More BIF testing with Tamron 150-600 G2

Started Feb 11, 2017 | Discussions
Warkari Contributing Member • Posts: 727
More BIF testing with Tamron 150-600 G2

This time, I tried BIF with the lens on a tripod and turned VC off. Photos were much sharper but still saw some smearing on some photos when viewed at 100%.  And quite obviously, if the subject is closer (less than 100 feet), the photos are sharper too.

- Amit

Warkari's gear list:Warkari's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Nikon 85mm F1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +6 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cassowary Regular Member • Posts: 164
Re: More BIF testing with Tamron 150-600 G2

Looks pretty sharp.  Did you do any sharpening in PP?

Colocam Junior Member • Posts: 31

Nice job. I'd be really happy with those results!

Colocam's gear list:Colocam's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
OP Warkari Contributing Member • Posts: 727

Cassowary wrote:

Looks pretty sharp. Did you do any sharpening in PP?

Thanks. Yes, I always shoot in RAW so during PP I do levels adjustment, bump up clarity, vibrance and add selective sharpening.

Amit

Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Nikon 85mm F1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +6 more
Jura S Senior Member • Posts: 1,975

Warkari wrote:

This time, I tried BIF with the lens on a tripod and turned VC off. Photos were much sharper but still saw some smearing on some photos when viewed at 100%. And quite obviously, if the subject is closer (less than 100 feet), the photos are sharper too.

- Amit

All those photos are taken at 550+mm, they are cropped and PPed.

Don't you think that a large volume of air upon a water surface can do something? Some kind of slight disturbances?

And there is more that this. All your photos have fast shutter speed. That's good. But even the slightest movement of a bird and you causes wrong focus or general blurriness.

If you want to check sharpness of the lens, use stationary targets.

OP Warkari Contributing Member • Posts: 727

Jura S wrote:

Warkari wrote:

This time, I tried BIF with the lens on a tripod and turned VC off. Photos were much sharper but still saw some smearing on some photos when viewed at 100%. And quite obviously, if the subject is closer (less than 100 feet), the photos are sharper too.

- Amit

All those photos are taken at 550+mm, they are cropped and PPed.

Don't you think that a large volume of air upon a water surface can do something? Some kind of slight disturbances?

And there is more that this. All your photos have fast shutter speed. That's good. But even the slightest movement of a bird and you causes wrong focus or general blurriness.

If you want to check sharpness of the lens, use stationary targets.

Jura,

good points. Stationary pictures over land even over 300-400 feet are pretty good. Much better than my previous G1.

regarding BIF of the ducks over water, I noticed that some photos were tack sharp and some were smeared, right in the same sequence. On tripod and VC off, shutter speed 1/3200. Wondering if it's my technique while panning. I need to check again but I think in the smeared photos, the subject was not in center of frame, so many the outside sensors are not that accurate.

-Amit

https://www.flickr.com/photos/warkari/

BernhardF
BernhardF New Member • Posts: 10

Looks pretty good to me. Hope I can get similar results when the bird season starts up here in north Sweden. So far I am much more satisfied with the G2-version than he previous G1 - but hats stationary subjects only so it's going to be real interesting with BIF.

-- hide signature --

The best photo is the one yet to take

BernhardF's gear list:BernhardF's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
James Larsen
James Larsen Senior Member • Posts: 4,500

Very nice.

-- hide signature --

I love Photography & Cinematography.
Follow me on 500px: https://500px.com/jameslarsenmi
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/JamesLarsenMI
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCglBlmPTAGoV29E-nyRcbDw

James Larsen's gear list:James Larsen's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads