Importing new set of photos. Lightroom says some are duplicates. They are not.

Started Jan 17, 2017 | Discussions
DanTravel Regular Member • Posts: 182
Importing new set of photos. Lightroom says some are duplicates. They are not.

I keep randomly running into this issue.

I went out for 3 weeks taking photos without any use or access to my laptop at all.

After I cam back, popped in the SD card, and prepared to import when, as I scrolled through the items select, there were many scattered in the list, randomly, that were not selected in which LR said "Already Imported".

I don't see any way to work around this.  I've noticed this in the past, but it had gone away.

These files are brand new and have never been anywhere close to my PC.  File names are sequential, so they should never have existed in my library anywhere (however, I am sure lightroom must match duplicates on more than the file name alone... i hope anyway).

What can I do other than living without these files?  I have about 4,000 to import, I also don't want to go through each icon in the import screen, tooth and nail, keeping track of the ones lightroom refuses to import.

Using latest version of Lightroom CC

dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 1,252
Re: Importing new set of photos. Lightroom says some are duplicates. They are not.

On the right hand side of the Import dialog box is a checkbox that says "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates", uncheck the box.

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

OP DanTravel Regular Member • Posts: 182
Re: Importing new set of photos. Lightroom says some are duplicates. They are not.

dj_paige wrote:

On the right hand side of the Import dialog box is a checkbox that says "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates", uncheck the box.

On the old interface yes.  I could not find this in Lightroom's new import window...

dj_paige

DanTravel wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

On the old interface yes. I could not find this in Lightroom's new import window...

Make sure you have the most recent version of Lightroom installed, which is version 6.8/CC 2015.8. Go to http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/keeping-lightroom-up-to-date.html

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 13,089

DanTravel wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

On the old interface yes. I could not find this in Lightroom's new import window...

Open up the File Handling panel and it is one of the options.  You can see it in the image below.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more

Sailor Blue wrote:

DanTravel wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

Open up the File Handling panel and it is one of the options. You can see it in the image below.

Thanks.

Instead I was able to work around the problem.  It looks like a bug in Lightroom.  If I change the drop down menu at the bottom from "All Photos" to "New Photos" and then back to "All Photos", all of the images are now selected as expected.  Weird,

Old Pirate Senior Member • Posts: 1,451

Are you resetting your file names each time or occasionally?  In other words, starting a sequence of numbers over again?

I'm pretty sure Lightroom identifies by number and if you are resetting the numbers in your camera then down the road a new photograph is going to be assigned a file number that you've used before and the system will see it as a duplicate.  I've had problems with that using two cameras by the same manufacturer using default nomenclature.

Old Pirate's gear list:Old Pirate's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +7 more
dj_paige

Old Pirate wrote:

Are you resetting your file names each time or occasionally? In other words, starting a sequence of numbers over again?

I'm pretty sure Lightroom identifies by number and if you are resetting the numbers in your camera then down the road a new photograph is going to be assigned a file number that you've used before and the system will see it as a duplicate. I've had problems with that using two cameras by the same manufacturer using default nomenclature.

This is not correct. Lightroom tries to identify duplicates by comparing the original file name, file size and capture time. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/photo-video-import-options.html

So, if your camera takes photo DSC_0001.jpg and a few years later, you have taken 10,000 images and you are back to DSC_0001.jpg, it would not be treated as a duplicate. Your two-camera example should not produce duplicates according to the above definition, and it does not produce duplicates for most users.

However, some people have reported bugs in this function. It happened to me in fact, but then it went away by itself shortly thereafter, I don't know why. I believe the OP has encountered this bug.

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

dj_paige wrote:

Old Pirate wrote:

Are you resetting your file names each time or occasionally? In other words, starting a sequence of numbers over again?

I'm pretty sure Lightroom identifies by number and if you are resetting the numbers in your camera then down the road a new photograph is going to be assigned a file number that you've used before and the system will see it as a duplicate. I've had problems with that using two cameras by the same manufacturer using default nomenclature.

This is not correct. Lightroom tries to identify duplicates by comparing the original file name, file size and capture time. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/photo-video-import-options.html

So, if your camera takes photo DSC_0001.jpg and a few years later, you have taken 10,000 images and you are back to DSC_0001.jpg, it would not be treated as a duplicate. Your two-camera example should not produce duplicates according to the above definition, and it does not produce duplicates for most users.

However, some people have reported bugs in this function. It happened to me in fact, but then it went away by itself shortly thereafter, I don't know why. I believe the OP has encountered this bug.

Yep.  These are also new files which do not currently exist in the existing library even by name.

I did find a workaround for this bug, in my situation, which I posted on another reply.

-Dan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads