Samsung ST30

Started Jan 19, 2017 | User reviews
Mark Blauhoefer
Mark Blauhoefer Senior Member • Posts: 1,226
Samsung ST30

This is a fun little camera. Handy due to minimal weight and size, so always in a shirt pocket. Even a light shirt, and even if I'm carrying a better camera. But when I'm not carrying a better camera, this still does the job.

Those times when you don't feel like carrying a camera or a phone at all you still have a camera. Is it as good as modern phone? Not really, but it is smaller and cheaper.

It's for walking to the shop, or along the beach, or through the park, family pictures, candid pictures, street pictures, even landscape pictures, just for the handiness of it,

The 3x optical zoom allows for a bit of framing, and goes out as far as a classic portrait lens (85mm), if you do try to take it seriously.

Controls are minimal, with an 'autofocus' and a macro - and the usual 13 scene settings, or 'scene auto' which automatically chooses the most appropriate. The Auto has center and multi. There is a program mode if you desire to use it.

Some filtering is possible via a colour adjuster with three sliders to fine tune - or go wild. Same again for sharpness, contrast, saturation.

It's quick to start, and to focus - which is great - from pocket to first shot in a second. It also has a continuous and a limited multi burst which I rarely use. Nice to know it's there though.

There are bad points - the LCD is small, and has quite awful resolution - but it's just a guide, and the photos are better than it would indicate. It also has an 'ISO boost VR' which works, but isn't what you might want. If not turn it off, and you can use the self-timer while it's resting on a fencepost, or decide your own ISO.

Battery life is good. It holds a charge for months, but how many shots I can't be sure of because it charges via usb when you upload the photos. Cheap enough to get a spare if that worries you. It doesn't worry me and I don't have one. More than a hundred shots though.

The price was also a bargain. I got mine for pocket change.

There's a rudimentary 640x480 video if you ever need it.

Again though, a bit larger, a bit heavier, and and a bit more coin will easily get you a whole lot more camera, sensor and megapixels, but will it be this pocketable, immediate, handy and fun?

-- hide signature --

Painting with light

Mark Blauhoefer's gear list:Mark Blauhoefer's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S8000 Samsung ST30 Canon EOS M3 Nikon D850
Samsung ST30
10 megapixels
Announced: Jan 19, 2011
Mark Blauhoefer's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
mediocre
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
okay
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Samsung ST30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kisaha Senior Member • Posts: 2,277
Re: Samsung ST30

Mark Blauhoefer wrote:

This is a fun little camera. Handy due to minimal weight and size, so always in a shirt pocket. Even a light shirt, and even if I'm carrying a better camera. But when I'm not carrying a better camera, this still does the job.

Those times when you don't feel like carrying a camera or a phone at all you still have a camera. Is it as good as modern phone? Not really, but it is smaller and cheaper.

It's for walking to the shop, or along the beach, or through the park, family pictures, candid pictures, street pictures, even landscape pictures, just for the handiness of it,

The 3x optical zoom allows for a bit of framing, and goes out as far as a classic portrait lens (85mm), if you do try to take it seriously.

Controls are minimal, with an 'autofocus' and a macro - and the usual 13 scene settings, or 'scene auto' which automatically chooses the most appropriate. The Auto has center and multi. There is a program mode if you desire to use it.

Some filtering is possible via a colour adjuster with three sliders to fine tune - or go wild. Same again for sharpness, contrast, saturation.

It's quick to start, and to focus - which is great - from pocket to first shot in a second. It also has a continuous and a limited multi burst which I rarely use. Nice to know it's there though.

There are bad points - the LCD is small, and has quite awful resolution - but it's just a guide, and the photos are better than it would indicate. It also has an 'ISO boost VR' which works, but isn't what you might want. If not turn it off, and you can use the self-timer while it's resting on a fencepost, or decide your own ISO.

Battery life is good. It holds a charge for months, but how many shots I can't be sure of because it charges via usb when you upload the photos. Cheap enough to get a spare if that worries you. It doesn't worry me and I don't have one. More than a hundred shots though.

The price was also a bargain. I got mine for pocket change.

There's a rudimentary 640x480 video if you ever need it.

Again though, a bit larger, a bit heavier, and and a bit more coin will easily get you a whole lot more camera, sensor and megapixels, but will it be this pocketable, immediate, handy and fun?

I am not familiar with the camera, but this is a very good review. True and fair. Happy photo-taking!

DHOC_TAZH
DHOC_TAZH Junior Member • Posts: 41

I got one of these from a relative who's since passed on. Had fun with it a few days ago, and this was one of my favorite takes, on the way to Chinatown in NYC!

behind the scenes - model shooting session I stumbled onto

DHOC_TAZH's gear list:DHOC_TAZH's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-x Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony a6300 +24 more
TuVuVu
TuVuVu Regular Member • Posts: 336

Thank your for your recommendation. My wife and I need a good point-n-shoot (Traveling to Ireland with her iPhone-6) and I'm evaluating the ST30 and the EX2F (refer to Skyler King's thread https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/6301896) My wife just requires 'Auto" mode, I require all features. The down side of both Samsung offerings: no EVF.

https://www.photographyblog.com/news/samsung_st30

https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samsung_ex2f_review/specifications

Very Best Regards,
Tu Vu

-- hide signature --

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." -Albert Einstein

TuVuVu's gear list:TuVuVu's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +18 more
otto k Senior Member • Posts: 2,190

Between these two EX2F no doubt. Better and larger sensor, better and faster lens, articulated screen, wifi, 1080p vs 480p video, etc.

otto k's gear list:otto k's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +6 more
TuVuVu
TuVuVu Regular Member • Posts: 336

otto k wrote:

Between these two EX2F no doubt. Better and larger sensor, better and faster lens, articulated screen, wifi, 1080p vs 480p video, etc.

Thank you All,

Camera way more for the wife and she's greatat composition but no interest learning technical side; photography literacy, iPhone 6 default settings

Advantage of ST30 size/weight for pocket but she always carry's her purse.

Will buy EX2F, teach her to set, "Auto Everything Mode", then she's off to Ireland family reunion.
Upon return, I'll have superior EX2F; a much closer fit to the NX1/NX500 family which makes sense (compared to ST30)

Best Regards,
Tu Vu
--
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so." -Mark Twain

TuVuVu's gear list:TuVuVu's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +18 more
Dr Crusher New Member • Posts: 10

Great review of this useful little camera.  There are times when I just don't want to carry my camera gear, and I often don't carry my cell phone; yet, I feel naked without a camera when if leave the house.  I always carry this little gem in my pocket whenever I leave the house.  Keys, Samsung ST30, and cigars all sit together on the counter, and all leave with me whenever I go anywhere.  
Ultra-convenient? Yes! Perfect camera? Not by a long shot!  Yet, perfect for me considering the compactness, and ease of use.

Dr Crusher's gear list:Dr Crusher's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D7100 +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads