technoid Senior Member • Posts: 2,276
Re: Epson Stylus Pro 9800

mfashbaugh wrote:

Hello! I am wanting to invest in a large format printer. I don't have a lot of money, but found someone selling a used 9800. The machine has printed about 300 pages and has the original head, etc. No maintenance has been performed and no parts replaced. I am aware that parts and service can be very expensive and am also aware of the ink costs. I cannot afford a brand new printer and am desperate to start making some prints. As an artist, I have been in a funk because my work is very experimental with materials and have just not been able to create anything due to lack of resources. I want to pull the trigger and just take the risk and buy this printer. The seller was asking $1,600 and I have talked him down to $1,200. I am looking for some advice on whether or not this is a good investment or if you have any alternative ideas. Please weigh in! Thank you!

For what it's worth I have an Epson 9800 that was idle for over 5 years after a couple years of usage. All the head channels were clogged. I bought new OEM ink cartridges and waste tanks, ran the head over some damp microfiber cloth, added two cleaning cycles, and the think has been running like a champ since. Colors are spot on with profiles I made 7 years ago too.

mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 8,712

The x800 series are well built and can last for a long time. I've been buying used x800 series printers for years (three so far, two 4800s and one 7800) and if you buy them already working they should be fine. Just make sure the owner can show you a clean nozzle check pattern and have him also print out a small picture, and if both look good then it's a good buy.

But if any of the nozzles are plugged then either don't buy it or at least have him knock the price way down because sometimes you can unplug the nozzles and sometimes you can't, and if you can't then you've just bought yourself a very expensive (and very large) paper weight.

OP mfashbaugh New Member • Posts: 2

That's amazing to hear! Can you tell me what you mean exactly by running the head over damp microfiber cloth? How would I do this? I purchased it yesterday and tried to run a nozzle check, but unfortunately the thing is low on ink, so I couldn't get a good read. It appears to have a lot of missing pattern from the check.

mfashbaugh wrote:

That's amazing to hear! Can you tell me what you mean exactly by running the head over damp microfiber cloth? How would I do this? I purchased it yesterday and tried to run a nozzle check, but unfortunately the thing is low on ink, so I couldn't get a good read. It appears to have a lot of missing pattern from the check.

I bought a new set of OEM inks (220ml). installed them. Did a nozzle check - nothing. I would not even try my older ones first. When I first cranked up the 9800 with the new inks not a single nozzle was working. I was not surprised. I thought the chances less tha 50/50 that I could get it working at all after so many years idle.

Then I got some microfiber cloth and a product called "magic bullet" which looks like an ammonia based liquid. I bought it at the same time I ordered inks. Dampened the cloth, and slid it under the print head. Magic bullet has a video on how to do this. Left it an hour (I think they recommend longer but I was impatient). Ran a clean from the control panel. Takes about 15 minutes or so. Did a nozzle check and there were perhaps 10 nozzles that were still clogged. Ran a short clean cycle and 1 page print of a profile patch pattern then did a nozzle check and they were all firing properly.

Ever since then if I let it sit more than 3 or 4 days one or two segments will be blank. It always behaved that way (humidity is about 40%) . If so, I just print another patch pattern and the nozzle checks are perfect.

RGBCMYK
RGBCMYK Senior Member • Posts: 2,218

I love my 7800 and if you don't buy the 9800 I will!!!  Where is it?

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/chris_broughton/
www.christopherbroughton.com

RGBCMYK's gear list:RGBCMYK's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 4900 +1 more
LJDesign New Member • Posts: 5

I am a graphic designer with a Epson 9800 printer.  I'm a light user but have used this printer for large display signs on adhesive stock as well as other media.  This is a great printer and seems you're getting a great price.

RGBCMYK
RGBCMYK Senior Member • Posts: 2,218

LJDesign wrote:

I am a graphic designer with a Epson 9800 printer. I'm a light user but have used this printer for large display signs on adhesive stock as well as other media. This is a great printer and seems you're getting a great price.

Did you see the post was from 2017!  I wonder if the printer is still working.

-- hide signature --

My street photography with over 1000 images https://www.instagram.com/chris_broughton/
www.christopherbroughton.com

RGBCMYK's gear list:RGBCMYK's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 4900 +1 more

RGBCMYK wrote:

LJDesign wrote:

I am a graphic designer with a Epson 9800 printer. I'm a light user but have used this printer for large display signs on adhesive stock as well as other media. This is a great printer and seems you're getting a great price.

Did you see the post was from 2017! I wonder if the printer is still working.

Don't know about his but my 9800 is still working quite well. Frankly, I'm kind of amazed given how old the beast is and how badly I've treated it from time to time.

I have an Epson 9800 Pro. I'm a graphic designer and bought this about 6 years ago for a job.  Now I use it for stuff my little rinky dink printer can't handle.  I really like this printer, since I'm a light user, I haven't had any problems with it.  It is challenging to match colors as there are many print drivers you can use according to material used.  I also use cheap bond rolls for architectural plans, which is totally acceptable.  $1200 sounds like a fair price and a good deal - if the machine is working well.

MichaelHK Regular Member • Posts: 189

Tips:

1, To clean Epson 4/7/9800 clogged heads: You cannot force it. Run 1 page (max 2) auto-nozzle check a day for 3 days. 95% of the time this should be enough.. (Well, run an extra day or extra page on the 3rd day if there's still a few nozzles blocked). The rest 5% of the time you may want to print full page (letter size) with a single color..

2, Buy expired inks from your local pro shop.. Often they are 50% off..

3, Buy a chip resetter so you can reset the waste-ink tank (Replace with layers of paper towels or diapers)

MichaelHK's gear list:MichaelHK's gear list
Nikon Z6

lol, new user, did not see the date!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads