Sony A6000 won't turn on

Started Feb 6, 2017 | Discussions
roopixie New Member • Posts: 4
Sony A6000 won't turn on

Ok I did a search but nothing is coming up. Bought an A6000 back in Sept (new) just for a travel camera. Didn't want to carry around my Nikon 610. Used it for 2 weeks in UK, then a couple of days over Christmas.... and other than batteries draining ridiculously fast it worked ok. Today pulled it out tried 5 different batteries in it... nothing.... tried plugging into AC adapter... nothing... tried recharging two new batteries... nothing, will not turn on... no lights, no error messages, nothing will engage nothing.... just dead... Googling pulls up a few others that have had this issue but no solution other than sending back to Sony... Anyone ....?

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
1sol3ss
1sol3ss Regular Member • Posts: 466
Re: Sony A6000 won't turn on

It should still be under warrantee!
Return it, nothing you can do I'm afraid.

OP roopixie New Member • Posts: 4

1sol3ss wrote:

Did that...... Does anyone know if it's going to happen again?  I'm extremely unimpressed with this camera so far.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 23,648

roopixie wrote:

1sol3ss wrote:

Did that...... Does anyone know if it's going to happen again? I'm extremely unimpressed with this camera so far.

Nobody knows if it will happen again 😉, can you be an bit more specific why you're unimpressed with the camera ?

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2* or Photo Mate r3
***Only a fool despises good counsel, but a wise man takes it to heart***
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

cxsparc
cxsparc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,431

Well, I have one more: Did you insert the battery in the right way? With the slots for the electrical contacts facing in the right direction? If you do it the wrong way, no power is available to the camera inspite of the battery being inserted and charged.

If you have a battery inserted and connect the camera to USB power, does the LED light up if camera is turned on/off?

-- hide signature --

German/English Nex/A6000-Blog: http://luxorphotoart.blogspot.de/

cxsparc's gear list:cxsparc's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more

cxsparc wrote:

Well, I have one more: Did you insert the battery in the right way? With the slots for the electrical contacts facing in the right direction? If you do it the wrong way, no power is available to the camera inspite of the battery being inserted and charged.

If you have a battery inserted and connect the camera to USB power, does the LED light up if camera is turned on/off?

Yeah.... I would like to think it was something that simple as the battery in the wrong way but yes the batteries were inserted the right way. 5 different ones to be exact. And no  nothing lit up with USB.  When I called Sony  they said to try holding the shutter button down for 30 secs that didn't work either so it's on it's back to Sony.  Thanks for taking the time to suggest it tho.

Marti58 wrote:

roopixie wrote:

1sol3ss wrote:

Did that...... Does anyone know if it's going to happen again? I'm extremely unimpressed with this camera so far.

Nobody knows if it will happen again 😉, can you be an bit more specific why you're unimpressed with the camera ?

You mean other than the fact it died in less than 5 months... lol I wanted to love this camera, I really did for its compact size alone and the promise of a large sensor. But the truth is it just doesn't compare with my nikon 610 at the same mp. Zoom in on the photos and the sharp resolution is not there. You can argue apples/oranges and fair enough... I don't think you can really compare a full sz lens quality with a much smaller version that fits the emount... but I was ready to overlook that and keep it as a travel camera to throw in a backpack when hiking, except for the fact it goes through batteries ridiculously fast. I've read that it continues to drain them when not in use and that could be part if not all of the reason they die and won't turn back on. (Don't hold me to this just a theory I've read) It also seems to be an issue with the A7 as well which to me is unacceptable with a camera at that (any) price point. If I'm going to invest the money I want it to be reliable and if the next time it dies out of warranty it won't be worth fixing. JMHO...

Scoooby New Member • Posts: 1

Having the same issue with my camera, are there any updates on the issue. Hoping there is a cheap fix.

Tim Crammond Contributing Member • Posts: 974

roopixie wrote:

Marti58 wrote:

roopixie wrote:

1sol3ss wrote:

You mean other than the fact it died in less than 5 months... lol I wanted to love this camera, I really did for its compact size alone and the promise of a large sensor. But the truth is it just doesn't compare with my nikon 610 at the same mp. Zoom in on the photos and the sharp resolution is not there.

Just out of curiosity, are you using it with the kit 16-50 OSS lens, because that thing is rubbish IMO on a camera with that good a sensor. Mine has either a sigma 30mm or 60mm f2.8 more or less permanently attached, and I actually switched back to the kit lens today to see if it was as mediocre as I remembered, and it was worse.

Otherwise, I hope your replacement behaves. Mine has had no issues. There are always a few lemons in any model I guess.  If this was a really common fault I can't imagine the a6*** line would have survived.

Tim

Tim Crammond's gear list:Tim Crammond's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony a7 III Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +29 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads