Canon pro1000 waste tank

Started Jan 9, 2017 | Discussions
seppoj Contributing Member • Posts: 537
Re: Canon pro1000 waste tank

That sounds really promising!

Does it have the same FW as your previous PRO1000?

Or  is there a manufacturing date somewhere?

I am looking to buy one, but have been put off by the reports of excessive ink usage.

-- hide signature --

500px.com/seppoj
www.third-eye.photography

seppoj's gear list:seppoj's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha a99 Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Phase One Capture One Pro +6 more
OP Cephus Regular Member • Posts: 368

I do not know what FW stands for.

I received the standard warranty cards with the replacemet unit.

The serial no is aevw00063   -  do not have the code to determine the mfg date.

Thus far it appears as the waste tank is not consuming ink at the rate of the previous unit.  Problem appears solved but a bit more time should confirm.

Cephus wrote:

I do not know what FW stands for.

I received the standard warranty cards with the replacemet unit.

The serial no is aevw00063 - do not have the code to determine the mfg date.

Thus far it appears as the waste tank is not consuming ink at the rate of the previous unit. Problem appears solved but a bit more time should confirm.

Sorry, I meant firmware with FW.

Please keep us posted re ink usage- many thanks!

-- hide signature --

500px.com/seppoj

Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha a99 Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Phase One Capture One Pro +6 more

Firmware is 2.020

Now only a few days away from the first month with the replaced Canon pro-1000.

It appears much better than the previous printer in dumping ink to the waste tank.  The waste ink tank, by the bar graphs, is about 1/5 full which is great compared to the previous printer which almost filled a waste tank in a month.

During the month I printed every day with the exception of one.  I also turned the printer off three times and triggered a clean cycle when I powered it back on.  (In an attempt to cancel prints, I hit the on/off button in lieu of  the OK button).

At this time, I can not find my note of the firmware on the previous printer - this one is 2,002,  For some reason, I can not find the option to print 25 inches wide but as I do not have any paper that works, have not looked too hard.

Very happy with the results as this should reduce my printing costs by about $100 a month (almost two ink tanks).

I have no regrets on having replaced my pro-10 with this printer as the prints are much better and like the larger available size.

Cephus wrote:

It appears much better than the previous printer in dumping ink to the waste tank. The waste ink tank, by the bar graphs, is about 1/5 full which is great compared to the previous printer which almost filled a waste tank in a month.

During the month I printed every day with the exception of one. I also turned the printer off three times and triggered a clean cycle when I powered it back on. (In an attempt to cancel prints, I hit the on/off button in lieu of the OK button).

At this time, I can not find my note of the firmware on the previous printer - this one is 2,002, For some reason, I can not find the option to print 25 inches wide but as I do not have any paper that works, have not looked too hard.

Very happy with the results as this should reduce my printing costs by about $100 a month (almost two ink tanks).

I have no regrets on having replaced my pro-10 with this printer as the prints are much better and like the larger available size.

That is really good news!

Just noticed on Canon's website a note : This updater will upgrade your printer's firmware to version 2.040.

Perhaps they have changed the hardware?

-- hide signature --

500px.com/seppoj

panos_m Senior Member • Posts: 1,583

Cephus wrote:

It appears much better than the previous printer in dumping ink to the waste tank. The waste ink tank, by the bar graphs, is about 1/5 full which is great compared to the previous printer which almost filled a waste tank in a month.

During the month I printed every day with the exception of one. I also turned the printer off three times and triggered a clean cycle when I powered it back on. (In an attempt to cancel prints, I hit the on/off button in lieu of the OK button).

At this time, I can not find my note of the firmware on the previous printer - this one is 2,002, For some reason, I can not find the option to print 25 inches wide but as I do not have any paper that works, have not looked too hard.

Thanks for the report. The latest firmware 2.040 αdresses the issue of excessing CO consumption on some paper settings, It's a good idea to install it. Also there is a new article on LuLA about this issue:

observations-chroma-optimizer-co-usage-canon-pro-1000-printer

and last, reading relevant discussions I found the "Auto nozzle check" setting in the printer and I set it to OFF to see what effect is going to have. It's under Device Settings --> Various Settings. Here is the relevant part in the manual:

http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Manual/All/PRO-1000%20series/EN/UG/ug_changing_settings5700.html

-- hide signature --

Panagiotis

Rondoc72 New Member • Posts: 23

What specifically does the Auto Nozzle Check when set to "on" do for the Pro-1000?  I searched but could only find information on Epson printers, not Canon printers, and specifically the Pro-1000. Thanks.

Ron

Keith Cooper
Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,546
Nozzle checks on Canon printers

Rondoc72 wrote:

What specifically does the Auto Nozzle Check when set to "on" do for the Pro-1000? I searched but could only find information on Epson printers, not Canon printers, and specifically the Pro-1000. Thanks.

Ron

Canon print heads have a lot of redundant nozzles in each colour block.

These are used to map out failing nozzles and give the impression (to some) that Canon nozzles never block

Of course at some point the spares are used up and you need to replace the head.

An important thing to note is that Canon and Epson handle nozzle failures and cleanings in very different ways - if you've years of experience using and doing cleanings for Epson printers, then be aware that your experience is of relatively limited relevance for ongoing use and maintenance of printers like the the PRO-1000

Lets put it this way, if I had a Canon printer here, there is absolutely no way I'd deactivate the auto-check options.

Running printers like these have ongoing costs - if they are too high, don't buy a printer, or wait a few years for them to get better (but don't hold your breath...)

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Rondoc72 New Member • Posts: 23
Re: Nozzle checks on Canon printers

Keith,

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the redundant nozzle function on the Pro-1000 but didn't realize that the Auto Nozzle Check could be used to turn it off.

Ron

panos_m Senior Member • Posts: 1,583

Keith Cooper wrote:

Rondoc72 wrote:

What specifically does the Auto Nozzle Check when set to "on" do for the Pro-1000? I searched but could only find information on Epson printers, not Canon printers, and specifically the Pro-1000. Thanks.

Ron

Canon print heads have a lot of redundant nozzles in each colour block.

These are used to map out failing nozzles and give the impression (to some) that Canon nozzles never block

Of course at some point the spares are used up and you need to replace the head.

An important thing to note is that Canon and Epson handle nozzle failures and cleanings in very different ways - if you've years of experience using and doing cleanings for Epson printers, then be aware that your experience is of relatively limited relevance for ongoing use and maintenance of printers like the the PRO-1000

Lets put it this way, if I had a Canon printer here, there is absolutely no way I'd deactivate the auto-check options.

Thanks for pointing out the importance of the Auto check option. If it's so crucial to be always on then why the end user has been given the option to disable it?

Running printers like these have ongoing costs - if they are too high, don't buy a printer, or wait a few years for them to get better (but don't hold your breath...)

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

-- hide signature --

Panagiotis

Keith Cooper
Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,546

Rondoc72 wrote:

Keith,

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the redundant nozzle function on the Pro-1000 but didn't realize that the Auto Nozzle Check could be used to turn it off.

Ron

I suspect it doesn't completely turn it off, just reduces the frequency some aspects of the process.

I note that it's in the admin section for the printer, so not meant for casual use?

I'll ask if there is an answer to whether it should be turned off and what this does - I don't expect a quick answer though...

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
henriko New Member • Posts: 9

Cephus wrote:

I'd appreciate if you would take the time to share an update here half a year later. How are things going for you with the replaced Pro-1000? Have some data to share, or just an overall observation?

/Henrik

The saga of the Pro 1000 waste ink tank.

I shall recap the entire saga here:

I purchased a Pro-1000 in March of 2016.  I found that it solved all of my past printing issues, but at a price.  I print about every day, perhaps missed 10 days since I owned the printer.   The printer filled a waste ink tank in not much over a month resulting in about 2 tanks of ink ( about $120) going into the waste ink tanks each month, or more than the price of the printer each year.

I began a dialogue with Canon about at the end of 2016 about the excessive waste of ink.  After many discussions, they decided to send me a new printer at the end of June (the warranty had expired but the problem had been ongoing since about the first of the year so  they agreed to replace the printer.  This appeared to reduce the dumping of waste in by half and I was a happier camper with the new printer.

Then at the end of about three months of usage on the new printer, the matte black channel completely clogged.   After multiple deep cleaning cycles, suggested by Canon, the problem did not improve.  Canon then sent me a new waste ink tank and tanks for the colors in the channel with the problem.  I was then prepared to purchase a new print head but when checking I found that the new print head was only about $100 less than than cost of a new printer, which to my way of thinking meant that the printer was not repairable as for $100 more I would get a new printer and a new set of ink tanks which after initialization would still hold over $600 of ink.

At this point I again contacted Canon and stated that although the printer was now 6 months past the warranty, I believed that the second printer was a lemon and should be replaced.  Canon then sent me the second replacement printer and asked that I try the old printer with the new head to see if this would fix the problem which it did.  Canon then offered to either let me have the new printer or to keep the old printer and the new ink cartridges.  Being the beast that it is, I kept the old printer and the new print head.   This also meant that I would not be running another setup with the loss of $500 in ink. I decided to send back the new printer and just keep the new print head.  All in all, I now have a working printer and I am ahead a full set of ink tanks.

Canon offered excellent support, spent multiple hours with me on the phone and in the end provided a solution that I could live with.  Also, it is a pleasure to deal with techs that you can understand.

Be happy to answer any question that any may have,.

Charles Dana

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 7,381

Thanks.  This is how we learn.

johnami
johnami Senior Member • Posts: 1,206

Cephus wrote:

The saga of the Pro 1000 waste ink tank.

I shall recap the entire saga here:

I purchased a Pro-1000 in March of 2016. I found that it solved all of my past printing issues, but at a price. I print about every day, perhaps missed 10 days since I owned the printer. The printer filled a waste ink tank in not much over a month resulting in about 2 tanks of ink ( about $120) going into the waste ink tanks each month, or more than the price of the printer each year.

I began a dialogue with Canon about at the end of 2016 about the excessive waste of ink. After many discussions, they decided to send me a new printer at the end of June (the warranty had expired but the problem had been ongoing since about the first of the year so they agreed to replace the printer. This appeared to reduce the dumping of waste in by half and I was a happier camper with the new printer.

Then at the end of about three months of usage on the new printer, the matte black channel completely clogged. After multiple deep cleaning cycles, suggested by Canon, the problem did not improve. Canon then sent me a new waste ink tank and tanks for the colors in the channel with the problem. I was then prepared to purchase a new print head but when checking I found that the new print head was only about $100 less than than cost of a new printer, which to my way of thinking meant that the printer was not repairable as for $100 more I would get a new printer and a new set of ink tanks which after initialization would still hold over $600 of ink.

At this point I again contacted Canon and stated that although the printer was now 6 months past the warranty, I believed that the second printer was a lemon and should be replaced. Canon then sent me the second replacement printer and asked that I try the old printer with the new head to see if this would fix the problem which it did. Canon then offered to either let me have the new printer or to keep the old printer and the new ink cartridges. Being the beast that it is, I kept the old printer and the new print head. This also meant that I would not be running another setup with the loss of $500 in ink. I decided to send back the new printer and just keep the new print head. All in all, I now have a working printer and I am ahead a full set of ink tanks.

Canon offered excellent support, spent multiple hours with me on the phone and in the end provided a solution that I could live with. Also, it is a pleasure to deal with techs that you can understand.

Be happy to answer any question that any may have,.

Charles Dana

So how much ink is lost / wasted now?  Thank you.

johnami's gear list:johnami's gear list
Sigma DP2 Ricoh GR II Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 +16 more

At present it appears to be dumping about 80-100 ml of ink per month.  About 1/2 of before.  These are not exact measurements but based on how long between waste tank replacements.  On the current printer, the ink dumped or used in the head initialization is unknown but does not appear to be significent.  Setting up a new pro 1000 consumes about 1/2 of the ink in a set of tanks.

Thanks for your update, Charles. 80-100ml of waste per month is still a surprisingly high amount to me, especially given your very regular use (which I imaging is more frequent than average for the class of printer). That's a full set of ink cartridges per year at quite a cost.

Good to know it eventually / hopefully works for you now, and fulfills the purpose, be it at a rather high running cost.

Charles, relating to your reported 80-100ml of monthly waste, it would be very valuable if you could share some basic printing stats from the Canon Accounting Manager on total ink use (CO for cleaning the platen seems to be included, but _not_ ink going to waste cartridge) and amount of prints.

If print frequency, ink-on-paper vs waste could be seen, that would give a very nice indication of actual cost of ownership for a regular use.

johnami
johnami Senior Member • Posts: 1,206

I read again through the whole thread. I would like to thank you and others who have contributed to 'printing' a picture of the Canon Pro 1000. I think the 'Pro' naming of this model is very important because it is indeed made for people who sell prints and therefore can recouperate ink costs.  I am not in this position today. But it is clear that this printer produces some beautiful prints at a cost. It's just not for me.

johnami's gear list:johnami's gear list
Sigma DP2 Ricoh GR II Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads