Batch geotagging photos

Started Mar 17, 2017 | Discussions
Isca Senior Member • Posts: 2,136
Batch geotagging photos

I was wondering if there is a way in either Lightroom or Photoshop to batch geotag photos like this guy is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YshoeDYgjc&feature=youtu.be

Lightroom appears to have the capability one at a time and Photoshop (which I'm less familiar with) has batching and actions so it follows it may be possible????

MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 4,297
Yes

In LR, geotag an image. Then, with that image selected, <shift> or <ctrl> select all the additional photos you want (the key is that the initial image is the first one selected). Then, use the "sync metadata" feature, and unselect everything except the GPS data. The sync will copy the GPS data and not any other data.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +22 more
frogstar Regular Member • Posts: 172
Re: Batch geotagging photos

In Lightroom if all the shots are taken at the same location then you can select all CtrlA and drag them to the correct location on the map.  If they are all different locations then you have to do them one at a time.

ernstbk
ernstbk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,021

Isca wrote:

I was wondering if there is a way in either Lightroom or Photoshop to batch geotag photos like this guy is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YshoeDYgjc&feature=youtu.be

Lightroom appears to have the capability one at a time and Photoshop (which I'm less familiar with) has batching and actions so it follows it may be possible????

LR does have a function to load a "tracklog"  in gpx format in the map module.  I can not give feedback on how this function works because I prefer to do batch geotagging (using NMEA with Exiftool) before I import into LR. The reason is that I have my camera clock set to UTC and I adjust the capture time in a script after tagging.

ernstbk's gear list:ernstbk's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +28 more
OP Isca Senior Member • Posts: 2,136

Sorry, I should have explained that the photos either would not have geotag info or would be geotagged elsewhere. This tool appears to have been designed specifically for optimizing websites (geotagging images helps Google out).

ChuckB Regular Member • Posts: 369

ernstbk wrote:

LR does have a function to load a "tracklog" in gpx format in the map module. I can not give feedback on how this function works because I prefer to do batch geotagging (using NMEA with Exiftool) before I import into LR. The reason is that I have my camera clock set to UTC and I adjust the capture time in a script after tagging.

You can shift the time of a tracklog file when importing into LR. I can't remember exactly how because I have not done it for a while, but it works. My first loading threw all the locations off and I finally figured out it was a time difference between the file and the photos. Fixed.

ChuckB's gear list:ChuckB's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Jos van Eekelen Regular Member • Posts: 368

If the files are geotagged I think you must first delete the coordinates in LR and then add new data to the pictures in one of the ways mentioned before.

Jos van Eekelen's gear list:Jos van Eekelen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS M Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads