Lightroom Performance on Newest MacBook Pro

Started Jan 22, 2017 | Discussions
DanTravel Regular Member • Posts: 182
Lightroom Performance on Newest MacBook Pro

So, just got my brand new 15" MBP with top of the line specs.  This is coming from my old 2011 MBP in which I was finding Lightroom performance to be a struggle.

My old laptop didn't have a graphics card, and my new one has a decent one.  So, performance is better, but I'm still a little taken back by how often that "loading" indicator still comes up and the fact it stays on for a few seconds when loading each picture.

Corrections are fast and snippy, but changing between photos in Develop mode (slow), and in Library mode (slow, but not as slow as in Develop mode).

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing the big jump in performance as I would have expected.  There is no reason Lightroom can't make navigating their Lightroom libraries as seamless and as responsive as the Mac Photos app.  Disappointed in Lightroom's poor performance on the latest and greatest Spec'd out MBP.

That is all.

Tips?  Does anyone out there have solid performance from their Lightroom?

dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 2,407
Re: Lightroom Performance on Newest MacBook Pro

Tell us the exact specs, instead of saying top of the line. CPU, GPU, size of monitor in pixels, and all other relevant information.

Turn off the Graphics acceleration (Preferences->preformance tab->uncheck "Use Graphics processor")

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

dj_paige's gear list:dj_paige's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
OP DanTravel Regular Member • Posts: 182

dj_paige wrote:

Tell us the exact specs, instead of saying top of the line. CPU, GPU, size of monitor in pixels, and all other relevant information.

Turn off the Graphics acceleration (Preferences->preformance tab->uncheck "Use Graphics processor")

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

2880x1800

Does this help you?

I've tried it without graphics acceleration and it's a little slower, although barely noticeable.

I'm using the same Library ported from may old laptop, and have Quick Previews enabled as well, and I do have the previews file copies over correctly as well to my new laptop.

dj_paige

DanTravel wrote:

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB

2880x1800

Does this help you?

I've tried it without graphics acceleration and it's a little slower, although barely noticeable.

I'm using the same Library ported from may old laptop, and have Quick Previews enabled as well, and I do have the previews file copies over correctly as well to my new laptop.

I have heard several complaints like this about recent MacBook Pro computers, and to tell you the truth, your CPU may be near the top of the line for Macs, but it's just not near the top of the line CPUs that are available (although I don't know if any of them can be used in Mac computers). And CPU speed (or lack thereof), along with your 5K screen, is probably the cause of the slowdown, that the CPU just isn't fast enough to generate these previews for a 5K screen.

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

mjw3 Regular Member • Posts: 284

DanTravel wrote:

So, just got my brand new 15" MBP with top of the line specs. This is coming from my old 2011 MBP in which I was finding Lightroom performance to be a struggle.

My old laptop didn't have a graphics card, and my new one has a decent one. So, performance is better, but I'm still a little taken back by how often that "loading" indicator still comes up and the fact it stays on for a few seconds when loading each picture.

Corrections are fast and snippy, but changing between photos in Develop mode (slow), and in Library mode (slow, but not as slow as in Develop mode).

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing the big jump in performance as I would have expected. There is no reason Lightroom can't make navigating their Lightroom libraries as seamless and as responsive as the Mac Photos app. Disappointed in Lightroom's poor performance on the latest and greatest Spec'd out MBP.

That is all.

Tips? Does anyone out there have solid performance from their Lightroom?

You're not experiencing anything abnormal - It's not your computer. It's Lightroom, and the way it must process the files on the fly as you switch between modules and images.

IMO, the best way to get a smoother (more Mac-like) experience is to use smart previews instead of developing raw files directly. This is best done (and most beneficial) using a workflow that places the raw images on a separate external drive.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/lightroom-smart-previews.html

HTH

mjw3's gear list:mjw3's gear list
Fujifilm X-E4
OP DanTravel Regular Member • Posts: 182

dj_paige wrote:

DanTravel wrote:

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB

2880x1800

Does this help you?

I have heard several complaints like this about recent MacBook Pro computers, and to tell you the truth, your CPU may be near the top of the line for Macs, but it's just not near the top of the line CPUs that are available (although I don't know if any of them can be used in Mac computers). And CPU speed (or lack thereof), along with your 5K screen, is probably the cause of the slowdown, that the CPU just isn't fast enough to generate these previews for a 5K screen.

It's not a 5k screen though.  A normal retina that's been in many MacBook's since 2012.

Disappointed, because there just isn't a big increase in performance.  I'll have to keep using it for a while to see if it's worth it to even keep this new MBP, or return it and continue to use my old one until something comes along that allows me to work quite rapidly within Lightroom.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 13,189

mjw3 wrote:

DanTravel wrote:

So, just got my brand new 15" MBP with top of the line specs. This is coming from my old 2011 MBP in which I was finding Lightroom performance to be a struggle.

My old laptop didn't have a graphics card, and my new one has a decent one. So, performance is better, but I'm still a little taken back by how often that "loading" indicator still comes up and the fact it stays on for a few seconds when loading each picture.

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing the big jump in performance as I would have expected. There is no reason Lightroom can't make navigating their Lightroom libraries as seamless and as responsive as the Mac Photos app. Disappointed in Lightroom's poor performance on the latest and greatest Spec'd out MBP.

That is all.

You're not experiencing anything abnormal - It's not your computer. It's Lightroom, and the way it must process the files on the fly as you switch between modules and images.

I agree! And like the OP, I have a new, top of the line MBP. LR is kind of a dog! Always has been in some areas. Like scrolling in Grid; the older iPhoto and many other app's blow it away. The Adobe team is aware of this and have promised to work in increasing the performance, specifically through the GPU. But there are other products that are massively faster and some tasks than LR (for example, in terms of just viewing the raws, check out FastRawViewer!

IMO, the best way to get a smoother (more Mac-like) experience is to use smart previews instead of developing raw files directly. This is best done (and most beneficial) using a workflow that places the raw images on a separate external drive.

I agree too. All my images get converted to DNG and I build Smart Reviews but still, LR while a great product, is not anything close to best in class in terms of speed for, well virtually any task. Hopefully this will change in the future.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Rodney
Author: Color Management for Photographers
The Digital Dog
http://www.digitaldog.net

Mark K W Senior Member • Posts: 1,751

DanTravel wrote:

That is all.

Running an 15" rMBP here. Max'ed but not latest.

Mid-2015 model (2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB). Dual monitor (so rMBP native, scaled OS X UI onto 2880x1800) with external 2560x1600 display (dual-link DVI-D). Apple suppiled 500GB PCI SSD.

El Capitan OS X 10.11.6. LR CC 2015.8

Source images on a GigE NAS (so Thunderbolt to CAT6 wired connection and on via NetGear 16-way switch to the GigE NAS). Don't use jumbo frames.

Each raw is c. 24MB (Sony compressed raw). Regular 24MP single-layer PSD 148MB, but my average PSD is prob 1.4GB or something like that. My PSDs are saved with compression on.

rMBP native display is used as main LR window, with secondary display set typically in Loupe mode. In this config that means the secondary window is for inspection only.

GPU is on in LR, with regular previews (i.e. not smart), preview size 2880px, discard 1:1 after 30days. Raw cache is set to 30GB.

I do not delete out the previews folder. I have ~180k images in the .lrcat (single catalog file for all my images) which is 2.7GB in size and on the SSD, and then previews .lrdata (therefore also on the SSD) is 185GB. I don't really use keywording, but do shift pretty-much all Develop sliders. I don't use XMP sidecars. I optimise and backup the catalog weekly.

Stepping from raw image to raw image in Develop takes c. 2 seconds to progress spinner stop (which means image loaded from the NAS). The previews are on the SSD and are there instantaneously on both displays, so I can start a Develop adjust (i.e. after the sliders ungrey) in <1 second. No matter how hard I try I just can't get my mouse onto the Develop sliders that fast though. If I try my best and (e.g.) click the clairty from 0 to 100, the change on the rMBP display is instant, and the secondary after 1 second.

Jumping around in Library is instant.

I also need to look at my images before I adjust them ( ) so 1 second delay after picking an image in the filmstrip to load to being adjustable in Develop is seriously faster than I can meaningfully work on them! (If I put the images on the SSD, then they are loaded in Develop fully ready for edit in <1 second).

The time in regular PP work when LR is slow (i.e. I am really waiting for it) is hauling in a 2GB psd over the GigE. That could be 3secs then for an image not visited recently (i.e. outside of the 30days) to Develop sliders ungrey on the rMBP main display, and perhaps 5seconds to progress spinner stop for the secondary.

Importing and building previews is the time when LR really is a pain. I import off the NAS and I simply go away and leave LR for what can be 10s of minutes to do the preview building (that can be if it's loading up over 1000 raws after a heavy day's shooting). I always wait until the Import and Preview progress bars are done before doing my first Develop adjustment. If I try to work in Develop whilst Previews are building in the background, then it is indeed unacceptably slow.

What resolution (MP) are your images? What size is the typical file (MB)? What media are they stored on and on what kind of interface?

What have you got your raw cache set to?

What size previews do you build?

I think you confirmed it already but I presume you did do a TM migration or something similar to make sure you set up your new machine with an .lrcat in sync with the .lrdata. If not LR could be still making previews in the background (and there won't be a progress bar for that as it is not Import previews; it is LR sorting each folder out as you navigate into it).

-- hide signature --
PerTulip Senior Member • Posts: 1,304

Performance-wise, Lightroom is a piece of junk. For the initial sorting, culling, adding meta-data, rating, etc. I now use PhotoMechanic and it's like moving from a 10 year old computer to a new one. Redefines "snappy". After doing all those tasks I import the RAWs with the XMP files PhotoMechanic created and then I develop/process.

PerTulip's gear list:PerTulip's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +5 more
Lauri Veerde New Member • Posts: 1

As I have experienced - it does not really matter how good your hardware is - Lightroom is still running slow!

My Lightroom CC runs in Windows tower. i7-6800K @3.40 GHZ + GeForce GTX1080 8GB + Samsung 950 PRO SSD. Still lags - can not quickly scroll through the images without having generated the smart previews. So it is not your computer. It is not wise to judge the computer by how fast it runs Lightroom.

Adobe itself has now admitted, that they have Lightroom-slowness problems. And they also promised to take care of it. Let`s hope our computers will get faster over time

-- hide signature --

"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Mike Engles Contributing Member • Posts: 828

Hello

Are you using it plugged into the power supply? If not it is possible that the CPU power saving is having an effect. Are there fans in the computer? The CPU also protects itself from over heating. Have you access to a similar specced desktop in order to compare performance?

MDE

Mike Engles Contributing Member • Posts: 828

Hello

I have a 2010  homebuilt desktop Quad i7 2.93 ghz 16gb ram and a very basic GPU in Windows 7. I don't use the GPU in Lightroom. My previews are 1680 and it takes between 1 and 3 secs for a Canon 5D3 image to load in Develop.  It seems to make very little difference if I load a old 5D image or one from a 5D3, the delays come from how fast i move from image to image. Otherwise the computer is pretty responsive, but the CPU fan is pretty busy when I do a lot of cloning or local adjustment. Previews and catalogue on a SSD, CR2s on rotary drives in the computer.

I don't earn my living using Lightroom and really have very little to complain about its performance. I have just tried out CI, DXO 11 and ACDsee 10 and really as far as I am concerned, Lightroom is no better or worse overall. Price wise it is very good, except I object to the subscription

MDE

Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 1,493

DanTravel wrote:

That is all.

See this post from Adobe regarding the plan to increase LR performance.

https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/07/on-lightroom-performance.html

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken
FAA Remote Pilot Certificate, ATP ASMEL
Mizzou PJ '66

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Kristada673
Kristada673 Forum Member • Posts: 96

DanTravel wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

DanTravel wrote:

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB

2880x1800

Does this help you?

It's not a 5k screen though. A normal retina that's been in many MacBook's since 2012.

Disappointed, because there just isn't a big increase in performance. I'll have to keep using it for a while to see if it's worth it to even keep this new MBP, or return it and continue to use my old one until something comes along that allows me to work quite rapidly within Lightroom.

It is not the laptop's fault, it is Lightroom's fault. I hope you read up a bit on how crappy its multicore optimisation and GPU acceleration is? In Lightroom, from what I gathered through my online research, the most important factors are single core clock speed, RAM and SSD. Quad core won't give more performance than a dual core (equally clocked); a dedicated GPU won't give much performance boost either as Lightroom only uses GPU in develop mode, not in exports. So, the wiser decision would be to ditch Lightroom instead of ditching the MacBook Pro - you'll find these same issue on Lightroom with pretty much any computer money can buy, at least until Adobe decides to build it from ground up with multicore optimisation and system-wide GPU acceleration, which it has little incentive to do due to very low competition.

-- hide signature --

Happy shooting

Kristada673's gear list:Kristada673's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
PerTulip Senior Member • Posts: 1,304

Kristada673 wrote:

...It is not the laptop's fault, it is Lightroom's fault. I hope you read up a bit on how crappy its multicore optimisation and GPU acceleration is? In Lightroom, from what I gathered through my online research, the most important factors are single core clock speed, RAM and SSD. Quad core won't give more performance than a dual core (equally clocked); a dedicated GPU won't give much performance boost either as Lightroom only uses GPU in develop mode, not in exports. So, the wiser decision would be to ditch Lightroom instead of ditching the MacBook Pro - you'll find these same issue on Lightroom with pretty much any computer money can buy, at least until Adobe decides to build it from ground up with multicore optimisation and system-wide GPU acceleration, which it has little incentive to do due to very low competition.

I have a maxed out MBP and Lightroom is just a snail. That's why I use PhotoMechanic for initial import, culling, sorting, keywording, rating, etc. It's a cheetah compared to the snail.

Just a quick Google search: https://fstoppers.com/lightroom/adobe-looks-improve-lightrooms-abysmal-performance-version-201512-187908

"...Does this update solve the Lightroom performance woes? Unfortunately not."

Adobe really needs to rewrite several portions of LR. My own personal gripe is with the library module. I often have several thousand photos from travels (my DSLR, girlfriends DSLR, both iPhones) and just going through them is a pain in LR. Noticeable delay when going from one photo to the next. That's why I switched to PhotoMechanic for that task and only use LR to develop the keepers.

PerTulip's gear list:PerTulip's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +5 more
Johanfoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,877

PerTulip wrote:

Kristada673 wrote:

...It is not the laptop's fault, it is Lightroom's fault. I hope you read up a bit on how crappy its multicore optimisation and GPU acceleration is? In Lightroom, from what I gathered through my online research, the most important factors are single core clock speed, RAM and SSD. Quad core won't give more performance than a dual core (equally clocked); a dedicated GPU won't give much performance boost either as Lightroom only uses GPU in develop mode, not in exports. So, the wiser decision would be to ditch Lightroom instead of ditching the MacBook Pro - you'll find these same issue on Lightroom with pretty much any computer money can buy, at least until Adobe decides to build it from ground up with multicore optimisation and system-wide GPU acceleration, which it has little incentive to do due to very low competition.

I have a maxed out MBP and Lightroom is just a snail. That's why I use PhotoMechanic for initial import, culling, sorting, keywording, rating, etc. It's a cheetah compared to the snail.

Just a quick Google search: https://fstoppers.com/lightroom/adobe-looks-improve-lightrooms-abysmal-performance-version-201512-187908

"...Does this update solve the Lightroom performance woes? Unfortunately not."

That is a pretty stupid article. Adobe never said that the 2015.12 point upgrade would be a major speed improvement. They just started that survey about what people thought were the most urgent issues, so does fstoppers honestly think that Adobe could come up with all the answers to those complaints in just one or two weeks? I'd guess it will take just a tiny little bit more time than that...

-- hide signature --
V2photo New Member • Posts: 6

To the OP:

Unfortunately, as others have said, LR is an unoptimized dog for performance in many ways. However, trying to make the best of it...

I know you mentioned that you migrated your catalog over to the new computer with previews, but are you sure you’ve got 1:1 previews generated? Try one folder of images within your catalog, and manually build 1:1 previews for those images - then see what the speed is of going through them in the Develop/Library module. I’m on a much older Macbook Pro (2011) - and it is a 3-6 second delay when switching between raw images loading fully in Develop mode if I don’t have 1:1 previews built for them.

That being said, when 1:1 previews are built - there is almost no delay. This is one of the main ways you can speed up LR... make sure 1:1 previews are always built. Keep in mind as soon as you’ve made ANY changes to a photo in the Develop module, a preview will need to be built again to load quickly/almost instantaneously. I usually am going through about a gallery of 900 new images at a time after shoots; I always do a few basic adjustments first (that I expect to do to most of my raw imports, such as the Adobe Camera profile change, adding a little bit of clarity and vibrance, etc. - then sync all photos in that folder with those changes - THEN build 1:1 previews. It gets all images closer to final processing (and for some, is all I will ever need) - then I do my selections, edits on only the needed selections, and typically rebuild 1:1 previews one more time for a final review before exporting. 
Generating 1:1 previews is definitely the most annoying part of everything - and for me, where LR is the worst and suffers most from not utilizing multiple cores or hyperthreading. It should be much, much faster. Adobe apparently can’t be bothered to rewrite code that would make it a better product. 
And... seeing as LR and Photoshop usage are the only ‘power-use’ apps I use frequently, it’s really, really  hard to justify upgrading to a newer MBP for me (like you, I’m sure). I’ve got dual SSDs (which, obviously is slower than SSDs in modern Macs - but this doesn’t affect performance in LR much at all), and 16gb of slower-clocked RAM - and the (for a 2011) top-specced i7 2.3ghz quad core, and high-res display (before there were retinas). The new MBPs are faster, to be sure - but just not $3,000 worth and 6 years of advancements in technology (or what I think it should be like) faster. That is really, really a bummer. And unfortunately, for my uses, that’s a LR failing - not just the hardware. Until this machine truly kicks the bucket... I’m really paying $3000 to save myself about 10-15 mins when building previewsfor the most part (I don’t even really benefit from a retina screen upgrade as I’m plugged into an iMac in TDM 90% of the time). That’s not much of an incentive.

V2photo New Member • Posts: 6

DanTravel wrote:

That is all.

And by the way... I would LOVE YOU FOREVER if you would post a benchmark comparison of how long it takes to import and build 1:1 previews from RAW files for the same set of, say, 300 images. (Along with the specs for both your 2011 and 2017 MBPs). If you have had the 15” versions on both - and especially if you upgraded your older 2011 with SSDs and 16gb of RAM, this is the comparison I’ve been waiting for... and cannot find anywhere online. It’s always someone with a 13” 2011 MBP or without an upgraded SDD or RAM - so it’s not really a good comparison on what I’m running now. 
I’m still amazed that on a 2011 machine (which, as I said, I’ve upgraded) - the gap is not as wide as you’d think in performance (maybe a 30% improvement in LR, I’m guessing - but after SIX YEARS. Would love to hear your thoughts after having gotten used to this upgrade.

drumboy74 New Member • Posts: 2

I'm currently in a similar position as the OP. I have a 2011 MBP, which is on it's last legs. Apologies for jumping in on this thread.

90% of what I use my machine for is processing images in LR. Loaded from my camera via USB, to an external drive (either hooked up directly, or over wifi depending on how many images). Loading images can be painfully slow for large volumes - but the actual processing within LR, isn't that bad (I import as DNG - and manage from there).

I was leaning towards the 15‑inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and Touch ID, 3.1GHz quad-core 7G Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory 512GB SSD storage, Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB memory - but it's not cheap, at £2,715.

Does the touch bar provide any meaningful interface for editing within LR (I'm by no means a professional photographer - just an enthusiastic amateur, taking my first few paid jobs).

Reading most of the above, I'm thinking that performance improvements may be marginal, and I'm now wondering whether I' be better saving myself a few quid, and looking at a 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro - 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of 1600MHz memory 256GB SSD - for £2040.
Would I benefit greatly from the increased performance, improved graphics, and touch bar? - or go for the older, cheaper model, and hang on to a few pounds.
Again, apologies for jumping in on this thread - Any advice would be greatly received.

dj_paige

drumboy74 wrote:

I'm currently in a similar position as the OP. I have a 2011 MBP, which is on it's last legs. Apologies for jumping in on this thread.

90% of what I use my machine for is processing images in LR. Loaded from my camera via USB, to an external drive (either hooked up directly, or over wifi depending on how many images). Loading images can be painfully slow for large volumes - but the actual processing within LR, isn't that bad (I import as DNG - and manage from there).

I was leaning towards the 15‑inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and Touch ID, 3.1GHz quad-core 7G Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory 512GB SSD storage, Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB memory - but it's not cheap, at £2,715.

Does the touch bar provide any meaningful interface for editing within LR (I'm by no means a professional photographer - just an enthusiastic amateur, taking my first few paid jobs).

Reading most of the above, I'm thinking that performance improvements may be marginal, and I'm now wondering whether I' be better saving myself a few quid, and looking at a 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro - 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of 1600MHz memory 256GB SSD - for £2040.
Would I benefit greatly from the increased performance, improved graphics, and touch bar? - or go for the older, cheaper model, and hang on to a few pounds.
Again, apologies for jumping in on this thread - Any advice would be greatly received.

I haven't done any scientific testing, just reading in many forums, and it seems to me that one thing that is correlated with slow performance is a 4K or 5K monitor.

But anyway, it seems like to get the best performance out of LR, you want the fastest CPU you can afford, 8GB of memory or more, and YES I'M GOING TO SAY IT a 1080p monitor and not a 4K or 5K monitor.

The TouchBar is irrelevant here.

But, there's no guarantees either. I'm sure some people are running LR with huge monitors and are having no problems, they just don't show up in forums to complain about how slow LR is.

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads