more than good enough

Started Mar 8, 2017 | User reviews
BYRON MCD 77-81
BYRON MCD 77-81 Regular Member • Posts: 276
more than good enough

But not as sharp as the 4/3 version which I use on the E30 and E620.  Still, it's performance by far outweighs its price - I picked it up second hand for 100 euros in mint condition. Both lenses can give outstanding results under the right conditions and in the right hands. Although they both have a cheap feel about them, I can't really justify criticizing them because they really can deliver and for me, it's the result that counts, and the results can really be very good. If I were rating the older lens, however, I would rate it a bit higher optically.

BYRON MCD 77-81's gear list:BYRON MCD 77-81's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +8 more
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R
Telephoto zoom lens • Micro Four Thirds • V315030SU000
Announced: Jun 30, 2011
BYRON MCD 77-81's score
Average community score
Olympus E-620 (EVOLT E-620) Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,846
Re: more than good enough

BYRON MCD 77-81 wrote:

But not as sharp as the 4/3 version which I use on the E30 and E620. Still, it's performance by far outweighs its price - I picked it up second hand for 100 euros in mint condition. Both lenses can give outstanding results under the right conditions and in the right hands. Although they both have a cheap feel about them, I can't really justify criticizing them because they really can deliver and for me, it's the result that counts, and the results can really be very good. If I were rating the older lens, however, I would rate it a bit higher optically.

Which of the two Zuiko 40-150's are you comparing to?

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more
BYRON MCD 77-81
OP BYRON MCD 77-81 Regular Member • Posts: 276

The 40 -150mm, the version sold with the 14-42mm as kit lenses with a number of older 4/3rds models, like the e420 / e520 etc. This particular version performs more than admirably with the E3/E30/E5 particularly in the 40 - 100mm range. It is very sharp and is also very nice on the EM1 with MMF3 adapter, although, in this case, due to adapter shortcomings, the corners may show a degradation in sharpness. However, I still prefer it to the M.Zuiko 40 - 150mm f4 -f5.6 R. As I mentioned before, the older 4/3 version, at least in my case, appears to be sharper and produces more acceptable quality images overall. This has been my experience, at least. Check out some of my favourite images taken with this lens and judge for yourself.

Best wishes

Byron.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +8 more
zuikowesty
zuikowesty Veteran Member • Posts: 4,117

BYRON MCD 77-81 wrote:

The 40 -150mm, the version sold with the 14-42mm as kit lenses with a number of older 4/3rds models, like the e420 / e520 etc. This particular version performs more than admirably with the E3/E30/E5 particularly in the 40 - 100mm range. It is very sharp and is also very nice on the EM1 with MMF3 adapter, although, in this case, due to adapter shortcomings, the corners may show a degradation in sharpness. However, I still prefer it to the M.Zuiko 40 - 150mm f4 -f5.6 R. As I mentioned before, the older 4/3 version, at least in my case, appears to be sharper and produces more acceptable quality images overall. This has been my experience, at least. Check out some of my favourite images taken with this lens and judge for yourself.

Best wishes

Byron.

Some really nice images there!

I had the 40-150 which came with my E-410 dual lens kit, and quite liked it also. I just sold it today on eBay, as I wasn't using it. I did a fairly careful comparison with the 40-150R on my E-M5 when I got it, and found the R version to be slightly better overall, but didn't consider that the adapter might play a role.

Here are a few from my old 40-150 on the E-410:

And a few from the 40-150R on my E-M5. I don't have any other than test shots with the old lens on the E-M5.

Very flat light.

Missed the DOF here... not quite enough, or perhaps too much.

zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +11 more
ahaslett

My compliments on the images - very moody.

Sorry, should have looked at your gear list. You have the later 40-150. Mine is the earlier one. Rather slow focus even on the EM1 but still light and sharp. I loved that lens on my E500 until the 50-200SWD outperformed it on the E30.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more
Loga Senior Member • Posts: 1,880

zuikowesty wrote:

BYRON MCD 77-81 wrote:

Best wishes

Byron.

Some really nice images there!

I had the 40-150 which came with my E-410 dual lens kit, and quite liked it also. I just sold it today on eBay, as I wasn't using it. I did a fairly careful comparison with the 40-150R on my E-M5 when I got it, and found the R version to be slightly better overall, but didn't consider that the adapter might play a role.

Here are a few from my old 40-150 on the E-410:

And a few from the 40-150R on my E-M5. I don't have any other than test shots with the old lens on the E-M5.

Very flat light.

Missed the DOF here... not quite enough, or perhaps too much.

I'm dying from these colors and tones again! They are so good. I can differentiate these pics from E-M5 ones at once...

Loga's gear list:Loga's gear list
Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
BYRON MCD 77-81

Thanks for your take on the subject.

I suppose that at the end of the day, we all have our preferences according to our photographic style. For B/W, for example, the old 4/3rds version has always worked out better for me. It may also be that there are subtle differences between different batches of the same lenses.

Best wishes

Byron.

BYRON MCD 77-81

ahaslett wrote:

Sorry, should have looked at your gear list. You have the later 40-150. Mine is the earlier one. Rather slow focus even on the EM1 but still light and sharp. I loved that lens on my E500 until the 50-200SWD outperformed it on the E30.

Andrew

For sure the 50 - 200 outperforms the cheap 40 -150 lenses. There are so many great lenses out there, most of them big and heavy. I think the point here, is not how much better lenses that cost many times the price are - that's pretty clear to everyone, but the point  that this particular cheapo, very plastic product can actually produce exceedingly good images in the right hands.

Best wishes

Byron.

ahaslett

BYRON MCD 77-81 wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

Andrew

For sure the 50 - 200 outperforms the cheap 40 -150 lenses. There are so many great lenses out there, most of them big and heavy. I think the point here, is not how much better lenses that cost many times the price are - that's pretty clear to everyone, but the point that this particular cheapo, very plastic product can actually produce exceedingly good images in the right hands.

Best wishes

Byron.

I can recommend the Panny 20mm f/1.7 and the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

WayneG604 New Member • Posts: 23

Wow, really great photos! Just goes to show that photography isn't just about having the "top of the line/ latest and greatest" equipment (or spending half your life waffling on about it and never actually taking or sharing any photos;) you need the vision as well. I've had all four versions of the kit 40-150mm and the R was my favorite for color and sharpness but that's just mho. Thanks for sharing!

WayneG604's gear list:WayneG604's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
BYRON MCD 77-81

Yes, I've only heard good things about the 20mm f1.7.  I have considered getting one myself.

Best wishes

Byron.

ahaslett

BYRON MCD 77-81 wrote:

Yes, I've only heard good things about the 20mm f1.7. I have considered getting one myself.

Best wishes

Byron.

And the Samyang?

-- hide signature --

BYRON MCD 77-81

Yes, you just made a major point, and it's my point, too - you can do great work  with less than premium gear. At least, that's what I try to do within reason. If I can get results with cheaper gear, I use it, and it has worked for me time and time again.

Best wishes

Byron.

zuikowesty
zuikowesty Veteran Member • Posts: 4,117

Loga wrote:

zuikowesty wrote:

I'm dying from these colors and tones again! They are so good. I can differentiate these pics from E-M5 ones at once...

Stop! Please don't make me regret selling my E-410... I just dropped it off at the post office

Surely there is a way to get this look from the newer sensors? IIRC, the E-410 was a Panasonic sensor, but the earlier ones like the E-500 and E-1 were Kodak.

I rarely compare photos taken with different cameras of mine, so it's not apparent to me until someone points it out. For the past 3 years, I've been using the E-M5/E-PM2 which use the same Sony sensor, so I've become accustomed to this look I guess.

zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +11 more
BYRON MCD 77-81

zuikowesty wrote:

Loga wrote:

zuikowesty wrote:

Stop! Please don't make me regret selling my E-410... I just dropped it off at the post office

Surely there is a way to get this look from the newer sensors? IIRC, the E-410 was a Panasonic sensor, but the earlier ones like the E-500 and E-1 were Kodak.

I rarely compare photos taken with different cameras of mine, so it's not apparent to me until someone points it out. For the past 3 years, I've been using the E-M5/E-PM2 which use the same Sony sensor, so I've become accustomed to this look I guess.

I wouldn't worry about the 410 - the sensor on the EM5 is way better.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads