G7X - Do you miss the EVF?

Started Mar 19, 2017 | Discussions
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,673
G7X - Do you miss the EVF?

I'm trying to decide on a 1" compact.  I generally like everything better about the G7 X Mk2 over the RX100 III, except I worry I'll miss the EVF.

If you've used the G7X (either version), are there times where the screen is unusable due to strong sunlight?  Is it something to be concerned about?

Thanks.

Canon PowerShot G7 X Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rg Regular Member • Posts: 145
Re: G7X - Do you miss the EVF?

tkbslc wrote:

I'm trying to decide on a 1" compact. I generally like everything better about the G7 X Mk2 over the RX100 III, except I worry I'll miss the EVF.

If you've used the G7X (either version), are there times where the screen is unusable due to strong sunlight? Is it something to be concerned about?

Thanks.

I just came from New England and was shooting in sunlight after the big spring snow they had... the answer to your first question is definitely YES.  I could not see a darn thing on my camera framing shots in the bright light (they still came out good being lucky with my aim).  One of the reasons I did not buy the Mk I version of this camera is because I wanted a viewfinder.  When I lost my Fuji X30 in an early snow last fall, I bought the G7X II (in spite of no EV) because I thought the upgrades were significant, it is pocketable, and I saw so many great pictures taken with it.  (I did not like the form factor of the G5).  When my X30 was found a couple weeks ago in the spring thaw, I spent almost 400 bucks to fix it - that should tell ya that I like that camera with its EVF.  Now, having said all that... Would I get rid of the G7XII for any reason?  No way.  It is a great camera, handles well, and takes beautiful pictures (in spite of having to hold it up like a cellphone).  To answer your second question, ya can't get too concerned about any of it; because we have yet to see the perfect camera.  We use what they give us for choices, and every camera has its pluses and minuses.

btw i almost bought the Sony, but something about the color and the realism of the canon jpegs looked better (to me).

chj001
chj001 Regular Member • Posts: 206

If the sun is behind you causing glare on the screen, flip the screen up 90 degrees and drop the camera down to waist level so that your body blocks the sunlight. If you're shooting into the sun causing glare in your eyes, I would ask "Why are you shootong INTO the sun?" unless for some special effect.

chj001's gear list:chj001's gear list
Canon G7 X II
Chaplain Mark
Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 3,507

tkbslc wrote:

I'm trying to decide on a 1" compact. I generally like everything better about the G7 X Mk2 over the RX100 III, except I worry I'll miss the EVF.

If you've used the G7X (either version), are there times where the screen is unusable due to strong sunlight? Is it something to be concerned about?

Thanks.

You can temporarily max out the screen brightness by pressing and holding the down-arrow "button" on the rear wheel.

This should allow you to easily see the screen, even in bright sunlight, then press the down-arrow button again to restore the original brightness level to the screen.

This works for me on my G3X in bright sun, every time.

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X
OP tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,673
I guess I'll find out, I ordered one

My companion thread in the Sony forum said 90% of them rely heavily on the EVF.  So I'm a little worried, but I like everything else about the G7X II more.   The lens, the Canon colors, the controls, the touchscreen etc.     I'm hoping I can forget my m4/3 on trips now (and maybe permanently).

larsson Regular Member • Posts: 404
Re: I guess I'll find out, I ordered one

NO i do not miss the EVF.

larsson's gear list:larsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D50 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 5,839

The OP's comment about using the flexible LCD and shooting from the waist is a good tip.

Also, you might consider one of the better LCD screen protectors that have a matte/anti-glare finish. I like the Expert Shield screen protectors. They are a bit pricey at $13.95 each but come with a lifetime guarantee.

Check out the user review on the Expert Shield site here: http://shop.expertshield.com/Canon_G7X_MKII_Anti_Glare

PS. The screen for the G7 X MK II must be popular because they have been back-ordered recently (Any 3" size will work, however.)  I have no affiliation with the company.

Smaug01
Smaug01 Senior Member • Posts: 1,892
No, I don't miss it.

The screens can be QUITE bright.

We went through the same thing years ago, when they went from optical viewfinders in favor of electronic ones. At first, everyone was all in a tizzy. GOTTA have an OVF! To humor them, Canon made their G-series with OVFs, then they started alternating it with generations. Eventually, EVFs became high enough resolution that they were better than some tiny little smashed-down OVF.

Now, we're at the same point with EVFs vs. screens: the screens are SO good, EVFs aren't really an advantage for composing in bright light. The only time I miss it is when I'm trying to shoot at a lower shutter speed than I should be, and I find that using the head as a third bracing point steadies it up a bit. Even that though, OIS and sensor tech have gotten so good that this is ultra rare.

I read something from an RX100 owner recently that said he uses the EVF just as a conversation piece, because by the time he popped it up and telescoped it rearwards, he could have easily gotten the shot without it.

From my personal experience, I was anxious about the lack of an EVF when I got my G9X. Also, about having to use the touch screen. No problem on  either of them. I really like the articulation of the screen on the G7X. I missed that feature a bit, when I went from my Pentax MX-1 (fantastic camera, by the way, but now, the equivalently-lensed 1" sensor cameras are the same size...) to my G9X.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon G9 X DxO Optics Pro Elite +2 more
chj001

I am using an anti-glare screen protector from Guarmor on Amazon for $9.88. It has the added benefit that fingerprints don't show as much.

Also, don't forget that you can quickly toggle the screen brightness to maximum and back by pressing and holding the Down button on the rear control wheel.

Canon G7 X II
Smaug01
Smaug01 Senior Member • Posts: 1,892

chj001 wrote:

I am using an anti-glare screen protector from Guarmor on Amazon for $9.88. It has the added benefit that fingerprints don't show as much.

Also, don't forget that you can quickly toggle the screen brightness to maximum and back by pressing and holding the Down button on the rear control wheel.

Just my take, but I wouldn't really consider this. The touch screen is so good, it's a shame to make it less sensitive. Sometimes, you need the tip of your finger to do something with a light touch, and that would be lost with a screen protector.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon G9 X DxO Optics Pro Elite +2 more
chj001

Of course, I only had the camera for a few weeks before I put on the screen protector, but I didn't notice ANY diminishment in the sensitivity of the screen after installing the protector.

Canon G7 X II
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,397

chj001 wrote:

Of course, I only had the camera for a few weeks before I put on the screen protector, but I didn't notice ANY diminishment in the sensitivity of the screen after installing the protector.

Me neither, with the Expert Shield anti-glare screen protector. It makes no difference at all to the sensitivity of the touchscreen. Definitely a good investment.

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) +19 more
Reiiya New Member • Posts: 3

I thought I would, but ever since I've had G7X in my hands I have never needed one. Flip screen is so much more better for low angle shots than EVF. I certainly don't miss rolling in mud to catch good shots.

MightyPir Forum Member • Posts: 61

The concept of the viewfinder is great but I'm not so sure in practice.  I used a froends RX100 for a couple.of days and discovered that the viewfinder was a pain to use.  It's not fast to deploy and you cannot keep it out all the time.  There were very few times when I really needed to use the viewfinder.  I found the sony system a real pain to use, BTW.

When I got my G7x MK2 I have noticed that there ARE times when the screen is difficult to use (bright sunlight, etc).  But if you do what others have suggest (brighten, flip it etc) it all works out.  It would have been great to have a lumix style viewfinder, but in the grand scheme of things you shouldn't miss it that much.  The camera is fast, responsive and so much easier to use than the RX100...and the touch screen is awesome.

MightyPir's gear list:MightyPir's gear list
Canon G7 X II Nikon D7200 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
chj001

Ditto, ditto, ditto!!!

Canon G7 X II
Dan Hudson
Dan Hudson Contributing Member • Posts: 743

It is nice to have both especially if your LCD is angle adjustable. I got both, a super EVF and an articulated LCD with my favorite camera....the Fuji X30. I liked it so much, I bought two of them. I am glad for the duplicate X30 for they are not so easy to get now.

-- hide signature --

Christian Amateur Photographer
Choose life's involvements carefully with an eye toward eternity.

Dan Hudson's gear list:Dan Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Canon PowerShot SX120 IS
mikan
mikan Senior Member • Posts: 1,114

tkbslc wrote:

My companion thread in the Sony forum said 90% of them rely heavily on the EVF. So I'm a little worried, but I like everything else about the G7X II more. The lens, the Canon colors, the controls, the touchscreen etc. I'm hoping I can forget my m4/3 on trips now (and maybe permanently).

I am following that thread, too! I have the Sony RX 100 M3, and its EVF is pretty small. If there is no glare, I prefer to use the screen. But if the sun is right behind me and I cannot see the screen, I use the EVF, though because there is no eye cup, I need to shield it with my hand so that there is no glare on the EVF. Now, what's really odd is this; it might be just my copy, but if the sun in in front of me, the EVF blacks out completely; it just steps working. My best guess is that, the mica in my eye shadow reflects the sunlight, and it somehow fools the eye sensor for the EVF. But if I block the sunlight with my hand, it works just fine. A bit of a pain to use it that way, but for sure it works better than using the screen. However, I've heard Canon screen works better with glare than Sony screen, so that might make a difference...

mikan's gear list:mikan's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 1,800

I had the RX100 III and the EVF saw little use. I just do not like the implementation. Perhaps I am too used to my big camera's EVF. I sold the III and I versions of the RX100 and kept the G7X because of the 100mm F/2.8 mattered more to me.

Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Rokinon AF 35mm F1.4 FE Sony RX100 V +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads