BUY LOW COUNT D4 or D500

Started Jan 25, 2017 | Discussions
Mynkx Junior Member • Posts: 44
BUY LOW COUNT D4 or D500

Hey guys.   I sold off all my sony a mount gear.  Granted it wasn't a but o well.  I have the ability  to get a low count D4 20k on the shutter.   But then I see that the d500 is  now such an amazing camera.   What would be the best option?

I am buying the 70 to 200 2.8 for which ever.  I shoot flyback dog racing and some of the venue are like shoot hockey in hockey rinks.  The length if the crop is not really needed and a 70 200 is plenty just want a fast focus camera good in low light.

Thanks.

Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon D50 Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Mynkx Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: BUY LOW COUNT D4 or D500

Sorry the sport is Flyball dog racing.  I will also be shooting dressage horse shows this year as well as doing senior pictures  and a couple weddings

vbuhay
vbuhay Veteran Member • Posts: 4,071

Mynkx wrote:

Sorry the sport is Flyball dog racing. I will also be shooting dressage horse shows this year as well as doing senior pictures and a couple weddings

Depending with how close you can get to the action, you might want to consider the 200-500+ D500 or the tamron/sigma 150-600 + D500 for seniors and wedding I would go with the D4 or the D750 + 70-200...

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +32 more
Winslow H Regular Member • Posts: 452

If low light image quality is a priority get the D4.

Winslow H's gear list:Winslow H's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500
OP Mynkx Junior Member • Posts: 44

Most of the dog stuff I can practicality be in the ring. So 5ft. Lol.    So the only range I would née it covers mostly by 70 200 2.8.   Any out side of that I'll check out other but no need so far

Nikonsyncro Regular Member • Posts: 196

Image quality on full frame is just so much better. Regarding the AF i don't think there is much difference. Frames per second is better on the D4 and the vertical grip with trigger plus you get 4000 shots on a charge. To me it is a no brainer D4

pawel pawlak New Member • Posts: 24

Mynkx wrote:

The length if the crop is not really needed and a 70 200 is plenty just want a fast focus camera good in low light.

Thanks.

Nikon D4

-- hide signature --

My english is not so good, so please forgive me, if sometimes you didn't get a response from me
www.pawelpawlak.pl

pawel pawlak's gear list:pawel pawlak's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
leerob
leerob Senior Member • Posts: 2,367

Mynkx wrote:

Hey guys. I sold off all my sony a mount gear. Granted it wasn't a but o well. I have the ability to get a low count D4 20k on the shutter. But then I see that the d500 is now such an amazing camera. What would be the best option?

I am buying the 70 to 200 2.8 for which ever. I shoot flyback dog racing and some of the venue are like shoot hockey in hockey rinks. The length if the crop is not really needed and a 70 200 is plenty just want a fast focus camera good in low light.

Thanks.

D750

-- hide signature --

Adam Kielcz

leerob's gear list:leerob's gear list
Leica X Vario Leica C Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Leica C-Lux Nikon D7100 +4 more
Ferguson
Ferguson Senior Member • Posts: 1,756

I have the D4 and have a friend with the D500, so take this as a non-owner thought.

My impression is that they are going to be on par in terms of focus performance - newer AF system, less capable processor (than the D5). Frame rate is similar.

The biggest difference in my mind relates to the usage style. The D4 is built like a tank. It's seriously tough. There's movable LCD to break, the frame is real metal, the weather sealing is great (I had mine opened for an aperture replacement after about 2 years of FLorida rainstorms and it had zero signs of water intrusion (and I do not use rain gear).

The D500 is a nice, durable camera, but it is a different class all together. I have not heard or seen any of them break, but I would expect them to fail much more rapidly under heavy use, like daily sports shooting and being run over by players, hit by errant basketballs, jostling in crowds, standing in rain, etc.

The D500 is not fragile, it's just not the same tank-like construction.

The DX vs FX is harder. FX is great. It's hard to get really good super wide angle shots with a DX camera. But conversely and despite what you say, I think you'll find you can always back up or zoom out, but there are also always going to be situations where you really wanted to get closer than you can. I'd say if you don't have longer teles, go with the DX. 200mm is great, but not much if you ever do anything in an open field, or even an arena, and especially if you find yourself ever shooting from the viewing stands.

-- hide signature --

Comments welcomed on photos: http://www.captivephotons.com

Ferguson's gear list:Ferguson's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +2 more
overniteman
overniteman Senior Member • Posts: 1,175

It's a nice choice to  have. I'd go for the D4 with it's pro build.

Section10
Section10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,539

I considered many options, shot wildlife with the d800e, which didn't track as well as the D4 but shots were equal. Resolution doesn't equal IQ and it doesn't mean it's going to look as good when viewed at 100%. The D500 will look closer but to me never had the same quality of when cropping a full frame due to the pixel size. I'd rather use FF and TC 1.4 and lose a stop of light and slight IQ. It's more of an all around setup. But for AF alone, which is important the D500 will satisfy. Something to consider if you're doing BIF, it's not that easy too just get closer, tracking a bird any closer than one that fills half the frame requires a lot of talent to really track, that's something a camera can't help you with.  The use of resolution i've narrowed down to a single factor, print size. If you need a bigger print size the resolution will help compared to saving a D4 file larger. I compared a file size from my d800e and my D4 and the D4 actually looked better in most shots, the d800e just looked well...'bigger' and not by much. I didn't see as much advantage to cropping as I thought I would, so I went with a better looking file as well as the fact that a lot of wildlife photos uses a good high ISO,  more than you think. If you want to freeze the frame at 1/1250 + you can easily need ISO 4000+ when the lighting isn't full daytime. The D4 is simply going to look a lot better than a crop camera which just looks closer. The only way to more pixels on a good camera like this is the D5 and that's usually out of the question.

Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Nikon D4 Sony a9 Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +3 more
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,774

The D4 is a camera I'm keeping my eyes on for a future purchase.. recently, I've purchased an used D3s, after receiving it, sent it to Nikon Repairs for them to do a tune-up & cleaning and to check all functions, this process with shipping costed around $350..

My recommendation is to get the D4 now, and can always get the D500 down the road..

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
Photography is my hobby.
http://www.pbase.com/johnshenphotography

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Ricoh GR
Dbltfarmer
Dbltfarmer Contributing Member • Posts: 805

I had the same decision to make except mine was a D4S vs the D500.   I ended up choosing the D500 after doing a great deal of research and talking to a couple of photographers that were shooting D4S and were looking at D5's and D500.  One ended up with 2 D5's and the other with a D5 and a D500.

I shoot sports and wildlife mostly so the crop sensor was a bigger factor for me.  Also the weight was a big difference for me also.   The D4S is a pound heavier and after a long day carrying the camera I think is a big difference.

Other factors,

1.  Tilting screen  (makes shots in basketball, wildlife and macro easier)

2.  Built in wireless.  (turned out to be a non factor as the snapbridge sucks)

3.  Better video.

4.  Price (D4S was 3.5 grand  with 75k shutter count vs the 500 at 2 grand)

In the end, I am very happy with my purchase.   The D500 has turned out to be a great camera and I love the crop sensor.  Matched up with the 70-200 f2.8 it is a great combo.  For me the 10 FPS is plenty and the D500 has a huge buffer.

Couple of other things is the touch screen on the D500 which probably fits younger photographers and the XQD cards which download faster.

Probably won't go wrong with either camera.

Dbltfarmer's gear list:Dbltfarmer's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
jshen808

Dbltfarmer wrote:

I had the same decision to make except mine was a D4S vs the D500. I ended up choosing the D500 after doing a great deal of research and talking to a couple of photographers that were shooting D4S and were looking at D5's and D500. One ended up with 2 D5's and the other with a D5 and a D500.

I shoot sports and wildlife mostly so the crop sensor was a bigger factor for me. Also the weight was a big difference for me also. The D4S is a pound heavier and after a long day carrying the camera I think is a big difference.

Other factors,

1. Tilting screen (makes shots in basketball, wildlife and macro easier)

2. Built in wireless. (turned out to be a non factor as the snapbridge sucks)

3. Better video.

4. Price (D4S was 3.5 grand with 75k shutter count vs the 500 at 2 grand)

In the end, I am very happy with my purchase. The D500 has turned out to be a great camera and I love the crop sensor. Matched up with the 70-200 f2.8 it is a great combo. For me the 10 FPS is plenty and the D500 has a huge buffer.

Couple of other things is the touch screen on the D500 which probably fits younger photographers and the XQD cards which download faster.

Probably won't go wrong with either camera.

Thanks for commenting & sharing! ..I do like the D500 camera very much, and that's why I got two of them.. ..truthfully, the D4 is on my list of the next camera to get.. going through the "list" of things the OP wants to photograph, especially "portraits", the D4 (I feel) would work better..

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
Photography is my hobby.

Dbltfarmer
Dbltfarmer Contributing Member • Posts: 805

Sorry,  thought I was responding to the main post at the top.   I really want a D4S or a D5 but unfortunately this is just a little side business and farming aint paying enough for me to get either.   Besides I think I want a 500 Telephoto first!!

Dbltfarmer's gear list:Dbltfarmer's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
jshen808

Dbltfarmer wrote:

Sorry, thought I was responding to the main post at the top. I really want a D4S or a D5 but unfortunately this is just a little side business and farming aint paying enough for me to get either. Besides I think I want a 500 Telephoto first!!

You're doing great! ..the D500 is one heck of a camera!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
Photography is my hobby.

chipmaster
chipmaster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,180

Every camera is a compromise and this is an interesting tradeoff of the newest cheaper DX high end technology versus 4 year old best best pro sports/action camera money can buy.

I noodled very heavily the D500 as the CEO/CFO was noting the huge value of 2K and also reconsidered a D4 which can be had with reasonable shutter counts these days for 2K.

I find a extra stop more valuable than the fabled pixel density or reach / crop of DX.   Of course I don't every need more than 300 2.8 FX reach.

Sensor improvement has been minimal over the last four years so the D4 sensor still wipes the DX, full stop.  The D500 focus is amazing both in speed and coverage as is the JPG engine probably gives you close to 1/3 stop gap closure to FX D4 JPG.   D4 focus was no slouch just four years ago at Olympics and on NFL sidelines or whatever.    Doubt many of those lowlight action shooter traded their D4 for D500 ;-D

Oh, once you've really tasted a high end D* it is hard to downgrade your experience to a D*** unless weight / ergo and age are show stoppers

-- hide signature --

" Today's Pictures Are Tomorrow's Memories "

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D5 +16 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,889

vbuhay wrote:

Mynkx wrote:

Sorry the sport is Flyball dog racing. I will also be shooting dressage horse shows this year as well as doing senior pictures and a couple weddings

Depending with how close you can get to the action, you might want to consider the 200-500+ D500 or the tamron/sigma 150-600 + D500 for seniors and wedding I would go with the D4 or the D750 + 70-200...

I shot some images with a similar comparison the other day, older Nikon D3 versus a new APS camera, 20mp.  Despite the clear resolution advantage of the APS, the D3 shots just looked better, cleaner.  But this APS was a Pentax and did not have the D500 focusing system.

-- hide signature --

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting."
-Spock

Shaun432x Contributing Member • Posts: 599
D500 & D800... or D4S

I was in the same position as you and I bought a new D500. I already have a D800 and it is fabulous.

So I passed on the D4S.

I think that you could buy a new D500 and a mint condition used D800 for the same price as a mint condition used D4S.

You will have full frame and DX, speed and reach, two cameras to use at an event, less lens swapping, and both cameras use the same battery.

Wide angle, telephoto, portraits and sports... all covered.

Shaun432x's gear list:Shaun432x's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus E-M5 II Fujifilm X-T10 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T20 +45 more
hikerdoc Senior Member • Posts: 2,658

I have a D810 and D4. During the holiday special I picked up a D500 with the rebate and free stuff with the intention of selling the D4. I could not part with D4. I feel it is cleaner in lower light. The amount it can really demand as used was less than the value I still found in keeping it. Instead of selling the D4 I ordered the battery cover for the free D500 grip so I can use the D4 batteries in it.

Being a new stuff guy, if I had neither and had to pick just one I would probably get a new D500 over a used D4 with hope of adding the second body in future, ?D5, D5S, D8x0.

good luck , enjoy whatever you choose.

D

hikerdoc's gear list:hikerdoc's gear list
Apple iPhone 8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads