Custom made adapter for Samsung NX lens

Started Feb 19, 2017 | Discussions
higgshunter New Member • Posts: 2
Custom made adapter for Samsung NX lens

Hi all,

I am currently using a Samsung NX500 with a couple Samyang manual lenses. As we all now, the NX system is now dead. While I'm currently very happy with the NX system, and plan to use the camera until it dies, I would like also to explore the possibility of moving to a new system eventually without having to sell my Samyang lenses.

I am looking into APS-C mirrorless system like Sony or Fuji, and planning to still use my Samyang lenses. My question is:

1. Does anyone know if  NX to E mount or NX to Fuji adapter exist in the market?

2. If not, is there any place where I can custom order adapter for NX to E mount or NX to Fuji (i live in the UK, but anywhere in Europe or USA would be fine)?

I have checked the flange distance of NX system is 25.50 mm, Sony 18mm and Fuji 17.7 mm. So in principle having such an adapter would be possible, and I only need a dumb adapter.

Thank you!!!

Samsung NX500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
apathyman Senior Member • Posts: 2,980
Re: Custom made adapter for Samsung NX lens

I don't have any experience with adapting the NX lenses to other systems but this thread discusses the matter in some detail:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/39338571

It seems that, while an adapter is feasible, a main drawback is the inability to focus the lenses without communication with the camera body.

Cheers

Brian

Chen G Regular Member • Posts: 370

higgshunter wrote:

Hi all,

I am currently using a Samsung NX500 with a couple Samyang manual lenses. As we all now, the NX system is now dead. While I'm currently very happy with the NX system, and plan to use the camera until it dies, I would like also to explore the possibility of moving to a new system eventually without having to sell my Samyang lenses.

I am looking into APS-C mirrorless system like Sony or Fuji, and planning to still use my Samyang lenses. My question is:

1. Does anyone know if NX to E mount or NX to Fuji adapter exist in the market?

no

2. If not, is there any place where I can custom order adapter for NX to E mount or NX to Fuji (i live in the UK, but anywhere in Europe or USA would be fine)?

no, you probably can't afford it anyway. If you knew anything about economics of scale, a custom part like this might cost you more than any NX lens you currently own.

Also what's the point when you can't focus or operate the aperture?

I have checked the flange distance of NX system is 25.50 mm, Sony 18mm and Fuji 17.7 mm. So in principle having such an adapter would be possible, and I only need a dumb adapter.

Thank you!!!

Chen G's gear list:Chen G's gear list
Sony a6300
thebustos Veteran Member • Posts: 3,373

The Samyang lenses the OP has are manual focus which likely means they also have manual apertures (I'm pretty sure all of the Rokinon/Bower/Samyang manual focus lenses have manual apertures as well). They simply wouldn't communicate focal length or aperture for exif data, but should work (theoretically).

However, as another poster pointed out, getting a custom made adapter would likely be expensive. It could outweigh the cost of simply buying the lens in the new native mount you go with.

-- hide signature --

Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +17 more
AlbertTheLazy
AlbertTheLazy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,974

As a lot of the third party manual lenses for mirrorless seem to be the same across a range of mounts (Sony/Fuji/M4/3... ) it might be possible to actually change the mount over. I don't know if you can buy them as spare parts.

-- hide signature --

Albert
The lazy photographer

AlbertTheLazy's gear list:AlbertTheLazy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,778

higgshunter wrote:

Hi all,

1. Does anyone know if NX to E mount or NX to Fuji adapter exist in the market?

Thank you!!!

You might be adapting in the wrong direction.  You might be able to adapt the Fuji lens to the NX, but not the other way around without some sort of conversion lens in the adapter.

AlbertTheLazy
AlbertTheLazy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,974

BBbuilder467 wrote:

higgshunter wrote:

You might be adapting in the wrong direction.

Not if those flange distances are correct.

You might be able to adapt the Fuji lens to the NX, but not the other way around without some sort of conversion lens in the adapter.

How do you work that out?

-- hide signature --

Albert
The lazy photographer

AlbertTheLazy's gear list:AlbertTheLazy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
apathyman Senior Member • Posts: 2,980

AlbertInFrance wrote:

BBbuilder467 wrote:

higgshunter wrote:

You might be adapting in the wrong direction.

Not if those flange distances are correct.

They seem to be correct, based on this list:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

You might be able to adapt the Fuji lens to the NX, but not the other way around without some sort of conversion lens in the adapter.

No, the NX lens needs to be 25.5mm from the sensor so, a 7.8mm deep adapter on the Fuji would allow an NX lens to mount on the Fuji and achieve infinity focus.  It's not possible to mount the Fuji on the NX without an optical element because the depth of the NX camera body means that the Fuji lens can't be mounted close enough (17.7mm) to the NX's sensor.

Of  course, none of this means that suitable adapters exist.

Cheers

Brian

a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,337

http://srb-photographic.co.uk/ make specials.  Dunno about this one.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
OP higgshunter New Member • Posts: 2

Thanks all, for replying to my question(s).

I have asked http://srb-photographic.co.uk/, but they apparently don't make this custom adapter.

I ended up trying to build a DIY NX-FX adapter, from parts of Samsung NX and Fuji FX extension tubes, by gluing the NX camera mount to Fuji FX lens mount. While, I'm not that confident that the super glue is strong enough for a longer use, the DIY adapter seems to be working. The adapter's depth is a bit off I think (shorter) but when I mount my Samyang 12mm NX mount, it seems to cover close up focus to infinity focus just fine.

Samyang 12mm NX mount, mounted on Fuji XE1

NX-FX DIY adapter from extension tube parts

Sample image 1

Sample image 2

Sample image 3

Sample image 4.

Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 1,268

higgshunter wrote:

I ended up trying to build a DIY NX-FX adapter, from parts of Samsung NX and Fuji FX extension tubes, by gluing the NX camera mount to Fuji FX lens mount. While, I'm not that confident that the super glue is strong enough for a longer use, the DIY adapter seems to be working. The adapter's depth is a bit off I think (shorter) but when I mount my Samyang 12mm NX mount, it seems to cover close up focus to infinity focus just fine.

That's an interesting solution to the problem – well done.

By a spooky coincidence I've been experimenting with a similar project recently, and here's version 0.2 of a work-in-progress:

Samsung NX 20-50mm zoom lens on the Fujifilm X-E1

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Sony a7
Faith Yeung Contributing Member • Posts: 590

Interested. I am also thinking how to use my Samyang nx mount lens on other system.

higgshunter wrote:

Thanks all, for replying to my question(s).

I have asked http://srb-photographic.co.uk/, but they apparently don't make this custom adapter.

Samyang 12mm NX mount, mounted on Fuji XE1

NX-FX DIY adapter from extension tube parts

Sample image 1

Sample image 2

Sample image 3

Sample image 4.

Faith Yeung's gear list:Faith Yeung's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Samsung NX20 Sony Alpha a99 Nikon 1 V2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads