Love my G85, but hate JPEG colors... I want "Canon colors", how?

Started Mar 20, 2017 | Discussions
bsas
bsas Contributing Member • Posts: 512
Love my G85, but hate JPEG colors... I want "Canon colors", how?

So, I am moving from a Canon 70D to the Lumix G85. Features and hardware wise, I think the G85 beats the Canon any day, hands down. Loving that little camera here!

But, I always take JPEG+RAW and my personal goal is to have a nice SooC JPEG so the RAW is just a "backup" thing. I know that is hard, but I like when my JPEGs are nice to a point where I don't need to edit the RAW.

Based on that, I am suffering with the G85 JPEG colors and contrast. Don't know why, maybe I am doing something wrong, but looks crazy washed out and colors are quite dead. I know that Canon normally "over-saturates" a little, but I kind of like that "wrong color scheme" on it.

So, I was wondering if anyone can suggest how to config my G85 to be more "Canon colors like" for JPEG stills. I though about "Vivid" but not sure if it is too much. Maybe a custom profile but I have no idea what to change.

I looked into EOSHD Canon color package, but looks like is something to do on "post" and it is geared towards video.

Thanks for the help!

bsas's gear list:bsas's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +15 more
Canon EOS 70D Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,683
Do you have an example?

Do you have an example?   I find your complaint a bit puzzling, as I moved from a Canon 60D to a Panasonic GX7 and found the color and contrast to be very pleasing on both.  I almost never shoot RAW and I am very happy with the JPEGs.    I don't think Panasonic changed their recipe much on the G85.

jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 3,402
Re: Love my G85, but hate JPEG colors... I want "Canon colors", how?

If you discover a way please let me know.  The G85 to me is the most interesting m43 camera currently, but even though Panny has come a long way with its JPG engine I still prefer the JPG output of my Canon cameras.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Mebpenguin
Mebpenguin Contributing Member • Posts: 527

I don't have a recipe for you, but you can adjust any of the color profiles in a variety of ways. I'd just play around with those.

Mebpenguin's gear list:Mebpenguin's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V
puttin
puttin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,441

I have my GX85 set on standard with +1 saturation and sharpness

puttin's gear list:puttin's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm XF1 Canon G9 X II Canon G3 X Fujifilm X-T1 +14 more
bsas
OP bsas Contributing Member • Posts: 512
Re: Do you have an example?

Yes, I do

All those images where taken using prime lenses (50mm STM f1.8 on 70D, 25mm f1.7 on G85), f2.8, native ISO (160 on 70D and 200 on G85), same White Balance and "Standard" picture profile / photo style.

Canon 70D: (observe the vibrant colors on the girl dress and the red chairs).

G85:

G85: Red chairs and girl dress is less vivid.

70D: Vivid colors on his skin tones, eye color and the small patch of grass in the back.

G85: He looks more pale, and the grass looks more "dead".

Thanks!

Bernardo

Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +15 more
gardenersassistant Veteran Member • Posts: 5,219

bsas wrote:

Yes, I do

Good pairs to work with. You might want to try using AWB and adjusting the white balance. Perhaps start with two or three clicks towards Amber and one towards Magenta. See how it goes then adjust to taste.

Here is something similar done in Lightroom, as posted on the left and with an increase in Amber and Magenta on the right.

bsas

Wow! Thanks!

I can try that. In camera I was very careful about setting both cameras to the same WB using the Custom WB with the "gray side" of a Color Checker Passport. But maybe the JPEG engine needs some boost?

Here are two more sample shots for you to play around (if you want :D):

70D

G85

Again, thanks for your time!

bsas

Thanks! I will try that out

bsas

I know, the latitude of tweaking of the G85 is insane. I was just wondering if anyone else already did it (since "Canon colors" are so famous/infamous :D) and I just didn't found it on Google

DWM Regular Member • Posts: 116

First, is your monitor properly color calibrated?  The examples you posted are, to me, quite over saturated.  You can certainly boost saturation in camera, but be sure you are looking at the right colors to start.

DWM's gear list:DWM's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D800E Panasonic G85
gardenersassistant Veteran Member • Posts: 5,219

bsas wrote:

Wow! Thanks!

I can try that. In camera I was very careful about setting both cameras to the same WB using the Custom WB with the "gray side" of a Color Checker Passport. But maybe the JPEG engine needs some boost?

Here is the G85 version with the same adjustment as the other two.

Of course  you need to experiment to find out what you like best.

As well as any white balance adjustment you might want to try adjusting the contrast and/or saturation, up a bit perhaps (for my preferences, I wouldn't, but I prefer a milder look compared to most people, and in any case I shoot raw almost all the time. And it is your preferences that matter here, not mine!)

Not addressing the same issue, but still about possibly increasing the impact/'pop' or whatever, you might also want to experiment with the sharpness (up a bit perhaps) and noise reduction (down a bit perhaps).

It's a pleasure I assure you. I'm quite interested in this side of things.

aikiboy Forum Member • Posts: 87

you could also try setting for "vivid," which is pretty saturated, or "natural"

Mark9473 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,356

bsas wrote:

I know, the latitude of tweaking of the G85 is insane. I was just wondering if anyone else already did it (since "Canon colors" are so famous/infamous :D) and I just didn't found it on Google

I changed saturation +1, sharpness +2 and noise filtering -3.

But I'm not a fan of the fluorescent Canon colours, so perhaps not a good reference point.

-- hide signature --

Mark

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +21 more
bsas

Well, I already checked the photos on a couple of monitors. I have an 5K iMac that is fully calibrated, and I checked there too besides my laptop (that is not calibrated) and my mom's iPad.

Those are SooC JPEGs. I know I can do all them look alike on LightRoom, but I am to be able to set the "in camera" profile as close to Canon as possible so I am relaxed to sell all my Canon gear

Ulfric M Douglas Veteran Member • Posts: 4,820

bsas wrote:

... I like when my JPEGs are nice to a point where I don't need to edit the RAW.

Based on that, I am suffering with the G85 JPEG colors and contrast. Don't know why, maybe I am doing something wrong, but looks crazy washed out and colors are quite dead. ...

I assume you have tried all the jpeg colour modes/choices ... right?

After that ... buy an Olympus.

I'm not being flippant. I do not know about G85 Jpegs but previous models are 'grey' to my eye, or if boosted in the setting, just 'wrong'.

I like old Olympus Jpegs, new Olympus jpegs are fine, Canon jpegs are fine but the greens can be too yellow.

To my eyes, all of this.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

bsas

Buy Olympus is not an option since the reason I got the G85 is to have an all around hybrid camera (stills and video).

If I want two cameras (one for video, one for stills), I will just keep my Canon gear

But thanks for your suggestion thought

TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 6,788
Tried adjustments?

Do you use Lightroom? You can create a preset that moves the colours in the direction you like.

Also, I presume you have already tried adjusting the G85 JPEG settings?

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 15,257

bsas wrote:

Wow! Thanks!

70D

G85

interesting because I have  G80 (G85) and one of my few criticisms is that jpg reds can be oversaturated, I have never managed anything like the lower shot unless it truly mirrored the actual real life red although in this case the whole picture looks like its been though a desaturation stage, nothing like the output from mine

-- hide signature --

My Costa Rican Hummingbirds are at: https://goo.gl/photos/jGLhmAyGgqdChxDY6 and my main Costa Rican bird gallery is at https://goo.gl/photos/SZxhqWaeh4JtXrGE7
latest bird pics at https://goo.gl/photos/gvDW7zQwLjyuN4Fx7
planes from
my trip to Hahnweide are at https://goo.gl/photos/VYPEqGaDQnapzWW97

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
situman1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,285

bsas wrote:

So, I am moving from a Canon 70D to the Lumix G85. Features and hardware wise, I think the G85 beats the Canon any day, hands down. Loving that little camera here!

But, I always take JPEG+RAW and my personal goal is to have a nice SooC JPEG so the RAW is just a "backup" thing. I know that is hard, but I like when my JPEGs are nice to a point where I don't need to edit the RAW.

Based on that, I am suffering with the G85 JPEG colors and contrast. Don't know why, maybe I am doing something wrong, but looks crazy washed out and colors are quite dead. I know that Canon normally "over-saturates" a little, but I kind of like that "wrong color scheme" on it.

So, I was wondering if anyone can suggest how to config my G85 to be more "Canon colors like" for JPEG stills. I though about "Vivid" but not sure if it is too much. Maybe a custom profile but I have no idea what to change.

I looked into EOSHD Canon color package, but looks like is something to do on "post" and it is geared towards video.

Thanks for the help!

Go get a canon.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads