5D Mark IV Drop Testimony

Started Feb 26, 2017 | Discussions
BlueCosmo5050
BlueCosmo5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,665
5D Mark IV Drop Testimony

Well, I've only had the thing two weeks, decided to get a video head to go on my manfrotto. It has a lock feature that locks the camera in place, but you're always supposed to check and see if it's locked. I did not put my hand on the camera and pulled the lever, seeing that the lock was engaged from visual, popped off anyway quite a few feet onto the hard floor.

It hit the top of it near the hot shoe and the lens hood on the lens.

I've done ever test possible, no damage on the 5D Mark IV or 24-70 2.8 ii. I made sure the AF was good at all focal distances.

It left two very very small dings that you wouldn't be able to see unless pointed out right above the canon logo on top. I'd say this type of plastic is probably better than metal, kinda like a Glock gun made out of the same material, better than a metal gun for reliability.

I don't always want to put on my black rapid around the house so I made a point to always keep a hand strap on so I never dropped it. However, I didn't drop it, the tripod did. I honestly thought if it wasn't locked it'd just pop up a little, that's what usually happens, but I guess it was at just a slight enough angle that it just went head first off the tripod and onto the floor. In the field I use a safety harness on the black rapid strap as well as connected to the tripod with a D ring. At home I don't on the tripod, had I put my hands on top of the camera it would have not happened.

So I have spent all night testing this thing, getting out focus charts and everything.

I know the same fall could have damaged someone elses camera and theres no way to predict these things but I'm glad it didn't mine.

It doesn't bother me much because it didn't hurt it and even the cosmetic ding is too small to care, but it does bother me that the thing is two weeks old and I made this stupid mistake.

It of course makes me paranoid that something could be wrong with it even though I've tested it for hours. Seems that OCD won't let me believe that the thing is 100% okay although I know it is.

Kinda like when I got my new car, ended up getting a ding in the window and the hood, barely visible, but the fact that the car was like 3 days old it really has a bad feeling to it.

I've been putting off going and getting insurance until I get a good off day but I'm not even picking up the camera again until I go get insurance. I can't take any chances.

I'm not someone who can afford these things easily. It'll take me years to pay off the 5D Mark IV, it's something I plan on sticking with for a decade if not more. I'm sure it won't be the last time something happens as I am a landscaper and do a lot of hiking.

Just a reminder, if you don't got insurance... just don't even use the camera, go get it. They quoted me only 40 dollars a year, this includes theft, accidental, etc. It's from the same company that insures my car, not one of these online places where you can't be sure. I was too lazy to go give them the 40 dollars, had this fall been worse imagine the feeling.

I don't like to charge things, I let myself put this camera on a credit card knowing it would take me a while to pay it off. I don't have an amazing job or anything I just don't have kids or a wife so I can pay for it.

If you're reading this thinking... Insurance sounds like a good idea but I'll wait until I got a gig coming up, don't touch your camera. They quoted me around 50 dollars a month for business insurance but I don't do enough jobs to get that, so it's only 40 a year for non business situations.

BlueCosmo5050's gear list:BlueCosmo5050's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +1 more
stratobill Senior Member • Posts: 2,081
Re: 5D Mark IV Drop Testimony

You're very lucky!

I knocked my 6D off the roof of a car (in a case) and cracked the back. Luckily Canon fixed it perfectly.

stratobill's gear list:stratobill's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
BlueCosmo5050
OP BlueCosmo5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,665

stratobill wrote:

You're very lucky!

I knocked my 6D off the roof of a car (in a case) and cracked the back. Luckily Canon fixed it perfectly.

Just wondering, how much they charge for something like that? I have never had to do it. But because I'm a landscaper I just know it's gonna happen one day.

If I had a ton of money I'd feel different but I don't and when I dropped that 5D mark IV with a 24-70 2.8 ii on it.... It made me feel like dang I can't ever have anything nice. LOL

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +1 more
TigTillinghast Contributing Member • Posts: 519

Dropped mine on a concrete garage floor last week when picking it up by a lens that wasn't completely on. Created a cool, silver scratch on the bottom left, but no other effect. Didn't look to see if my garage floor was dented. Likely.

TigTillinghast's gear list:TigTillinghast's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Sony a7R IV Canon EOS R5 +1 more
BlueCosmo5050
OP BlueCosmo5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,665

TigTillinghast wrote:

Dropped mine on a concrete garage floor last week when picking it up by a lens that wasn't completely on. Created a cool, silver scratch on the bottom left, but no other effect. Didn't look to see if my garage floor was dented. Likely.

Yeah they seem to be very reliable. It didn't do anything to mine, I thought it had two small dents in the top, but they were just scratches and I rubbed it off with my finger. If you really really stare at it you can kinda see the marks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads