Lumix G85 this is Panasonic's Sleeper Camera

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
danieljcox
danieljcox Contributing Member • Posts: 797
Lumix G85 this is Panasonic's Sleeper Camera

Some may think my review of the G85 is "late to the party" as some have suggested regarding other reviews I've done in the past. But unlike many, I actually use the cameras I'm reviewing in my daily work, preferring to spend time with each model as opposed to just writing what's already in the manual.

I've found the G85 is one heck of a lot of camera for the money. New features over the G7 such as:

Lappet-faced vulture, Masai Mara Game Reserve, from a recent shoot in Kenya G85 with Leica 100-400mm

-Serious weather sealing

-Dual IS version 2

-Stronger metal chassis

-Magnetic electronic shutter (think no shutter shock)

-Economy Mode (think longer battery life)

-New side door for SD card

-Better DFD AF (Image above)

If you're interested you can read more at http://naturalexposures.com/panasonic-lumix-g85-review/

-- hide signature --
 danieljcox's gear list:danieljcox's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 +17 more
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mebpenguin
Mebpenguin Regular Member • Posts: 476
Re: Lumix G85 this is Panasonic's Sleeper Camera

danieljcox wrote:

Some may think my review of the G85 is "late to the party" as some have suggested regarding other reviews I've done in the past. But unlike many, I actually use the cameras I'm reviewing in my daily work, preferring to spend time with each model as opposed to just writing what's already in the manual.

I've found the G85 is one heck of a lot of camera for the money. New features over the G7 such as:

Lappet-faced vulture, Masai Mara Game Reserve, from a recent shoot in Kenya G85 with Leica 100-400mm

-Serious weather sealing

-Dual IS version 2

-Stronger metal chassis

-Magnetic electronic shutter (think no shutter shock)

-Economy Mode (think longer battery life)

-New side door for SD card

-Better DFD AF (Image above)

If you're interested you can read more at http://naturalexposures.com/panasonic-lumix-g85-review/

-- hide signature --

Agreed. I went from the G7 to the G85 and it felt like a huge upgrade. Loving mine.

Mebpenguin's gear list:Mebpenguin's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V +1 more
keepfocused Forum Member • Posts: 91

If you mainly shot stills and had a GH4 would you sell it to get the G85? If so, why?

Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Excellent review, Daniel. Lovely images nt
-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://rabaulpng.com/we-are-all-traveling-throug/i-waited-51-years-for-tavur.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Donald B
Donald B Veteran Member • Posts: 6,685

the image you poster is not sharp and has a lot of noise.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM5, EM5mk2 my toys.
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9.

Alan_W1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,282

An interesting read Daniel, and I share some of your views in your review.

For me, the G80 is the first M43 camera that I liked immediately {my previous GH2 and G6's took a serious amount of time to get fairly comfortable with their handling}.

With regards to your mention of accidently activating certain buttons, I too have always had this issue with the M43 bodies I have owned {mainly the display buttons}, apart from my G80, which is a plus for my use....although personally speaking, I do wish these sized bodies had smaller rear screens, to allow all buttons to be moved further to the left {speaking as a left-eyed EVF user only}.

I haven't experimented with the battery economy feature yet, in case there are any small lags involved with its use.....so I must give it a try out.

I do like the video qualities of the g80 {always felt my g6's were not quite on the GH2 level....but difficult to put my finger on why this should be}, and feel the g80 will serve my video needs for a very substantial amount of time....the GH5 being over-kill for my purposes {as much as I will drool over it}.

I have dabbled with the 4k Photo {which I find to be an interesting feature} , and intend to use it as a nice distraction from my usual video shooting...which can become quite intense, due to the complexity of the subject.

I think you may be right about the G80....it seems likely to me it will achieve a similar popularity to the GH2, but in a different way.....the GH2 for video, and the G80 being superb value for money...considering the features packed into it's body {for both stills and video}.

Alan_W1's gear list:Alan_W1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +5 more
tgutgu Veteran Member • Posts: 3,931

Nice advertising for your blog. Anything more substantially new? The specs of the camera are already well known. Why is the camera a sleeper? Just to carry more clicks to your blog?

The camera is well covered in internet fora. So, your suggestion isn't convincing.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II +30 more
rashid7
rashid7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,468

nice review, and much appreciated!  4the life of me I can't imagine why someone would protest your post! )-;

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

danieljcox
danieljcox OP Contributing Member • Posts: 797

tgutgu wrote:

Nice advertising for your blog. Anything more substantially new? The specs of the camera are already well known. Why is the camera a sleeper? Just to carry more clicks to your blog?

The camera is well covered in internet fora. So, your suggestion isn't convincing.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

Then ignore it Thomas and take the time to work on your jealousy issues. I'm guessing you've never written a blog and put in the long hours it takes to do so. If you had something constructive to say, you too might have an online presence and people interested in following you.

Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 +17 more
rashid7

I agree that the G85 is a 'sleeper'!  Despite the Gold DPR review, it seems to have lacked the attention it deserves.  The GH5 is monopolizing attention now, but it sure is nice to have a camera as affordable as the G85!  And the way (most) Lumix bodies quickly depreciate, the price tends to work its way down (-:

I have generally preferred Lumix to Olympus, and now that we have an affordable Wx-resistant option (w/ one heck-of a good kit lens value) and near-Oly calibre IBIS/ dual-IS, what more could (many of us) ask for?

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

danieljcox wrote:

tgutgu wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thomas

Then ignore it Thomas and take the time to work on your jealousy issues. I'm guessing you've never written a blog and put in the long hours it takes to do so. If you had something constructive to say, you too might have an online presence and people interested in following you.

-- hide signature --

I am not criticizing your review, it is well written. But it isn't necessary that bloggers themselves do a post here - without significant content, and an attracting headline - to advertise their publication. Be sure, others will do that anyway, if it is worth to read it.

I have read your review, even before your post, and was attracted by your baseless headline, by asking myself, why someone could call the GX85 a "sleeper". Then I found nothing substantial to support this hypothesis, only a few already known specs, and a link to your blog.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II +30 more
Nemo0815 Contributing Member • Posts: 753

danieljcox wrote:

tgutgu wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thomas

-- hide signature --

Don't listen to him, it's simply the wrong camera brand for him you wrote about... nothing new.

Nemo0815's gear list:Nemo0815's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more

Nemo0815 wrote:

danieljcox wrote:

tgutgu wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thomas

-- hide signature --

Don't listen to him, it's simply the wrong camera brand for him you wrote about... nothing new.

Did I say anything against the camera? No. I even said, that it isn't a sleeper, and a well regarded and often recommended product. Probably currently the ILC with the best price / performance ratio.

Regarding brands: I use Panasonic products since January 2009.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

Kaso Senior Member • Posts: 3,604

The G85 is not a "sleeper." The G85 "body + 12-60 lens" kit is sold out at many stores. People know an awesome deal when they come across one.

For the kind of remote fast-motion scenarios you alluded to, there are cameras that are better suited, like Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 80D, Nikon D7200 and Nikon D500. One can get one of the first 3 models for not much more than a G85. The G85 is recognized for its value, but price is an important indicator of any product offering.

I use G85 (my first MFT camera, approached from a video/4K point of interest), 7D II, 80D and D7200.

I do enjoy and appreciate my G85, but my motto is always: "Tool for task."

rashid7

Kaso wrote:

The G85 is not a "sleeper." The G85 "body + 12-60 lens" kit is sold out at many stores. People know an awesome deal when they come across one.

For the kind of remote fast-motion scenarios you alluded to, there are cameras that are better suited, like Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 80D, Nikon D7200 and Nikon D500. One can get one of the first 3 models for not much more than a G85. The G85 is recognized for its value, but price is an important indicator of any product offering.

I use G85 (my first MFT camera, approached from a video/4K point of interest), 7D II, 80D and D7200.

wow... I'd love to read your thots on how those cameras compare.  I find the extra resolution of the Nikons shows up once in a while, but for the most part, there isn't much difference between my GX85 and D5500.  Kit lenses also seem comparable (excellent). Both EVF and OVF suck.   I do like IBIS!

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

Kaso Senior Member • Posts: 3,604

rashid7 wrote:

Kaso wrote:

wow... I'd love to read your thots on how those cameras compare. I find the extra resolution of the Nikons shows up once in a while, but for the most part, there isn't much difference between my GX85 and D5500. Kit lenses also seem comparable (excellent). Both EVF and OVF suck. I do like IBIS!

I was not talking about "extra resolution" and "IQ." Think Continuous AF Tracking.

I refuse to be a branded cow. No product is perfect. No company is sacred. "Me first."

danieljcox
danieljcox OP Contributing Member • Posts: 797

tgutgu wrote:

danieljcox wrote:

tgutgu wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thomas

-- hide signature --

I am not criticizing your review, it is well written. But it isn't necessary that bloggers themselves do a post here - without significant content, and an attracting headline - to advertise their publication. Be sure, others will do that anyway, if it is worth to read it.

I have read your review, even before your post, and was attracted by your baseless headline, by asking myself, why someone could call the GX85 a "sleeper". Then I found nothing substantial to support this hypothesis, only a few already known specs, and a link to your blog.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

Like I said earlier Thomas. Just ignore it. You're spending way too much time defending yourself. Here's the deal. Many people appreciate a blog post that is put together over a period of time. Not everything is new but there are some interesting points I've not read anyone else write about, like the buttons for instance. You have to realize that I could have written this entire review and posted it only on DPReview. But that would then taken away from the many folks who do like reading my pown on my Blog. Not sure what sort of burr you  have between your cheeks but you need to get a life dude and try to find something  positive In your life since you're obviously missing positive motivation.

lescrane Regular Member • Posts: 358

Needless response.  Dan Cox' reviews and blog posts have been invaluable inguiding me on Lumix selection and usage in the field.

He takes the time to respond to questions on his blog that are posted.

If you have no use for it, you don't have to read it.

Tom Caldwell MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 30,278
Maybe it does maybe it doesn't

tgutgu wrote:

danieljcox wrote:

tgutgu wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thomas

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Thomas

Whilst not really supporting your argument fully I have to see some point in it.

It is a maxim of business that a report should contain enough facts to be useful.  Therefore a post short on facts (other  than a nice image) is no more than advertising another source of information that has to be followed up if that information is to be divulged with no certainty that there will be a result that the reader finds useful.

This sort of thing would drive a busy manager to the brink of insanity.  Imagine if he/she called for a report and the result was simply a reference to a bulky file that contained all the unexpurgated detail and would have to be sought from the storage stack.

Of course many will appreciate the hard work of a blogger and relish the experience as an adventure and source of further facts.  Others will see the link and think "maybe I wasted my time as there is nothing here actually posted on dpreview along the lines of my expectation from this forum".

A matter of choice and neither good nor bad and both arguments are worth exploring.

Maybe the OP passes the basic criteria, maybe it doesn't.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

KTMfan Contributing Member • Posts: 670

Kaso wrote:

Seems to be a bit of confusion as to what constitutes a sleeper. A sleeper is something that punches above its weight, and is not flashy, and  has no bling or fanfare surrounding it, to give the game away. Perfect description for the G80/85 I'd say. Nice review. Great to see happy and positive photographers posting in forums. Way way way too many misery guts's and negative Nellie's around these days, whose sole intention is to tear things apart. Presumably just to make themselves feel important.  Get a life. Keep posting Daniel

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads