New Dad Indoor Setup?

Started Mar 20, 2017 | Discussions
FooHead Regular Member • Posts: 309
New Dad Indoor Setup?

So, baby on the way and I am thinking my present kit will do me, but am looking for others in my boat to maybe offer some advice or tips to make things better/easier.

Gear list:

canon 80D

18-135 stm

50mm f1.8ii

35mm f2 non is

I'm pretty sure this will do me for in hospital and at home pics. Is there anything else that I am missing that would be beneficial?

Thanks

FooHead's gear list:FooHead's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Szumi Contributing Member • Posts: 768
Re: New Dad Indoor Setup?

Good backup systems.  You don't want to lose the family photos due to a drive crash.

Szumi's gear list:Szumi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 700D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +12 more
csxfan
csxfan Regular Member • Posts: 378

just for giggles i would go with the 10-18mm. nice wide for getting everybody and everything,. would give you from 10-135. nice range for all your needs. other than stocking up on batteries and memory cards, you seem good to go.

cheers - john

csxfan's gear list:csxfan's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Pentax K-5 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 +9 more
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,933

Swap out the 35mm for the IS version - it's an absolute peach of a lens, and the IS will just give you that extra insurance policy for a shot you'll never be able to capture again.

Other than that, I'd get a cheap flash & a diffuser if you can get away with using one in a hospital, or definitely for home. Point it up to the roof to just add some fill light - hospitals and indoors can be a dog for lighting - you'll want every help in that department you can get!

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +3 more
OP FooHead Regular Member • Posts: 309

I have thought about updating my old 35mm for something faster/better iq. IS would be a bonus. Was considering these:

canon 35 mm is

tamron sp 35mm

canon 35mm L f1.4 ver i

canon 17-55 f2.8

sigma 18-35

Each has it's benefits, and hang ups. Any opinions?

Canon EOS 1100D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 23,794
Nothing wrong now with 35mm

The 35mm lens you already own is fine.

Get a good flash, and an umbrella.

Get a flat panel LED light to use with the video you should also shoot.

BAK

norbertn New Member • Posts: 13

FooHead wrote:

I have thought about updating my old 35mm for something faster/better iq. IS would be a bonus. Was considering these:

canon 35 mm is

tamron sp 35mm

canon 35mm L f1.4 ver i

canon 17-55 f2.8

sigma 18-35

Each has it's benefits, and hang ups. Any opinions?

I was in your shoes a few weeks ago. I had the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and rented Canon 35mm 1.4 II and the canon macro 100mm IS for my 5D iii.

At the hospital, the lens I used most was the 35mm. Light conditions at the hospital are generaly god. You don't need a flash nor do you want to use one on a newborn ( not even bounced).

Once at home, I got to play around with my other lenses especialy the 100mm for macro photos. I now shot with the sigma 24-105 f4 since baby is asleep most of the time

As for my advice to you, get either the canon 35mm IS or the canon 17-55 2.8 IS . When my first child was born, I had the Sigma 30mm and also rented the canon 60mm macro and was very happy with the results ( try to rent a macro for a few days once the baby arives- it's worth it). I do remember the 30mm was at times long on my crop ( T3i) in the confined space of the hospital but I managed just fine. I latter swaped it out for the canon 17-55 2.8 IS and have many great indoor baby pics with it and even more great indoor- outdoor todler pictures. Be sure to get the lens in advance so you can test them and get familiar with. As for backing up the photos, I would suggest a service like amazon prime photos ( unlimited ulpoads). Congrats on the new upcoming bundle of joy !

noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,933

I went for the Canon 35mm f2 IS, and have absolutely no regrets - wonderful little lens.

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +3 more
MolecularMan Regular Member • Posts: 211

Do you have a flash?

If not, the faster the lens, the better. You'll want to capture those cute spontaneous moments and it often occurs in poor light conditions.  I use my 50 1.8 most of the time.

Don't worry about IS. Yeah, it is great for camera shake at slower shutter speeds, but that won't matter when a baby is moving all over. You'll need a faster shutter speed or flash.

As someone else mentioned, a wide angle or even a fish eye can be really fun. I have enjoyed taking different shots with a wide angle. Just adds a different and fun look to standard kid photos.

MolecularMan's gear list:MolecularMan's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
bludragon Forum Member • Posts: 77

FooHead wrote:

So, baby on the way and I am thinking my present kit will do me, but am looking for others in my boat to maybe offer some advice or tips to make things better/easier.

Gear list:

canon 80D

18-135 stm

50mm f1.8ii

35mm f2 non is

I'm pretty sure this will do me for in hospital and at home pics. Is there anything else that I am missing that would be beneficial?

Thanks

I think you are set already... Bounced flash or other lighting to play with would be the biggest upgrade, but not strictly necessary with the 2 primes you have.

I do have the 100mm f2.8 macro and the 10-18 stm. Never thought of using them for home/baby shots though,  but I like the ideas you've all suggested...like you say, different and not the usual. Will be fun to experiment!

What I don't have is a flash. For home indoor shots will that come in more handy than a fast Zoom? There's a few used 17-50 f2.8' for sale locally, flashes to...

To my mind, I have the range of the 17-50 covered already with my 18-135 stm, and the f2.8 covered with my 2 primes. It would be a fun lens to get but....it would be duplicating what I already have.

Is there a general rule of thumb? Is bounce flash better, is fast zoom better than fast prime ..or is it personal preference?

MolecularMan Regular Member • Posts: 211

FooHead wrote:

Is there a general rule of thumb? Is bounce flash better, is fast zoom better than fast prime ..or is it personal preference?

Flash is a creature all to its own, and there can be a big learning curve. Without the proper knowledge and technique,  shots will look artificial, or simply won't turn out.   I have found (likely based on my limited flahsability) that shots using flash require more post processing.  The trade-off, however, is that the shots turned out sharper.  Of course, I also have a manual flash as it was cheap, so your mileage might vary if you go with a TTL.
On some occasions I have preferred the shots I got with a flash,  others I preferred natural light and using a faster lens.    Since I have upgraded from a T3I to a 6D,  I  rarely use my flash as I can push the 6D to a much higher ISO, and I prefer the look of using the light that's there.    To me, it gives a feel that's more representative of the real mood and environment from which the shot was taken.   But again, that could just be my limited ability with a flash talking.

MolecularMan's gear list:MolecularMan's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Jonathan Brady
Jonathan Brady Veteran Member • Posts: 6,326
Flash, depth of focus, noise

I think what is most important is for you to decide what your personal limit is for thin depth of focus and also for noise. With limited light the two are inversely proportional.

If you are okay with the depth of field that shooting wide open provides then noise would be the limiting factor in your current setup. If you are okay with a lot of noise then how deep the plane of focus is would be the limiting factor.

If you want a deep depth of focus and minimal noise you are going to have to use external light. And keep in mind that aperture is only one factor for the plane of focus. Distance to the subject is the other. So if you intend to shoot somewhat close to your child and you want both eyes in focus and they aren't both perpendicular to the camera you are going to have to stop down.

Using off camera flash really isn't that difficult and it can dramatically improve your results. If you are considering it I would recommend at least two flashes which can be controlled by radio signal.

I would also consider some of the accessories that magmod offers. I would recommend at least one and preferably two grids per flash head and also the standard gels for each flash head. Buying the sphere for at least one flash would be a good idea as well. I would think that the bounce would be optional for indoor shots like you are considering.

For an infant that isn't moving around you can take that opportunity to learn the system before your kid begins crawling and then running all over the place. Once your kid starts moving around it would be less prudent to try and focus the light on your kid and instead you would be better served using the flashes off camera to bounce off of walls and ceilings and evenly illuminate the room

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Sony a9 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +2 more
Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 3,644

Don't forget a helmet for when your wife throws a shoe or something else at you for taking pictures when you should be changing diapers.    Giving her the camera from time-to-time may help.  Enjoy your new baby and the next, wonderful phase of life.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon PowerShot S20 Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 80D +7 more
Dave Boy Regular Member • Posts: 280

Good list. Consider going full frame at some point. Maybe a used 6D. Full frame will offer better low light, shallower DOF, and turn your 35mm and 50mm lenses into something quite interesting (compared to cropped sensor). Also I'd recommend trying to use natural light as much as possible for baby photos.

Getting a new baby is always a GREAT excuse for getting new gear. I have four kids.

dave

KenMT Forum Member • Posts: 82

Don't concentrate so much on the photography that you miss the enjoyment of the delivery/ new baby. Enjoy the moment.

KenMT's gear list:KenMT's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +6 more

Thanks for the input gang, some great ideas that I never thought of. I think I'm going to go for a used ttl flash for home use and just use my primes for hospital stuff.

will bring my motorcycle helmut when I bring home new gear and to the hospital...just incase! Hehe!

justlikeit Regular Member • Posts: 126

This is a nice setup for both indoor and outdoor. Congratulations!

justlikeit's gear list:justlikeit's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Orange88 Regular Member • Posts: 293

Good photo library management software to organize all the pictures you're going to be taking - if you don't already have something.

If you're not shooting RAW then switch to it and get something like Lightroom so you have more flexibility in postprocessing.

Orange88's gear list:Orange88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +4 more
bigfatron Contributing Member • Posts: 757

FooHead wrote:

Gear list:

canon 80D

18-135 stm

50mm f1.8ii

35mm f2 non is

Thanks

I have a 5 month old and i've mainly been shooting (albeit with a FF body) with a Sigma 50mm Art. Second most used lens was the 35 f2 IS (which I used almost exclusively when his brothers were in intensive care). I've also used a 100 macro (the non-L version) for some closer-in shots (hand details etc).

One thing you may want to consider is lighting options. Since mine has been home i've been using off-camera flash bounced off the ceiling/walls quite a lot and it really doesn't seem to bother him.

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads