Issue with concentric rings on E-M1 Mark II (edited title)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,889
Re: Mystery solved (yes, it's shading comp.)

Good that you found out what it was.  Likely the camera store clerks wouldn't have gotten it and the camera may have gone back as defective.

Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 6,297
Going slightly off topic . . .

Regarding the purple fringing in your original Orion image, which is obvious on the belt stars and Rigel . . .

if it's real CA then you ought to be able to bring the purple light to a sharp focus. Have you tried doing a magnified view Manual Focus to eliminate the purple fringing. This would of course put the other wavelengths out of focus and bloat the star images, so it's not a solution.

Do you need to focus before or after 'infinity' to bring purple into focus ?

Just curious

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +11 more
luisflorit
luisflorit Veteran Member • Posts: 8,033
Re: Another Olympus quality control problem?

Clayton1985 wrote:

luisflorit wrote:

Still, again and again, another stupid Olympus quality control problem.

At this time we know of exactly one camera that might have this specific issue.... one out of every single E-M1 II sold so far....

I doubt a problem with one camera (if it is confirmed to be a camera problem) constitutes QC issues outside of acceptable percentages. I would say that you are making assumptions that can't be backed up at this time.

Look:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59295827

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59297300

and, finally,

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59297252

Crap quality control of software.

L.

-- hide signature --
 luisflorit's gear list:luisflorit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 Olympus E-M1 +3 more
Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,937
Re: Another Olympus quality control problem?

You sure are committed to this cause aren't you?    The OP finds the issue and resolves it and everything is working fine yet you march on undeterred....    I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for.

lester11
lester11 Contributing Member • Posts: 541
Re: Your camera also has the same problem

luisflorit wrote:

Definitely, there are green halos in your pictures if you push:

Push what, please?  What did you do to get the halo which previously was invisible?  Many thanks!

-- hide signature --

Lester

lester11's gear list:lester11's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +9 more
OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 4,936
Re: Issue with concentric rings on E-M1 Mark II (edited title)

I see Orion How do you like star colors in the new camera?

Keep the lens too and use it on your Panasonic camera. That looks like a great lens and its very fast so it will get a lot of use in AP.

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +4 more
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,277
Re: But what could possibly cause this?

Danielvr wrote:

With concentric rings, you'd think the problem is optical, i.e. caused by a lens or filter. But you're seeing it with a wide variety of lenses and I'm sure you didn't put a circular polarisation filter on each.
I've seen 'natural' rings in overprocessed photos of the Moon's halo, and in photos of pulsed laser beams. None of that applies here.
But it has got to come from somewhere.

My thoughts exactly, however it has just occurred to me that if the sensor or AA filter is too reflective, these rings could also happen due to light being 're-bounced' off of the rear glass elements.

I have seen this type of optical occurrence when I tried a front mounted wide angle converter lens a few years ago - before I could afford a 9-18.

Best wishes Astrtripper, it looks as if you may have uncovered quite a gremlin !

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
OutsideTheMatrix

Astrotripper wrote:

Thank you to all who suggested looking into shading compensation. Looks like this is the culprit. I had this option enabled on my E-M10 and never noticed any issues, so it is a bit surprise to me that it is on E-M1.2. But what is a real shocker to me is that this option affects RAW files. I had no idea this was the case. All this time I was living in ignorance. I feel so stupid now not knowing this. Actually, I now remember I was a bit surprised that darktable brightened the corners a bit too much when I enabled lens corrections for vignetting on 100-300. It was mild so I immediately forgot about it. But now I know it was because it was applying vignetting correction on an already corrected image.

Anyways, here's two shots after updating firmware to 1.1. One with shading comp. enabled one with disabled. I don't know if this is the firmware update or I'm just imagining things, but I think I had to push a bit harder and the rings were not as obvious this time when chimping.

Anyway, glad this is resolved, I will turn off shading comp. on all my bodies right now

Thanks again to all who responded with suggestions, tips, their own samples and so on. Much appreciated.

Funny I was always told to keep this off.  I don't even know what it's supposed to do.  Would you say the shading compensation being turned off was the main difference, or upgrading to the new firmware, or doing a reset?

Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +4 more
OutsideTheMatrix
Re: But what could possibly cause this?

Adrian Harris wrote:

Danielvr wrote:

With concentric rings, you'd think the problem is optical, i.e. caused by a lens or filter. But you're seeing it with a wide variety of lenses and I'm sure you didn't put a circular polarisation filter on each.
I've seen 'natural' rings in overprocessed photos of the Moon's halo, and in photos of pulsed laser beams. None of that applies here.
But it has got to come from somewhere.

My thoughts exactly, however it has just occurred to me that if the sensor or AA filter is too reflective, these rings could also happen due to light being 're-bounced' off of the rear glass elements.

I have seen this type of optical occurrence when I tried a front mounted wide angle converter lens a few years ago - before I could afford a 9-18.

Best wishes Astrtripper, it looks as if you may have uncovered quite a gremlin !

-- hide signature --

Yes I thought it was the AA filter too, that is the only way to explain how it could happen on many different lenses.

Adrian Harris
Re: PanaLeica 12mm unusable on E-M1 Mark II after all

CharlesB58 wrote:

Let me get this straight: you receive what in all probability is a defective camera-which happens- and you go on and on with the assumption that it's all EM1.2s that are bad? Also, it appears you are more intent on complaining on this forum than seeing if you can return the camera or have it fixed under warranty?

By all means, jump ship...so if you run into problems with your new camera it will be a different forum.

Seriously, exchange the camera or get it repaired. Complaining ad nauseum here isn't solving the issue, is it?

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand
http://eyeguessphotography.com
http://livegigshots.com

Charles I think you have got the wrong angle here. Astrtripper has found an important issue and with everyones feedback is trying to understand the what is causing the problem. That's what forums are for.

-- hide signature --
Adrian Harris

Stejo wrote:

On the contrary, I find his thorough testing very interesting and wouldn't call it complaining by any means. Some understandable frustration perhaps, considering the amount of money involved.

Until some Em1ii owner can provide samples that don't demonstrate this issue, it's anybody's guess if we're talking about a defective unit or a bigger problem. And it would be no use returning it to the store only to find that the same issue exists in all EM1ii bodies.

Eagerly waiting to find out how this ends.

I agree 100%, and am likely to soon start the ball rolling regarding Panasonic's Dual IS .... after a few more tests.

-- hide signature --
Adrian Harris

tt321 wrote:

samtheman2014 wrote:

Astrotripper wrote:

And to be honest, if I had a viable option, I would jump ship right now.

There are no shortage of viable options out there a Canon 6D and Sigma 24mm F/1.4 combo , comes in at £850 less than the E-M1 II+ 12mm F/1.4. Looking around the astrophotography shooters the Canon seems to be a very popular choice.

Not to mention there is a 20/1.4 too if one needs really wide angles.

Or considering you have so many Panasonic lenses the GX8 would be a much cheaper option offering pretty much identical image quality to the EM-1 II with no compatibility issues with the lenses. Unless you desperately need the speed of the E-M1 II for fast sports etc. The GX8 body is currently £1200 less than the EM1II !

-- hide signature --

Jim I am Sam I am not

One of the problems many existing Panasonic cameras have (don't know about the GX8) is they don't really do too well with really long exposures. This might be dealt with using stacking etc. but buying a Panasonic for really dark shooting seems a bit counter intuitive.

The gx8 is vastly improved over the gx7 in this respect - by what appears to be an order of magnitude. I can not comment on other Panasonic bodies.

-- hide signature --
tt321 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,620

CharlesB58 wrote:

Stejo wrote:

On the contrary, I find his thorough testing very interesting and wouldn't call it complaining by any means. Some understandable frustration perhaps, considering the amount of money involved.

Until some Em1ii owner can provide samples that don't demonstrate this issue, it's anybody's guess if we're talking about a defective unit or a bigger problem. And it would be no use returning it to the store only to find that the same issue exists in all EM1ii bodies.

Eagerly waiting to find out how this ends.

I'm all for thorough testing. On the other hand, declaring that he would jump ship before that testing is even complete, and the determination as to whether it's just his camera or a systemic problem, is in my book complaining.

He was far from serious when he suggested jumping ship might be an option. It showed his frustration but there was no actual plan of immediately selling everything before even trying to sort out his unit some other way. He was focused on sorting out his unit some other way.

And there is no guarantee that airing it here would not help so that people should generally abstain from such activity. In actual fact it did help the OP. This is a very good thread.

Good products survive such threads. If one is worried, one is not confident in that product.

tt321 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,620

Doing reset = turning off shading comp. So based on the evidence, that obviously removed the rings.

luisflorit
Really?

Clayton1985 wrote:

You sure are committed to this cause aren't you? The OP finds the issue and resolves it and everything is working fine yet you march on undeterred.... I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for.

Everything is working fine?? REALLY?? Wow...

I am committed, yes. Our brand needs to improve their quality control or they will perish. And that would be terrible for me with all the investment I made in the system and brand. Even some of us, m43rd users, are migrating from Olympus to Panasonic because of the many issues Olympus has. Even software problems that last several years.

Fanboyism and denial help only the competition.

L.

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 Olympus E-M1 +3 more
luisflorit
Re: Your camera also has the same problem

lester11 wrote:

luisflorit wrote:

Definitely, there are green halos in your pictures if you push:

Push what, please? What did you do to get the halo which previously was invisible? Many thanks

Just make your image brighter with curves.

Turning off shading compensation should solve your issue too.

L

-- hide signature --
karlreed Senior Member • Posts: 1,600
Re: Issue with concentric rings on E-M1 Mark II (edited title)

Many thanks for your post, I notice that Shading of "off" on my em1.2.

Very interesting

-- hide signature --

karl reed

karlreed's gear list:karlreed's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D200 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +6 more
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 5,137
Lest We Forget

Astrotripper wrote:

I'm getting more and more sour on this whole Micro 4/3 thing. First was my journey down the rabbit hole with purple fringing .

....This is ridiculous, seriously. 3200 EUR and I can't even get a usable kit?

....Anyway, looks like the well has been poisoned for me. I can already tell there will be no love for the Oly flagship, as opposed to GM5.

....And to be honest, if I had a viable option, I would jump ship right now.

....I consider this camera to be broken. And it is either that the one I bought is faulty or something is broken at the very fundamental level.

All because of the settings chosen?

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549
Re: This just gets weirder and weirder

The limit of tonal gradation is what came to mind. I've seen it in every camera since my 420  when I shoot super dark blue skies, posterized rings. Perhabs a 12 bit thing, I don't know. The sharp edges you showed also reminded me of the faulty GR vignetting correction that they later fixed.

OP Astrotripper Senior Member • Posts: 4,578
Yes, let's not

TN Args wrote:

Astrotripper wrote:

I'm getting more and more sour on this whole Micro 4/3 thing. First was my journey down the rabbit hole with purple fringing .

....This is ridiculous, seriously. 3200 EUR and I can't even get a usable kit?

....Anyway, looks like the well has been poisoned for me. I can already tell there will be no love for the Oly flagship, as opposed to GM5.

....And to be honest, if I had a viable option, I would jump ship right now.

....I consider this camera to be broken. And it is either that the one I bought is faulty or something is broken at the very fundamental level.

All because of the settings chosen?

Well, sorry you find my frustration with this whole thing inappropriate. But when I pay 2000 EUR for a flagship camera I expect it will have a functional software. What I do not expect is that I will be a beta tester.

The fact that the problem has been resolved at considerable time investment on my part (and let's not forget others who contributed in this thread with tips, suggestions and their own testing) does not in any way pull Olympus off the hook.

I will not voice my opinion on Olympus regarding this matter here for I don't want to be grilled by fanboy apologists.

So yeah, all because of one setting that rendered the camera unusable for me.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads