Best way to clean camera bodies and lens barrels

Started Feb 7, 2017 | Discussions
canonbcguy Contributing Member • Posts: 740
Best way to clean camera bodies and lens barrels

What works best for cleaning camera bodies and lenses (not sensors or glass).

My bodies get grimy and somewhat greasy over time.  I've tried 99% isopropyl alcohol as well as acetone with microfibre cloths.  This seems to clean it well (dissolve grease) at first, when the surface is wet, but when it dries, there is still a trace of greasiness.

canonbcguy's gear list:canonbcguy's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +38 more
Mark Blauhoefer
Mark Blauhoefer Senior Member • Posts: 1,226
Re: Best way to clean camera bodies and lens barrels

I use only damp microfibre cloth. no other chemicals than H2O. Muck's always gone into the cloth, not spread around.

Then I wash the cloth in water only, and let it dry out.

-- hide signature --

Painting with light

Mark Blauhoefer's gear list:Mark Blauhoefer's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S8000 Samsung ST30 Canon EOS M3 Nikon D850
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 17,569

A piece of dry microfiber cloth mostly (to absorb moisture or grease) and if too much sweat after shooting in hot day, a damp microfiber cloth and followed by a dry one would do.

I would do the cleaning very often before they built up to a degree of difficult to clean.

Leaving too much moisture with the gear would be the least I wanted as in my living area RH 70% would consider dangerously dry for a fire danger warning alert.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more
spencergf Contributing Member • Posts: 641

A dry or slightly damp microfiber cloth.

spencergf's gear list:spencergf's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,358

I use wipes for computer monitors. After all, they are supposed to wipe things without leaving a residue. I would not advise acetone, because I have taken the color out of floor tiles with it. I clean other plastic things with alcohol, but not at pure strength because that is too tough a solvent for softer things like grips and stenciled markings. I use it at 70%.

-- hide signature --

"Boo hoo! If I don't like you I'm going to put you on my ignore list. I bet you'll be devastated"

hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,094

Do not use acetone. That stuff will remove paint and I don't even want to think what would happen to lens multicoating. I'm a bit disturbed on what could possibly be on your camera body that alcohol and a microfiber cloth can't remove.

As a last resort, you might try Gojo or similar hand cleaner/degreaser used by auto mechanics. Just put a dab on a clean cloth and keep it off the optics. I found it useful in removing built-up grime on my beloved 300 f/2.8.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
PhotOliver
PhotOliver Regular Member • Posts: 108
soft toothbrush

canonbcguy wrote:

your wife's toothbrush, lightly moistened in clean water and then a piece of microfiber cloth to wipe dry with.

(Acetone? Apage Satana!)

shauncwalsh Regular Member • Posts: 467

A bucket of warm soapy water and for stubborn marks on lenses one of those wire wool scouring pads, then dry in the oven at 220C for 4 hours.

whvick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,637

shauncwalsh wrote:

A bucket of warm soapy water and for stubborn marks on lenses one of those wire wool scouring pads, then dry in the oven at 220C for 4 hours.

LOL. There's one in every crowd!;-)

whvick's gear list:whvick's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +9 more
Pete Stavrakoglou Veteran Member • Posts: 8,321

I've always used a mix of 50% water and 50% rubbing alcohol and a  microfiber cloth.  Works for me.

-- hide signature --

My humble photo gallery: http://www.pete-the-greek.com

Pete Stavrakoglou's gear list:Pete Stavrakoglou's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Sigma SD1 Merrill Canon EOS R Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +18 more
fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,358

hotdog321 wrote:

Do not use acetone. That stuff will remove paint and I don't even want to think what would happen to lens multicoating. I'm a bit disturbed on what could possibly be on your camera body that alcohol and a microfiber cloth can't remove.

As a last resort, you might try Gojo or similar hand cleaner/degreaser used by auto mechanics. Just put a dab on a clean cloth and keep it off the optics. I found it useful in removing built-up grime on my beloved 300 f/2.8.

This degreaser is an interesting idea but I doubt I would do it. If it's not volatile enough to evaporate, someone was careless and it got through into the lens mechanics, then it could strip the lubrication on parts inside and require pricey maintenance. Another idea is lighter fluid which is good at removing sticky stuff and evaporates quickly. It's very flammable so be careful.

-- hide signature --

"Boo hoo! If I don't like you I'm going to put you on my ignore list. I bet you'll be devastated"

OP canonbcguy Contributing Member • Posts: 740
Thanks! - Re: Best way to clean camera bodies and lens barrels

I'm the OP.  Thanks for the replies, even the funny ones.

I've taken the advice here and used a 50/50 mix of water and 99% isopropyl alcohol and a clean microfibre cloth.   And all is well.  It does the job.

I should clarify what I wrote below.  I used nail polish remover, which I believe is mostly acetone.  And no, I didn't use it on the lens.

Part of the the trouble was that I actually didn't use a cloth, but rather used cotton balls.   (My memory is fading...)

So with the mix of alcohol and water with a large and *clean* cloth, the camera and the lens barrel came out perfect.

canonbcguy wrote:

My bodies get grimy and somewhat greasy over time. I've tried 99% isopropyl alcohol as well as acetone with microfibre cloths. This seems to clean it well (dissolve grease) at first, when the surface is wet, but when it dries, there is still a trace of greasiness.

canonbcguy's gear list:canonbcguy's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +38 more
Timm68000
Timm68000 New Member • Posts: 16

canonbcguy wrote:

My bodies get grimy and somewhat greasy over time. I've tried 99% isopropyl alcohol as well as acetone with microfibre cloths. This seems to clean it well (dissolve grease) at first, when the surface is wet, but when it dries, there is still a trace of greasiness.

For metal lens body like the Leica Summicron-R 50mm, you may want to check out this article:

https://lenspotion.com/blogs/news/how-to-clean-the-lens-body

It used a chopstick. Yes, the one used in having Asian meals.

Timm68000's gear list:Timm68000's gear list
Leica M8 Leica M-P (Typ 240)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads