Costco and Canvas Printing

Started Mar 1, 2017 | Discussions
FtMyersTraveler Regular Member • Posts: 279
Costco and Canvas Printing

Anybody have any experience with using Costco for Canvas prints?

I have a few pictures I want to put on Canvas, and Costco (I have found with past prints) has offered some of the highest quality results.

This time around I am using post photo editing, and want to put them on Canvas.

I have found this site; https://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/  but I haven't seen anything that lists Canvas in my state, thinking they create it and ship it to a local warehouse.

Any suggestions?

FtMyersTraveler's gear list:FtMyersTraveler's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM
Doja New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Costco and Canvas Printing

I use  Costco since years and sometimes they even have a promo with $10.00 off on canvas prints.

The quality is great, only one time I had to return a 20x30 due to scratched away ink on the edges.

You can unpack and observe any canvas at the photo center and also do it later.

If you dislike it bring it back and they redu it!

Hope this helps

ppage
ppage Senior Member • Posts: 2,309

Just curious... I'm in Canada and I used to send my printing out to a lab in the US but with the drop in the Canadian dollar I'm looking for a reliable lab in Montreal.  I see that Dry Creek has profiled the Fuji Frontier printer at a Costco near me so that is definitely an option.  Are you using a profile from Dry Creek for the Costco printer you are using?  And are the files you send them sRGB or Adobe RGB files?

Thanks,
Peter

NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,448

I see that Dry Creek has profiled the Fuji Frontier printer at a Costco near me so that is definitely an option.... And are the files you send them sRGB or Adobe RGB files?

I have looked into Costco printing because it gets many good reviews, and my wife is a constant Costco shopper. But understand that Costco typically has two very different sorts of printing, depending on the size of the prints.

Costco printers larger prints on professional photo inkjet printers. By larger I think it is either 11x14 inches or 16x20 inches and larger. Those are what get the good reviews. That is the process where IIRC you can send Costco an Adobe RGB file and expect them to handle it properly.

Smaller prints are not the same inkjet prints. Although processes differ by location--and IIRC Fuji sticks the "Frontier" label on both wet-process (RA-4) and dry process printers--they will not be similar to the larger prints. Do not expect the same type of results you get with their larger prints. I would not expect them to correctly print a file sent in Adobe RGB. Also, while I'm not sure about the gamut of the dry-process Frontier printers, I would not expect a wet-process Frontier to be able to print most of the extra gamut that Adobe RGB gives you over sRGB.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
ppage

Thank you, that's very useful information. As it happens I am only interested in using Costco for larger prints so I think this might work well if I can get the correct workflow.

I was just reading a page at Dry Creek (link below) that discusses workflow and makes reference specifically to the Fuji Frontier printers. I was very surprised to read that Dry Creek recommends converting the image's profile to the printer profile along with the appropriate rendering intent rather than to sRGB before sending it to the lab because "Frontier and Noritsu printers do not read embedded profiles, so the image data must be converted." Furthermore, "embedding the profile in the image is optional."

This runs counter to everything I've ever read or done, but Dry Creek knows what they're talking about.  Do you have any thoughts on this?

https://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/using_printer_profiles.htm

Thanks again,
Peter

NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,448

I was very surprised to read that Dry Creek recommends converting the image's profile to the printer profile along with the appropriate rendering intent rather than to sRGB before sending it to the lab because "Frontier and Noritsu printers do not read embedded profiles, so the image data must be converted." Furthermore, "embedding the profile in the image is optional."

This runs counter to everything I've ever read or done, but Dry Creek knows what they're talking about. Do you have any thoughts on this?

I am not an expert on color management, so let's put that out first. However, it appears to me that you may be confusing two different types of things.

One type is color spaces--such as sRGB, Adobe RGB, and ProPhoto RGB--which specify how numbers are used to correspond to color. You might think, 'Simple! R, G, B values of 0, 0, 0 makes black, 255, 255, 255 makes white, 255, 255, 0 makes full yellow, etc.' Except no. The models for using those numbers to describe colors are a lot more complicated than that. You might read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_space.

Another type is device profiles, which describe what color outputs will be produced by a given device with any thing associated, such as a monitor, an inkjet printer with a specific paper, or an RA-4 printer with a specific paper and specific chemistry. There are colors our monitors cannot display, there are colors that any given printer-paper combination cannot print, etc. Getting good results depends in part on knowing the printer's limitations and, equally important, what input you give the printer to get some specific output within the range of what it can print.

So getting color as accurate as possible requires software and/or hardware to speak to each other in a language they can mutually understand. The color space says, 'This is the color this picture is trying to represent, please render it for me.' The device profile says, 'This is the range of color I can display and what you need to tell me to get a color in that range, what do you want?' In more sophisticated systems they can be made to play together fairly well. On the other hand, if, say, a lab's printer--by its own limitations or by the way it is configured--just assumes that when it gets told a pixel's R, G, B values are 102, 153, 17 a certain shade of 'puke green' is desired--without references to the ways different color spaces map values to colors--the color accuracy of the print depends on how closely the picture's color space matches the printers assumption. And generally that assumption is something close to sRGB.

If you're printing to a less color-sophisticated printer, but can get good information on the printer's capabilities and assumptions (like Dry Creek profiles for Frontiers), you can largely do the work on your end to get the best practicable prints.

Or at least, that's what I think. Hopefully (1) I'm at least roughly correct and (2) it makes sense to you.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,189

ppage wrote:

Thank you, that's very useful information. As it happens I am only interested in using Costco for larger prints so I think this might work well if I can get the correct workflow.

I was just reading a page at Dry Creek (link below) that discusses workflow and makes reference specifically to the Fuji Frontier printers. I was very surprised to read that Dry Creek recommends converting the image's profile to the printer profile along with the appropriate rendering intent rather than to sRGB before sending it to the lab because "Frontier and Noritsu printers do not read embedded profiles, so the image data must be converted." Furthermore, "embedding the profile in the image is optional."

This runs counter to everything I've ever read or done, but Dry Creek knows what they're talking about. Do you have any thoughts on this?

https://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/using_printer_profiles.htm

Thanks again,
Peter

IF you can get an actual output profile (from Drycreek) for ANY output device, use that and do not force sRGB onto the workflow! Costco and Drycreek work together so this full color managed workflow is possible.

The benefits of wide gamut working spaces on printed output:

This three part, 32 minute video covers why a wide gamut RGB working space like ProPhoto RGB can produce superior quality output to print.

Part 1 discusses how the supplied Gamut Test File was created and shows two prints output to an Epson 3880 using ProPhoto RGB and sRGB, how the deficiencies of sRGB gamut affects final output quality. Part 1 discusses what to look for on your own prints in terms of better color output. It also covers Photoshop’s Assign Profile command and how wide gamut spaces mishandled produce dull or over saturated colors due to user error.

Part 2 goes into detail about how to print two versions of the properly converted Gamut Test File file in Photoshop using Photoshop’s Print command to correctly setup the test files for output. It covers the Convert to Profile command for preparing test files for output to a lab.

Part 3 goes into color theory and illustrates why a wide gamut space produces not only move vibrant and saturated color but detail and color separation compared to a small gamut working space like sRGB.

High Resolution Video: http://digitaldog.net/files/WideGamutPrintVideo.mov

Low Resolution (YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLlr7wpAZKs&feature=youtu.be

-- hide signature --

Andrew Rodney
Author: Color Management for Photographers
The Digital Dog
http://www.digitaldog.net

mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 9,173

Costco doesn't offer a profile for their canvas prints since they send them out instead of printing them in-store.

mike earussi's gear list:mike earussi's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art +1 more
ppage
My apologies to the OP

mike earussi wrote:

Costco doesn't offer a profile for their canvas prints since they send them out instead of printing them in-store.

Thank you for that information because it's needed.  I posted a slightly off topic comment and in doing so I've taken this thread off in another direction.

ppage
For Andrew Rodney - Re: Costco and Canvas Printing

Thank you Rodney. The video was very helpful. I think that part of my problem is that there is almost too much information on any topic available on the net and much of it is incorrect and contradictory. For example, there is a photo lab here in Montreal that many people seem to use that has a page explaining how to prepare our files before submitting them for printing and they say to convert the profile to sRGB. Similarly the lab I used to send files to in the US said to convert to sRGB or Adobe RGB.

I was under the impression that if I converted the profile to the ICC for the printer I’d be double proofing, but Dry Creek and you both seem to be saying that’s exactly what I should do.

So assuming I’ve now got that right (always a big assumption), I come back to the first line in your post “IF you can get an actual output profile (from Drycreek) for ANY output device..”

Is that not what I’d be downloading from the link below?

https://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/Profiles/Canada_profiles.htm

Thanks again for your help,
Peter

ppage
For NAwlins - Re: Costco and Canvas Printing

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

Or at least, that's what I think. Hopefully (1) I'm at least roughly correct and (2) it makes sense to you.

Thank you very much for that long and detailed post. I think you are more than roughly correct and it does all make sense.  I do get the general principles of colour management, but I seem to be having trouble with the nit-picky implementation details.  Unfortunately Costco has NO information on their site about printer profiles or how to prepare files for printing and we are left with whatever we can find on forums like this one and on various sites like Dry Creek Photo.

As you will have noticed Rodney Andrew has also posted to this thread and I think I'm making headway thanks to the two of you.

Peter

Re: For Andrew Rodney - Re: Costco and Canvas Printing

ppage wrote:

Thank you Rodney. The video was very helpful. I think that part of my problem is that there is almost too much information on any topic available on the net and much of it is incorrect and contradictory. For example, there is a photo lab here in Montreal that many people seem to use that has a page explaining how to prepare our files before submitting them for printing and they say to convert the profile to sRGB. Similarly the lab I used to send files to in the US said to convert to sRGB or Adobe RGB.

I was under the impression that if I converted the profile to the ICC for the printer I’d be double proofing, but Dry Creek and you both seem to be saying that’s exactly what I should do.

So assuming I’ve now got that right (always a big assumption), I come back to the first line in your post “IF you can get an actual output profile (from Drycreek) for ANY output device..”

Peter

The confusion comes from both icc and gamut using the same word "profile" to describe themselves.

Think of the icc as just a translation device, i.e. this is what you'll get when you use their paper and printer (provided you have your monitor calibrated). And if you don't like what you see then this is your opportunity to alter it before you send it out.

Color profiles, OTOH, tell you how broad of a color gamut your image can contain and therefore can possibly print (given the limitations of the printer/paper combination).

Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art +1 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,189

ppage wrote:

IF you can, yes.

The ICC paper profile for the device and paper for a specific location.

Peter

-- hide signature --

Andrew Rodney
Author: Color Management for Photographers
The Digital Dog
http://www.digitaldog.net

ppage

digidog wrote:

The ICC paper profile for the device and paper for a specific location.

Perfect!  There is a profile available for the Fuji printer and Fuji paper at one of the local Costco's.

Thank you again Rodney,
Peter

ppage

Thanks Mike.  But some of the confusion also comes from people posting incorrect information, and I don't just mean in forums.  Anyway, it's started to make sense... although I thought it all made sense last year too. 

Peter

OP FtMyersTraveler Regular Member • Posts: 279

mike earussi wrote:

https://www.costcophotocenter.com/Home

If you scroll to the bottom, you will see a "Printer Profiles", clicking that will reveal two options.. one being printers / posters that are printed at your local Costco, the other is one that is delivered to Costco.

I dunno if that matters however.

http://www.profilemyphotos.com/

^ That is the website it points you too.

Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM

FtMyersTraveler wrote:

mike earussi wrote:

If you scroll to the bottom, you will see a "Printer Profiles", clicking that will reveal two options.. one being printers / posters that are printed at your local Costco, the other is one that is delivered to Costco.

I called Costco and asked specifically if they offered a profile for canvas and was told no. But that's in the U.S., maybe Canada is different.

mike earussi wrote:

FtMyersTraveler wrote:

mike earussi wrote:

I called Costco and asked specifically if they offered a profile for canvas and was told no. But that's in the U.S., maybe Canada is different.

Interesting.

Kind of like rolling the dice I guess. :o

FtMyersTraveler wrote:

mike earussi wrote:

FtMyersTraveler wrote:

mike earussi wrote:

Interesting.

It really depends on how fussy you are. You don't print at Costco for fine art anyway. It's a poly/cotton canvas (probably loaded with OBAs) and mounted on pine stretcher bars. You get what you pay for.

mike earussi wrote:

FtMyersTraveler wrote:

mike earussi wrote:

FtMyersTraveler wrote:

mike earussi wrote:

Interesting.

It really depends on how fussy you are. You don't print at Costco for fine art anyway. It's a poly/cotton canvas (probably loaded with OBAs) and mounted on pine stretcher bars. You get what you pay for.

Which is fine, the sharpness of the picture concerns me less than the coloration.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads