EM1 Goes to Lofoten, Norway

Started Feb 8, 2017 | Photos
slartz
slartz Senior Member • Posts: 2,098
EM1 Goes to Lofoten, Norway

Came back from a week of photography trip to Lofoten Islands in Norway. Some initial photos.

Sunset over Rocks, Haukland Beach, Lofoten Islands

Hamnoy Pier, Lofoten Islands.

Aurora, Lofoten Islands

Sunrise over Fish Drying  Racks, Lofoten Islands

slartz's gear list:slartz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +9 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 13,283
Great Series of Photos

You really put the 7-14mm F2.8 to good use.  Did you use filters on this lens and if so which filter holder did you use.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
slartz
OP slartz Senior Member • Posts: 2,098
Re: Great Series of Photos

DLBlack wrote:

You really put the 7-14mm F2.8 to good use. Did you use filters on this lens and if so which filter holder did you use.

Yes, I used filters. Combination of CPL, ND10, and GND3. All filters are Haida, 100mm.

The holder is a LEE holder, using the adapter created by enzojz. You can get more info here: https://www.7-14filter.com/

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +9 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 13,283
Re: Great Series of Photos

slartz wrote:

DLBlack wrote:

You really put the 7-14mm F2.8 to good use. Did you use filters on this lens and if so which filter holder did you use.

Yes, I used filters. Combination of CPL, ND10, and GND3. All filters are Haida, 100mm.

The holder is a LEE holder, using the adapter created by enzojz. You can get more info here: https://www.7-14filter.com/

Many thanks for the filter and filter holder information.  I guess I will need to break down and buy a filter holder for the 7-14mm F2.8 lens.

Anyhow, I enjoyed the photos!

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more
Andreas Voigt Regular Member • Posts: 164
Re: EM1 Goes to Lofoten, Norway

Awesome pics!!

And they show clearly the severe shortcomings of the sensor at high ISO and long exposure

Andreas Voigt's gear list:Andreas Voigt's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic GH5
19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,253

A very nice set.

Andrew

111jackny44
111jackny44 Senior Member • Posts: 2,234

Wonderful series, great color and the Northern Lights one is my favorite.

111jackny44's gear list:111jackny44's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
slartz

Andreas Voigt wrote:

Awesome pics!!

And they show clearly the severe shortcomings of the sensor at high ISO and long exposure

to some degree - yes. undoubtfully people who were on this trip with me with their D810 got better performance for Aurora shots.

Having said that, other than the Aurora shots, I felt no drawbacks against the bigger cameras, and I was much happier carrying my gear. AND - The Aurora shots are still good enough for pretty much any practical purpose.

Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
VEry nice work, slartz

Interesting technically, good stuff artistically, and showing an unusual subject.

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://rabaulpng.com/we-are-all-traveling-throug/i-waited-51-years-for-tavur.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
FMohsin
FMohsin Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

FMohsin's gear list:FMohsin's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 20D Olympus E-1 +22 more
highwave Senior Member • Posts: 1,268

beutiful work thanks for sharing

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
mazzuccato
mazzuccato Senior Member • Posts: 2,552

Very beautiful pictures!

-- hide signature --

Stefano

mazzuccato's gear list:mazzuccato's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Bobby J Veteran Member • Posts: 4,694

Love the aurora shot.  All good.

-- hide signature --

BJM

Bobby J's gear list:Bobby J's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +9 more
Osa25 Senior Member • Posts: 1,518

The fish drying racks at sunset is a beauty!

Osa25's gear list:Osa25's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7
amipal
amipal Contributing Member • Posts: 822

Stunning images. Another place to add to the travel list!

Cheers,
Paul

amipal's gear list:amipal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 14,104
Barely the sensor, mostly post processing.

Andreas Voigt wrote:

Awesome pics!!

I seriously like the compositions a lot! But the pics are very noisy and this seems to be clearly due to oversharpening big time. Not in the aurorapic may be and the last is not too bad at all. But I think he used a ND filter in one of the other pics understandably for the effect but why ISO200 look so noisy is beyond me.

The aurora pic looks like a waterpainting full size.

I have shot NLCs over here, ISO800 shots and they do not remotely close to what he shows here. So I think it is his preference to get really good looking shots at smaller sizes. Some of these shots will probably print well too.

Somehow I feel like I take away some thing of his really great compositions though....

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 14,839

Excellent, crisp, colourful and atmospheric set, slartz. I particularly like the crisp and colourful #2.

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +2 more
Maceairsidh
Maceairsidh Regular Member • Posts: 115

Four really nice but DIFFERENT shots!  Great variety.

Maceairsidh's gear list:Maceairsidh's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +2 more
slartz
Re: Barely the sensor, mostly post processing.

Jorginho wrote:

Andreas Voigt wrote:

Awesome pics!!

I seriously like the compositions a lot! But the pics are very noisy and this seems to be clearly due to oversharpening big time. Not in the aurorapic may be and the last is not

too bad at all. But I think he used a ND filter in one of the other pics understandably for the effect but why ISO200 look so noisy is beyond me.

I'm simply not that troubled by pixel peeping. The main reason there's noise is because I don't like LR noise reduction, and I exported these from LR without running them through NIK Dfine (Except for the aurora one which had bad enough noise to justify it). If I ever choose to print them large, I will bother running the noise reduction on them.

Yes. This one DID go throuhg Dfine for noise reduction - the bottom part esp needed heavy handed NR because of the long exposure in ISO 1600 and some brightening of the rocks. That *IS* shortcoming of the sensor, and NOT over sharpening (you should see the JPEGs off the camera....)

I have shot NLCs over here, ISO800 shots and they do not remotely close to what he shows here. So I think it is his preference to get really good looking shots at smaller sizes. Some of these shots will probably print well too.

Smaller size? no.... viewing size. I gave up pixel peeping the day I moved to m43. If you pixel peep at m43 you get depressed ;-P. A 5DIV will produce FAR better images at pixel peeping level. so I don't.

The photos look great full screen on my 27" screen, with the only cavity with the aurora pic at 1600.

Somehow I feel like I take away some thing of his really great compositions though....

You're not taking away anything. This is a legitimate discussion.

Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 14,104
Re: Barely the sensor, mostly post processing.

slartz wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

Andreas Voigt wrote:

Awesome pics!!

I seriously like the compositions a lot! But the pics are very noisy and this seems to be clearly due to oversharpening big time. Not in the aurorapic may be and the last is not

too bad at all. But I think he used a ND filter in one of the other pics understandably for the effect but why ISO200 look so noisy is beyond me.

I'm simply not that troubled by pixel peeping. The main reason there's noise is because I don't like LR noise reduction, and I exported these from LR without running them through NIK Dfine (Except for the aurora one which had bad enough noise to justify it). If I ever choose to print them large, I will bother running the noise reduction on them.

I see and understand.

Yes. This one DID go throuhg Dfine for noise reduction - the bottom part esp needed heavy handed NR because of the long exposure in ISO 1600 and some brightening of the rocks. That *IS* shortcoming of the sensor, and NOT over sharpening (you should see the JPEGs off the camera....)

Advice: use a graduated filter upside down. You can use it that way to block brighter parts on the bottom of course.

I have to say I do not run into such problems with 10s exposures at that ISO at all. With the Gh4. It does behave worse when you go to 15 s or so.

Smaller size? no.... viewing size. I gave up pixel peeping the day I moved to m43. If you pixel peep at m43 you get depressed ;-P. A 5DIV will produce FAR better images at pixel peeping level. so I don't.

Well I used D800E and Gh4 side by side and was not so negative about GH4 at all. What blew me away lately is Em1.2 Hires mode. Can't wait to use it on NLCs and with some luck aurorae (the sun is very quiet now, so not much hope there). we always have some, but sometimes they are beyond belief (with corona, so aurorae in zenit!).

I think I will get the venus 7.5 F2.0 or the 12 mm F1.4 Leica. Em1.2 has better high ISo performance so that combination should help a little over my 1.7 primes with GH4. And in hires mode the thing should look great.

The photos look great full screen on my 27" screen, with the only cavity with the aurora pic at 1600.

You're not taking away anything. This is a legitimate discussion.

I know but ratio and feelings sometimes do not mix too well. Hope to see more of you!

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads