M5 does not love Sigma 17-50 2.8

Started Jan 17, 2017 | Discussions
amenamen New Member • Posts: 5
M5 does not love Sigma 17-50 2.8

Hi All,

I have a brand new eos m5. Thru the adapter I have Sigma 17-50 2.8 connected. If its OIS is ON during powering down the camera: the camera freezes for ~2min with black screen (but backlighted). Totally non responsive. To regain responsiveness I can do one of: wait the lag reseat the battery disconnect lens or its adapter. The quiet OIS of the lens is hearable during the lag.

Canon's support blames Sigma. The lens is working fine on my old 550d.

Anybody has EOS M5 and Sigma 17-50 2.8 (or different) combo with similar problem ?

amenamen's gear list:amenamen's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,725
Sigma lens does poorly with any EOS-M1/M2/M3/ or M5

If you read this forum long enough, you're noticed the plethora of Sigma lens compatibility complain.  Sigma 'reverse-engineered' its canon compatibility, which works great on older Canon DSLR.  But Canon seem to have alter their code in such a way that many canon T6i/T6s owner also report compatibility problem with earlier Sigma lens.

There is no one to blame:

• Canon is within its right (refuse to share) its mounting information
  • Canon camera are design to work with Canon lens "only", Sigma & Tamron compatibility is not Canon's responsibility
  • Sigma is within its own right to 'reverse-engineer' a canon compatible lens mount
  • Sigma lens were design for Canon DSLR, not expressive guarantee for EOS-M

Solution is to sell your Sigma 17-50/2.8 can buy native EF-M lens.  A more practical solution is to return the M5 and buy a Canon SL1 DSLR for portability.  Neither solution is ideal, but its the only Realistic Solution over endless whining that will go no where with either Canon nor Sigma.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6
HaroldC3
HaroldC3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,630
Sigma does not support Canon mirrorless
 HaroldC3's gear list:HaroldC3's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
davel33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,029
Re: Sigma lens does poorly with any EOS-M1/M2/M3/ or M5

007peter wrote:

If you read this forum long enough, you're noticed the plethora of Sigma lens compatibility complain. Sigma 'reverse-engineered' its canon compatibility, which works great on older Canon DSLR. But Canon seem to have alter their code in such a way that many canon T6i/T6s owner also report compatibility problem with earlier Sigma lens.

There is no one to blame:

• Canon is within its right (refuse to share) its mounting information
  • Canon camera are design to work with Canon lens "only", Sigma & Tamron compatibility is not Canon's responsibility
  • Sigma is within its own right to 'reverse-engineer' a canon compatible lens mount
  • Sigma lens were design for Canon DSLR, not expressive guarantee for EOS-M

Solution is to sell your Sigma 17-50/2.8 can buy native EF-M lens. A more practical solution is to return the M5 and buy a Canon SL1 DSLR for portability. Neither solution is ideal, but its the only Realistic Solution over endless whining that will go no where with either Canon nor Sigma.

WOW this is so wrong, everyone one of my Sigma lenses works great on the M5. There are a LOT of people very happy with Sigma lenses on Canon, Nikon, Sony and few others.

BTW CANON has 24 Canons lenses on the Non-compatible lenses list.That's Non-compatible with Canon DPAF bodies.  To be fair the list has not been updated past the 70D and I dont think Canon will ever update it

-- hide signature --

"Just one more Lens, I promise....."
Dave

davel33's gear list:davel33's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +24 more
Sharlin
Sharlin Contributing Member • Posts: 737

davel33 wrote:

BTW CANON has 24 Canons lenses on the Non-compatible lenses list.That's Non-compatible with Canon DPAF bodies. To be fair the list has not been updated past the 70D and I dont think Canon will ever update it

The new-gen DPAF from the 80D upwards should be compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses. Of course this tells nothing about the compatibility with third-party lenses which is not something Canon concerns itself about, at least officially.

Sharlin's gear list:Sharlin's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more

Sharlin wrote:

davel33 wrote:

BTW CANON has 24 Canons lenses on the Non-compatible lenses list.That's Non-compatible with Canon DPAF bodies. To be fair the list has not been updated past the 70D and I dont think Canon will ever update it

The new-gen DPAF from the 80D upwards should be compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses. Of course this tells nothing about the compatibility with third-party lenses which is not something Canon concerns itself about, at least officially.

Can you site a source for this or is it speculation ?

-- hide signature --

Dave

Canon EOS R Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +24 more
Sharlin
Sharlin Contributing Member • Posts: 737

davel33 wrote:

Sharlin wrote:

davel33 wrote:

I can; it's mentioned in most of Canon's marketing materials but see eg. the specification chart under Live View Functions:

1. Dual Pixel CMOS AF
    • Dual Pixel CMOS AF is possible with all EF and EF-S lenses.
    • Contrast AF is not provided.

Compare to the 70D spec sheet which says that "over 103 EF lenses" are supported. The 70D manual also warns that with some lenses contrast detect is used instead of DPAF; this language is missing in the 80D manual.

Sharlin's gear list:Sharlin's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
jcochran Senior Member • Posts: 1,328

This is from the Canon USA website on the features of the EOS M5

"To expand creative opportunities, the camera is compatible with both EF-M lenses designed specifically for the EOS M series of digital cameras, as well as the full line of Canon’s EF and EF-S lenses^^^, plus other EOS accessories like Speedlites, Speedlite Transmitters and even Macro Ring Lites. Whether the EOS M5 is a primary or secondary camera, it boasts smooth compatibility with a wide range of EOS accessories."

jcochran's gear list:jcochran's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M5 +19 more
Vlasty Senior Member • Posts: 1,856
Re: M5 does not love Sigma 17-50 2.8

One of many reasons I avoid Sigma like thr plauge.

Vlasty's gear list:Vlasty's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +12 more

Sharlin wrote:

davel33 wrote:

Sharlin wrote:

davel33 wrote:

I can; it's mentioned in most of Canon's marketing materials but see eg. the specification chart under Live View Functions:

1. Dual Pixel CMOS AF
    • Dual Pixel CMOS AF is possible with all EF and EF-S lenses.
    • Contrast AF is not provided.

Compare to the 70D spec sheet which says that "over 103 EF lenses" are supported. The 70D manual also warns that with some lenses contrast detect is used instead of DPAF; this language is missing in the 80D manual.

Thank You  That is a very helpful  answer.

-- hide signature --

Dave

zkser Junior Member • Posts: 25

amenamen wrote:

Hi All,

I have a brand new eos m5. Thru the adapter I have Sigma 17-50 2.8 connected. If its OIS is ON during powering down the camera: the camera freezes for ~2min with black screen (but backlighted). Totally non responsive. To regain responsiveness I can do one of: wait the lag reseat the battery disconnect lens or its adapter. The quiet OIS of the lens is hearable during the lag.

Anybody has EOS M5 and Sigma 17-50 2.8 (or different) combo with similar problem ?

I do have this combo, but i did not experience the issue you had, luckily.

I actually quite love this combo, it solved some of the shutter lag in low light for me.

The image is sharp, focus is fast, except the noise from the lens which is acceptable.

My sigma 17-50 2.8 is only 1 year old.

How old is your one? Would that be different with older batch??

Markintosh
Markintosh Senior Member • Posts: 1,967

amenamen wrote:

Hi All,

How old is your lens? Maybe the firmware update will help?

My Sigma 30mm is good with M5.

-- hide signature --
 Markintosh's gear list:Markintosh's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art +8 more
Dshae Junior Member • Posts: 29

mine will shut off fine but if I want to turn it back on I have to turn off the os first.

Dshae's gear list:Dshae's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a7R III Sony a7 III
Runnicle Contributing Member • Posts: 581

As already pointed out on the other thread, Sigma's 18-250mm exhibits the same issue of the OS "hanging" after power-down, preventing a immediate power-up until the OS is made to "let go."  One poster (Scooterch) said that just flipping the catch on the battery door on the M3 released the OS, and I can confirm this on my M3 with the 18-250.  But, apparently the M5 requires the battery to be removed in order to release the OS.  Is this the way that you get the OS to release on your M5 when shooting your Sigma zoom?

Runnicle's gear list:Runnicle's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Leica X2 Leica X Vario Leica C Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +5 more
Specialbiker Forum Member • Posts: 70

amenamen wrote:

Hi All,

. . . .

Here my post onto this topic (never sell the premium Sigma 1750 to buy a mediocre EF-M lense):

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58951434

specialbiker

Scooterch New Member • Posts: 8

amenamen wrote:

My Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 has the same problem.

As I noted in an earlier thread (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58907564) the Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM has a similar problem, though the screen does seem to power down entirely. The M5 takes 60 seconds to turn off fully.

Worst, Sigma has confirmed that it does not support mirrorless cameras.

Zoltan Ilyes
Zoltan Ilyes Junior Member • Posts: 27

Hi,

Nikon's D5300 and D3300 bodies also have an issue with Sigma 17-50 f2.8 so that the OIS does not enter standby mode when the lens is not used - maybe the two issues are related.

For Nikon bodies recent enough FW on the lens solves the problem, you might try to update. Sigma even marks of the packages of the new lenses "D5300 compatible".

Zoltan Ilyes's gear list:Zoltan Ilyes's gear list
Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
OP amenamen New Member • Posts: 5

Thanks All of you for opinions / advices.

Local camera shop confirmed the lens' FW update should fix it and sent it to Sigma. It was purchased ~2014.

amenamen's gear list:amenamen's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
pgb
pgb Senior Member • Posts: 2,109

Scooterch wrote:

amenamen wrote:

My Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 has the same problem.

I have this non OS version, nice lens. In your thread you stated -

`I also tested an older Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5, which does not seem to have any issues.'

Does the older 17-70 work with the M5 ?

As I noted in an earlier thread (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58907564) the Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM has a similar problem, though the screen does seem to power down entirely. The M5 takes 60 seconds to turn off fully.

Worst, Sigma has confirmed that it does not support mirrorless cameras.

pgb's gear list:pgb's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +8 more
MSega New Member • Posts: 1

Same problem with M5 and Sigma 17-50. The device is completely switched-off approximately in 2 minutes. If it is necessary to turn on urgently the device - I turn a lens in the adapter to turn off contacts of a lens. But I have a high-speed and exact auto focus. Therefore I won't change a sheaf M5+Sigma 17-50 yet. Excuse for my English (((

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads