Resolution comparsion - Laowa 7.5mm f/2 vs SLR Magic 8mm f/4

Started Mar 9, 2017 | Discussions
Linghk
Linghk Junior Member • Posts: 31
Resolution comparsion - Laowa 7.5mm f/2 vs SLR Magic 8mm f/4

Just got a prototype of the Laowa 7.5mm from Venus Optics, can't wait to test it together with the SLR magic 8mm!!

(left) SLR Magic 8mm f/4. (Right) Laowa 7.5mm f/2.

Just did some quick test on my OM-D EM10. Here are the results.

Angle of view comparison.

First of all, a comparison of the angle of view between 7.5mm and 8mm. The difference is quite significant even it's "just" 0.5mm. Mild distortion can be seen.

Below are the resolution comparisons. The composition is exactly the same as above.

Both at f/4:

Laowa (left) and SLR Magic (Right) both at f/4, centre at 100%.

Laowa (left) and SLR Magic (Right) Both at f/4, lower left corner at 100%

Laowa 7.5mm at f/4 - original file

SLR Magic 8mm at f/4 - original file

Both at f/8:

Laowa (left) and SLR Magic (Right) both at f/8, centre at 100%.

Laowa (left) and SLR Magic (Right) Both at f/8, lower left corner at 100%

Laowa 7.5mm at f/8 - original file

SLR Magic 8mm at f/8 - original file

both at f/16

Laowa (left) and SLR Magic (Right) both at f/16, centre at 100%.

Laowa (left) and SLR Magic (Right) Both at f/16, lower left corner at 100%

Laowa 7.5mm at f/16 - original file

SLR Magic 8mm at f/16 - original file

The aperture range of Laowa is from f/2 to f/22 while the SLR Magic is from f/4 to f/16. Here are some extra comparison at their largest and smallest aperture.

Largest:

Laowa at f/2 (left) and SLR Magic at f/4 (Right) , centre at 100%.

Laowa at f/2 (left) and SLR Magic at f/4 (Right) , lower left corner at 100%

smallest:

Laowa at f/22 (left) and SLR Magic at f/16 (Right) , centre at 100%.

Laowa at f/22 (left) and SLR Magic at f/16 (Right) , lower left corner at 100%

Gonna do some more test later, will keep you guys updated!

Linghk's gear list:Linghk's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +3 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mg_k Veteran Member • Posts: 3,221
Re: Resolution comparsion - Laowa 7.5mm f/2 vs SLR Magic 8mm f/4

So jealous...

I am going to Hong Kong next month, any idea on availability and pricing?

-- hide signature --
 mg_k's gear list:mg_k's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS R Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 8,288

Thank you for posting those. I was expecting a bit better from SLR Magic, despite it's low price.

As for your Laowa, it seems to be misaligned. At f/4, there is very clear softness on the right side, while the left side is sharp. And yet, despite this it performs better than SLR Magic

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +14 more
kiri Senior Member • Posts: 1,651

Wow, quite confusing results. The Laowa seems to perform better wide open, and in the corners. But the SLR Magic seems better stopped down in the center. 
Pretty impressed by the Laowa in general though. Seems pretty sharp, and can't see any major issues. Some distortion perhaps, but that should be fixable.

Linghk
OP Linghk Junior Member • Posts: 31

They said the price would be below USD$500, but I can't get a confirmed date of launch..

Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +3 more
Linghk

Astrotripper wrote:

Thank you for posting those. I was expecting a bit better from SLR Magic, despite it's low price.

As for your Laowa, it seems to be misaligned. At f/4, there is very clear softness on the right side, while the left side is sharp. And yet, despite this it performs better than SLR Magic

The corners of SLR Magic is quite disappointing, to be frank, though it did fine at centre.
For the misalignment, I'm not sure if it's my problem as I did the test in a rush today. The buildings were not lie perfectly on the same plane, the right side was a bit further because I was trying to get rid of the fence on the left side. I'll do a better test later!

luisflorit
luisflorit Veteran Member • Posts: 8,306

Indeed the Laowa looks quite good and much better than the SLR Magic. This girl looks promising!

Your testing is much appreciated. Bring more!

-- hide signature --
 luisflorit's gear list:luisflorit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT Olympus E-M1 +3 more
Linghk

kiri wrote:

Wow, quite confusing results. The Laowa seems to perform better wide open, and in the corners. But the SLR Magic seems better stopped down in the center.
Pretty impressed by the Laowa in general though. Seems pretty sharp, and can't see any major issues. Some distortion perhaps, but that should be fixable.

I'm also impressed by the sharpness of Laowa. It's f/2's corners are better than SLR Magic at any aperture.
For the centre resolution, I've found an interesting thing. If you look closely to the shutter speed, the Laowa were all 1/3 stop faster, but at f/8 and f/16, the exposures of Laowa were even brighter than the SLR Magic. I have no idea what happened, maybe there was a sudden change in light.

Linghk

luisflorit wrote:

Indeed the Laowa looks quite good and much better than the SLR Magic. This girl looks promising!

Your testing is much appreciated. Bring more!

Thank you! Sorry that it wasn't a very accurate test as I just did this during my short lunch time, but I just can't wait!

mentos77 Contributing Member • Posts: 988

This is what I have been waiting for, thanks. The Laowa certainly wins in the corner; the SLR is terrible, I expected better at f8.

I am unsure what the issue is with the light near the top of the buildings though. Will be interested to hear thoughts on that- whether it is like flare or over exposed or something else.

adrian1988 Regular Member • Posts: 108

mentos77 wrote:

This is what I have been waiting for, thanks. The Laowa certainly wins in the corner; the SLR is terrible, I expected better at f8.

I am unsure what the issue is with the light near the top of the buildings though. Will be interested to hear thoughts on that- whether it is like flare or over exposed or something else.

Did anyone notice the angle of view for SLR is much narrower than Laowa (more than the 1mm difference FF equivalent) ? Is there anyway to derive the actual angle of view of both lenses?

adrian1988's gear list:adrian1988's gear list
Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton
tt321
tt321 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,774

Thanks for planning other more thorough tests.

However, at this kind of distance and such FL's, it should all be well within DoF.

Stejo
Stejo Senior Member • Posts: 1,461

Thanks. Very useful comparison. Don't suppose you have a Samyang fisheye lying around there to throw in the mix for reference?!

Stejo's gear list:Stejo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +7 more
Fraenzken Regular Member • Posts: 125

Thanks a lot for the comparison; the Laowa really shines!

Could you perhaps post a photo of the night sky later on (maybe even a raw file)? I'd like to judge the coma wide open (i.e. at f/2). Hope this isn't asked too much. If so, just don't bother

jeffharris
jeffharris Forum Pro • Posts: 10,310

Linghk wrote:

Just got a prototype of the Laowa 7.5mm from Venus Optics, can't wait to test it together with the SLR magic 8mm!!

(left) SLR Magic 8mm f/4. (Right) Laowa 7.5mm f/2.

Just did some quick test on my OM-D EM10. Here are the results.

Nice. Thanks! This is great. The Laowa is clearly the better lens.

Can't wait to get my paws on one! But WHEN?!?!?!?!

My girlfriend and I are going to Europe for a few weeks in May, so it would be nice to be able to get one before then! We're going with minimal stuff, so I'm only taking GX8 + 3 lenses (7-14mm f4, 12-40mm and 17.5mm), while she'll take only GX7 and 14-140mm. I'd be willing to swap the 7-14mm f4 for the Laowa.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +33 more
Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 15,229
Buy one over here then.

Why not? I think you need to pay tax in the USA, not here but unsure how that works.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 15,229

T-stop versus F-stop. Their T-stops might be different leading to that difference.

Anyways: thx for your effort. To me it is pretty clear which one is the better of the two. Since Laowa announced that the price will be sub 500 euro/dollar it is pretty clear there is no chance I will ever consider the SLR Magic. I would not even consider a lens like tht for 20 euro. It is just too mediocre. Why ruin a pic with such a lens? I'd rather pay 700 euro for the very good 7-14 mm Panny or so.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 8,805

Thank you for ths very useful post!!!

there is one (or two) more test i would love to see when the opportunity presents itself. That test is how these lenses render sunstars - in a clear sky stopped down to f/8 or f/11. The rendering of a sunstar is directly related to the type (curved vs straight) and number of aperture blades. I love adding sunstars to landscape shots but not all lenses do this well. My old fuji lenses were poor. While my old Voightlander 15mm f/4.5 lens was one of the best i ever used.

Also, a similar test of a nightscape to see how street lights sparkle. I think i saw video shot with the Laowa a while back that handled street lights very well. Stop down to f/5.6 is often plenty for this effect while opened up there is often just a blob of light.

Thanks again for the post.

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +9 more
amipal
amipal Senior Member • Posts: 1,198

Wow, this is night and day difference. In fact, I'd argue there is something horribly wrong with the SLR Magic.

Cheers,
Paul

amipal's gear list:amipal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 8,805

amipal wrote:

Wow, this is night and day difference. In fact, I'd argue there is something horribly wrong with the SLR Magic.

I think the SLR magic lens is marketed mostly for video drone work - where pixel peeping would not come into play, only size and ease of use - not the way the focus rings lock down. I suspect similar for the Laowa intended market but with more emphasis on still photogrpahy than the SLR Magic lens.

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads