Olympus O-MD E-M1stopped working everything is blank

Started Mar 19, 2017 | Questions
Trott Contributing Member • Posts: 751
Olympus O-MD E-M1stopped working everything is blank

I mstakingly change from 75-300mm lens to 12-40mm Pro lens. The next shot went on for a few seconds with white flashing in the viewer. I turned off the camera and everything was blank after turning it back on. Nothing seen in viewer or on the screen,

Trott's gear list:Trott's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
ANSWER:
Bob657 Senior Member • Posts: 3,327
Re: Olympus O-MD E-M1stopped working everything is blank

Have you tried:

a new battery

re-seating the lens as it may not be making contact

a new sd card

-- hide signature --

Bob G
Visit my website at:
http://bobgreenberg9918.zenfolio.com

Bob657's gear list:Bob657's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +3 more
OP Trott Contributing Member • Posts: 751

Tried that. Thanks!

ijm5012 Senior Member • Posts: 1,673

Is the shutter stuck? Take the lens off and see if the shutter curtains are closed or open.

ijm5012's gear list:ijm5012's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +7 more

Closed

drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,191

Trott wrote:

Closed

If the shutter is covering the sensor, and it does not release when you remove the battery, then the shutter is hanging.  Sometimes a gentle tap on the outside the camera will allow it to release, but it will hang again.  The sensor on my E-M1.1 started to hang after 2.75 years and 175,000+ shutter activations.  I had it replaced under the extended warranty.  The repair took one week at the Olympus NJ drop off repair facility (US Imaging Systems). but may take longer in other countries.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Lasse Eisele
Lasse Eisele Senior Member • Posts: 1,886

Trott wrote:

Closed

If you haven't done so already, try pressing the shutter button.

Is the screen totally dead or can you read exposure info and such? If the latter, try switching to silent shutter, then press the shutter button.

-- hide signature --
ijm5012 Senior Member • Posts: 1,673

Trott wrote:

Closed

The shutter is stuck. Try tapping on the outside of the camera to free it. If that works, then shoot some images without a lens on the body and see if it hangs up again. If that doesn't work, try to mechanically free the shutter.

If you manage to get it open, but it continues to hang up, then you may have to send it in for service.

ijm5012's gear list:ijm5012's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +7 more

Thanks that did not work.

Shutter button did not work and the view finder and lcd screen are blank so I can,t read anything or set any functions.

Tapping camera does not seem to work. I don't know how to mechanically move shutter.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Tony Collins Senior Member • Posts: 1,735

Don't try - if you do, you'll likely make things worse. The shutter is a ridiculously fragile thing (it has to open close in 1/8000th of a second)

-- hide signature --

Tony Collins

Tony Collins's gear list:Tony Collins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +1 more
Lasse Eisele
Lasse Eisele Senior Member • Posts: 1,886

Trott wrote:

Shutter button did not work and the view finder and lcd screen are blank so I can,t read anything or set any functions.

Sounds serious. You need to send it in.

-- hide signature --
Gary from Seattle Senior Member • Posts: 2,769

I had electronic malfunctions which likely included a stuck shutter. My EM-1 worked (for awhile) if I gave the camera more than a tap. I probably slapped the camera with my hand with about a 5-8 pound slap.

Other than that. Take the battery out for awhile, even 24 hours. Put a different battery in. Push to make sure it is seated.

If you see electronic information on the EVF at any point press the shutter. That also worked for me.

The good news is after repair, my EM-1 is working great.

In your case if it continues as is, the problem is easy to diagnose. Mine wasn't. I kept a log of malfunctions, describing them and sent my occasional malfunctioning camera in after I could reliably produce failure.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 4,936

drj3 wrote:

Trott wrote:

Closed

If the shutter is covering the sensor, and it does not release when you remove the battery, then the shutter is hanging. Sometimes a gentle tap on the outside the camera will allow it to release, but it will hang again. The sensor on my E-M1.1 started to hang after 2.75 years and 175,000+ shutter activations. I had it replaced under the extended warranty. The repair took one week at the Olympus NJ drop off repair facility (US Imaging Systems). but may take longer in other countries.

How much does the repair cost if not under warranty?  Are all the Oly M4/3 cameras good for 100,000+ shutter actuations?

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads