ICC Profiles for Epson Papers to use on a Canon Pixma Pro 100 printer

Started Feb 11, 2017 | Discussions
BruceLV Junior Member • Posts: 48
ICC Profiles for Epson Papers to use on a Canon Pixma Pro 100 printer

I just switched over from an older Epson printer to a Canon Pixma Pro-100.  I have a lot of Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper and Epson Glossy Photo Paper (not premium, but regular) left over.  I was hoping to use it, but I do not have an ICC profile to use on this Pixma Pro-100 printer with either of these papers, nor do I have the hardware\software available to make my own.  I was wondering if anyone would possibly have an ICC profile that I could use in Windows 10 for either of these papers with this printer. Let me know.

Thanks!

Bruce

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 9,986
Re: ICC Profiles for Epson Papers to use on a Canon Pixma Pro 100 printer

I think you'll find that using a profile for the nearest Canon paper will get you quite close.

-- hide signature --

Online civility: Before you press 'Post', ask yourself if you'd say that to someone face to face.

jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,812

BruceLV wrote:

I just switched over from an older Epson printer to a Canon Pixma Pro-100. I have a lot of Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper and Epson Glossy Photo Paper (not premium, but regular) left over. I was hoping to use it, but I do not have an ICC profile to use on this Pixma Pro-100 printer with either of these papers, nor do I have the hardware\software available to make my own. I was wondering if anyone would possibly have an ICC profile that I could use in Windows 10 for either of these papers with this printer. Let me know.

Thanks!

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

So I assume you are printing with OEM ink or have started refilling with precisioncolors ink set?

However you might be pleasantly surprised that you get very close results using a glossy paper setting within your PRO-100 driver, as long as you are still using OEM inks.

Joe

MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz9YXaSulpM90vC24lmAeZA
Micromachining and Miniature Cabinetmaking channel
JTOOLMAN1949 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFPD5beoll9TvvW2u_dR0hQ

OP BruceLV Junior Member • Posts: 48

jtoolman wrote:

BruceLV wrote:

I just switched over from an older Epson printer to a Canon Pixma Pro-100. I have a lot of Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper and Epson Glossy Photo Paper (not premium, but regular) left over. I was hoping to use it, but I do not have an ICC profile to use on this Pixma Pro-100 printer with either of these papers, nor do I have the hardware\software available to make my own. I was wondering if anyone would possibly have an ICC profile that I could use in Windows 10 for either of these papers with this printer. Let me know.

Thanks!

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

So I assume you are printing with OEM ink or have started refilling with precisioncolors ink set?

However you might be pleasantly surprised that you get very close results using a glossy paper setting within your PRO-100 driver, as long as you are still using OEM inks.

Joe

MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz9YXaSulpM90vC24lmAeZA
Micromachining and Miniature Cabinetmaking channel
JTOOLMAN1949 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFPD5beoll9TvvW2u_dR0hQ

Hey Jose,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try printing on my Epson papers this week and see how well it works.

I did decide to eventually switchover to PC inks, but I am still working with my original set of OEM Canon ink carts.  Four of them are near empty.   Per your advice, I just ordered another set of original OEM Canon carts so I will have two complete sets with the goal of ending up with 2 sets of modified carts that use PC inks.  I am going to order the PC ink kit once I start getting low on my second set of OEM Canon carts.  I will let you know how it all works out!  Thanks again for you assistance.

Bruce

jefftee Regular Member • Posts: 271

You could always use the custom ICC profiles created by PC.

David Pavlich
David Pavlich Veteran Member • Posts: 4,615

Just the opposite here.  I had the Pro 100 and now have a pile of Canon paper but bought the Epson P800.  I thought I'd have to get rid of the Canon paper, but using the nearest Epson profile, it does a very nice job.  I think you'll find that it works just fine on your Canon.

David

-- hide signature --

When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'
Viewbug: https://www.viewbug.com/member/David_Pavlich

David Pavlich's gear list:David Pavlich's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
OP BruceLV Junior Member • Posts: 48

Based upon the advice above to try a similar Canon ICC on the Epson Papers (e.g., use a Canon Glossy ICC on Epson Glossy paper), I did a bit of controlled testing.

First, I printed an image on Canon Pro Platinum Paper using the appropriate "Canon Pro-100 [PT] 1/2 Photo Paper Pro Platinum" ICC profile. Because this print used the appropriate profile for the appropriate paper, I used it as my reference standard (and, as it turns out, this was clearly the best image of all my test prints described below).

I next printed the same image three times using Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper using the following 3 ICC profiles:

1) Canon Pro-100 [PT] 1/2 Photo Paper Pro Platinum

2) Canon Pro-100 [GL] [PP] 1/2 Photo Paper Plus Glossy&Gold

3) Canon Pro-100 [GD] 2 Other Glossy Paper

These three test prints were VERY similar to each other. 1) and 3) were almost indistinguishable, while 2) had colors that were slightly more dull than 1) and 3). I mixed up the three prints so that I did not know which one was which. Both my friend and I picked 3) as the best print followed by 1) followed by 2). All three prints had a slight grey cast relative to the reference print noted above. When using this Epson paper with my Canon Pixma Pro, I will the ICC profile associated w/ 3).

I next printed the same image using regular Epson Glossy Photo Paper (non Premium) using the following 3 ICC profiles:

1) Canon Pro-100 [PT] 1/2 Photo Paper Pro Platinum

2) Canon Pro-100 [GL] [PP] 1/2 Photo Paper Plus Glossy&Gold

3) Canon Pro-100 [GD] 2 Other Glossy Paper

The test on this regular glossy paper yielded the same results.  1) and 3) were very similar with 3) ever-so-slightly better (richer color).    All three of these prints seemed a smidge more dull than their Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper counterparts and noticeably more dull than the reference standard image.

I was happy to see that I can still use all the Epson paper that I had at the time I upgraded to my Pixma Pro 100 and still get great results!  Hopefully, this might help someone else who might be in my same situation with extra Epson paper.

Bruce

Cat-K New Member • Posts: 2

Bruce, thank you!

I am in exactly the same situation as you are; recently purchased the Canon PRO-100 and have the Epson Premium Photo Paper Glossy.

So I appreciate you sharing your test results.

Catherine

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads