Coolpix A with wideangle WC-E68 and JJC-LH-CP18Adapter with pics

Started Jan 31, 2017 | Discussions
timatkins Regular Member • Posts: 153
Coolpix A with wideangle WC-E68 and JJC-LH-CP18Adapter with pics

Ok guys. As ive written before i just got the CPA, but I needed a wide angle converter for certain shots needed for my painting reference. Im not to fussed about super sharpness, just as long as I can use them too paint from. I looked in to options, the Ricoh converters but they would need different step up and down adapters, but this seemed the easier way to go.

After a few days of intensiv googling, I got myself a cheap Nikon WC-E68 from ebay, 70 usd and the third party lens hood that has the same thread size, for 30 usd, all in all 100.

Im on my phone so I can only upload 2 images now, from my messy studio. Right off the bat  i can  say that sharpness is not very good, and from initial tests  its best at 5.6 to 8.

Taken at f5, 1/2sec,iso100,tripod.  Adl auto. Iso nr turned of.

l Do a more thorough test tomorrow.

Www.timothyatkins.com

timatkins's gear list:timatkins's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A
basyl1891 Forum Member • Posts: 83
Re: Coolpix A with wideangle WC-E68 and JJC-LH-CP18Adapter with pics

timatkins wrote:

After a few days of intensiv googling, I got myself a cheap Nikon WC-E68 from ebay, 70 usd and the third party lens hood that has the same thread size, for 30 usd, all in all 100.

Im on my phone so I can only upload 2 images now, from my messy studio. Right off the bat i can say that sharpness is not very good, and from initial tests its best at 5.6 to 8

Well, yes, to get sharp edges on a landscape shot you definitely need to stop down to F8.

As to your indoor samples at F5, you can get sharper edges by focusing somewhat closer, probably at the middle of the scene.

basyl1891's gear list:basyl1891's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Samsung TL500 Olympus E-500 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC +7 more
OP timatkins Regular Member • Posts: 153

basyl1891 wrote:

timatkins wrote:

Im on my phone so I can only upload 2 images now, from my messy studio. Right off the bat i can say that sharpness is not very good, and from initial tests its best at 5.6 to 8

Well, yes, to get sharp edges on a landscape shot you definitely need to stop down to F8.

As to your indoor samples at F5, you can get sharper edges by focusing somewhat closer, probably at the middle of the scene.

Yes. Def f8 or there around.  I just used the autofokus on wide i believe. Any other tips to improve sharpness are welcome!

im happy with the fov  and that the quality  isnt worse. Im sure there is a lens profile that is applicable, maybe the ricoh? I will take it for a walk tomorrow.

Here are some f8, 1.6s,  iso 100, no adl.  I wonder  how well the raw files will do..

II have to say the screen is rather worthless. Im underexposing with about 5 stops it seems to get the balance i want...

-- hide signature --

Www.timothyatkins.com

Nikon Coolpix A
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,400
These look better.

It looks like your sharpness has improved.  I'm wondering though, how you've arrived at your exposure setting.  The EXIF info in your samples says you're at 2 EV, or twice the normal exposure.  I'm wondering how you're using the camera's exposure adjustments to make you believe you're underexposing by five stops.  Can you clarify? Your top button on the left of the LCD opens your exposure compensation menu, if you're using auto exposure.  However, if you're setting full manual, I wonder how you're going about the metering.  Are you at "M" on the top dial and using the camera's manual exposure scale?  Or are you using a separate handheld meter?

On the subject of depth of field, your maximum DOF comes from focusing 1/3 of the way in, not 1/2 as someone else posted.  DOF extends twice as far behind the focus point as in front of it.

Below is an outdoor sample from CPA + wc-e68. Installed on camera via the same JJC LH-CP18 adapter as yours. Shot at F8, RAW, processed in Lightroom.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Samsung TL500 Olympus E-500 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC +7 more
Re: These look better.

Lightpath48 wrote:

It looks like your sharpness has improved. I'm wondering though, how you've arrived at your exposure setting. The EXIF info in your samples says you're at 2 EV, or twice the normal exposure. I'm wondering how you're using the camera's exposure adjustments to make you believe you're underexposing by five stops. Can you clarify? Your top button on the left of the LCD opens your exposure compensation menu, if you're using auto exposure. However, if you're setting full manual, I wonder how you're going about the metering. Are you at "M" on the top dial and using the camera's manual exposure scale? Or are you using a separate handheld meter?

On the subject of depth of field, your maximum DOF comes from focusing 1/3 of the way in, not 1/2 as someone else posted. DOF extends twice as far behind the focus point as in front of it.

I use manual. (m)  thats the thing with the metering.  If I trust it, ie set my aperture/iso /shutter speedy until the metergauge is in the middle, then the camera will overexpose,  and when I review the pic will  be blown out. So I stopdown. Am i doing it wrong? Ill gladly be correct ed!

-- hide signature --

Www.timothyatkins.com

Nikon Coolpix A

Sorry,  its 1stop, not 5.

Im also trying  to figure out how to display the histogram and other info on playback. I found the setting area in the menu but even  when ive checked them it still wont show up when I review.

-- hide signature --

pa-bussen 
Www.timothyatkins.com

Nikon Coolpix A

basyl1891 wrote:

Below is an outdoor sample from CPA + wc-e68. Installed on camera via the same JJC LH-CP18 adapter as yours. Shot at F8, RAW, processed in Lightroom.

That looks great!  any other shooting tips with the setup? Noice reduktion. Adl ect?

-- hide signature --

Www.timothyatkins.com

Nikon Coolpix A

timatkins wrote:

That looks great! any other shooting tips with the setup? Noice reduktion. Adl ect?

My typical settings: Aperture priority mode, ADL auto, RAW+Jpeg, WB Auto, AF wide.

As to noise reduction it depends on scene, light, iso, etc. In this case sharpness and NR settings were left at default values. And don't forget to remove chromatic aberrations, in many RAW converters it can be done in a single click.

basyl1891 wrote:

timatkins wrote:

That looks great! any other shooting tips with the setup? Noice reduktion. Adl ect?

My typical settings: Aperture priority mode, ADL auto, RAW+Jpeg, WB Auto, AF wide.

As to noise reduction it depends on scene, light, iso, etc. In this case sharpness and NR settings were left at default values. And don't forget to remove chromatic aberrations, in many RAW converters it can be done in a single click.

Thanks, thats sounds about right! I figurer out the histogram as well, im stupid sometimes. Just press up or down in review mode.

-- hide signature --

by the way, my sharpness is set to +3.should it be.? 
Www.timothyatkins.com

Nikon Coolpix A
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,400

timatkins wrote:

Sorry, its 1stop, not 5.

Im also trying to figure out how to display the histogram and other info on playback. I found the setting area in the menu but even when ive checked them it still wont show up when I review.

When in view mode, click repeatedly on the upper button of the four-way control. It'll cycle through all of the readings whose boxes were checked. The histogram is in one of them. I think there are four different screens of info.

BTW, your samples indicate 2EV bias and that is 4 times the light, not 2X as I stated before my nap. Your camera is defaulted to two stops over. I'd click the +/- button on the upper left of your camera's back, and look along the bottom of the LCD to see whether you have exposure bias is set for two stops overexposure. You can correct it by turning the main control wheel on the top of the camera while pressing the +/- button, changing it back to the middle or zero. Then your manual overrides should be closer to what you intend.

blaster182
blaster182 Forum Member • Posts: 56

Thanks to your thread on using a wideangle adapter with the Coolpix A, my curiosity had been sparked I recently found a used WC-E68 in very good condition to mount on my original Nikon CPA lens adapter. I've taken some pictures, to be found in this album:

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4079102823/albums/coolpix-a

The pictures are taken from the same spot with the wide-angle converter on and off. You will notice that some shots are underexposed but I didn't want to modify the OOC JPEGS and have been to lazy to re-develop the RAWs either in the camera or in Lightroom The location is Nuremberg, Germany.

I should add some samples with objects in the foreground that show off the wide-angle character more for better comparison.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the converter, it's not something I would take along everyday. The corners are soft but that doesn't bother me too much. The converter is a nice accessory to a fantastic camera.

blaster182's gear list:blaster182's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX33 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
gabriel foto Forum Member • Posts: 83

blaster182 wrote:

Thanks to your thread on using a wideangle adapter with the Coolpix A, my curiosity had been sparked I recently found a used WC-E68 in very good condition to mount on my original Nikon CPA lens adapter. I've taken some pictures, to be found in this album:

The pictures are taken from the same spot with the wide-angle converter on and off. You will notice that some shots are underexposed but I didn't want to modify the OOC JPEGS and have been to lazy to re-develop the RAWs either in the camera or in Lightroom The location is Nuremberg, Germany.

I should add some samples with objects in the foreground that show off the wide-angle character more for better comparison.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the converter, it's not something I would take along everyday. The corners are soft but that doesn't bother me too much. The converter is a nice accessory to a fantastic camera.

Tim (OP), I looked at your pictures and Blaster, looked at your album, thanks for posting these! I think the images with the WC-E68 look fine, at least stopped down. I compared briefly to my own results which are more or less the same but I have got a few useful results at f/5,6.

But there may be a reason for differences:

I know from using the WC-E68 on other lenses that the mounting distance has a huge effect on sharpness and while I believe the OP is using the JJC, I use the Nikon UR-E24 adapter, and I think Blaster does too?

This adapter is 21,9 mm deep. I measured from the flat part which makes contact with the camera, not the attachment ring, to the outside threads at the front. The WC-E68 cannot screw down to the bottom of these threads but leaves a gap some 0,5 mm so the overall mounting distance would be approx 22,4 mm.

How deep is the JJC?

I also noted that the results seem to be better at short distance and there seems to be some curvature of field as well: When shooting inside a room the loss of sharpness in the corners (field curved towards you) fall more dramatically than when focusing on something in the centre of the image a couple of metres away, with a distant background (field curved away from you).

Would be interested in your findings!

Gabriel

gabriel foto's gear list:gabriel foto's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +18 more
blaster182

gabriel foto wrote:

blaster182 wrote:

Tim (OP), I looked at your pictures and Blaster, looked at your album, thanks for posting these! I think the images with the WC-E68 look fine, at least stopped down. I compared briefly to my own results which are more or less the same but I have got a few useful results at f/5,6.

But there may be a reason for differences:

I know from using the WC-E68 on other lenses that the mounting distance has a huge effect on sharpness and while I believe the OP is using the JJC, I use the Nikon UR-E24 adapter, and I think Blaster does too?

This adapter is 21,9 mm deep. I measured from the flat part which makes contact with the camera, not the attachment ring, to the outside threads at the front. The WC-E68 cannot screw down to the bottom of these threads but leaves a gap some 0,5 mm so the overall mounting distance would be approx 22,4 mm.

How deep is the JJC?

I also noted that the results seem to be better at short distance and there seems to be some curvature of field as well: When shooting inside a room the loss of sharpness in the corners (field curved towards you) fall more dramatically than when focusing on something in the centre of the image a couple of metres away, with a distant background (field curved away from you).

Would be interested in your findings!

Gabriel

Hello Gabriel, I'm using the Nikon UR-ES24 adapter as well. BR, Arndt

Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX33 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more

gabriel foto wrote:

How deep is the JJC?

I also have JJC version, it's 21.7mm deep (comparing to your 21.9). And there is also about the same gap between WC-E68 and adapter. Actually I've tested longer and shorter DIY adapters (stacked step rings) and I can tell you that your UR-E24 is probably optimal option for WC-E68.

Because JJC-0.5mm is much worse at the edges, and JJC+0.5mm is just slightly worse in the corners. So UR-E24 should be spot-on

gabriel foto Forum Member • Posts: 83

basyl1891 wrote:

gabriel foto wrote:

How deep is the JJC?

I also have JJC version, it's 21.7mm deep (comparing to your 21.9). And there is also about the same gap between WC-E68 and adapter. Actually I've tested longer and shorter DIY adapters (stacked step rings) and I can tell you that your UR-E24 is probably optimal option for WC-E68.

Because JJC-0.5mm is much worse at the edges, and JJC+0.5mm is just slightly worse in the corners. So UR-E24 should be spot-on

Excellent info, thanks, I think that settles it!
Will keep on shooting happily with this useful little 19 mm superwide!

By the way, I drilled a little hole in the lens cap and put a string through it, with a knot. Tied the string around the adapter. Would hate losing that cap.

Best, Gabriel

gabriel foto's gear list:gabriel foto's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +18 more

gabriel foto wrote:

By the way, I drilled a little hole in the lens cap and put a string through it, with a knot. Tied the string around the adapter. Would hate losing that cap.

Make sense, the front cap is totally non-standard and replacement is costly. Thanks for the idea, probably I'll do the same 

blaster182

basyl1891 wrote:

gabriel foto wrote:

Make sense, the front cap is totally non-standard and replacement is costly. Thanks for the idea, probably I'll do the same

+1 Thanks for sharing your smart idea!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads