Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 still worth buying?

Started Jan 8, 2017 | Discussions
Adam23a Regular Member • Posts: 121
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 still worth buying?

I had this lens once and sold it, i haven't found anything to replace it so i have thought about buying it again but this lens should be due for a update seeing how it's 11 years old. I want it for indoor use on my 70D. The kit lens is to slow in low light indoors 18-135 STM.

I have been toying with the idea of going full frame when the new 6D comes out so i don't think a ef-s lens is the right choice.

Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sidekicker Senior Member • Posts: 1,771
Re: Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 still worth buying?

I have read that your kit lens is decent glass. Perhaps picking up a fast prime or two for low-light interior shots would be a better solution, especially if you're seriously considering going FF sometime in the future.

I still use a 17-55 2.8 IS as a general purpose lens. It continues to give better than average performance, but I would hardly consider it fast. For indoor events, I still use an external flash much of the time.

If you don't want to mess with primes, there have been good third party 2.8 alternatives available for some time. Unfortunately, I am not the person to comment on them. Good luck

Sidekicker's gear list:Sidekicker's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +5 more
Spotted Cow Senior Member • Posts: 1,586

Adam23a wrote:

I had this lens once and sold it, i haven't found anything to replace it so i have thought about buying it again but this lens should be due for a update seeing how it's 11 years old.

Perhaps butI haven't heard even a whisper about a replacement. If that's the only thing holding you back from making the purchase, you may be interested in he Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS or even better the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8.

I want it for indoor use on my 70D. The kit lens is to slow in low light indoors 18-135 STM.

I have been toying with the idea of going full frame when the new 6D comes out so i don't think a ef-s lens is the right choice.

Crop sensor lens is your best bet right now until you decide to purchase a FF camera for what you want to use it for. You can always sell it when and if you decide to purchase the 6D MKII, and no one knows when that is coming out either. Everyone is just guessing and there have been no hard evidence of its emergence.

The other choice is to buy the 6D right now at a fantastic price, depending on what you usually shoot. Unless it's a lot of sports/action, it's hard to argue against a 6D right now.

pilou1253 Regular Member • Posts: 139

Spotted Cow wrote:

Adam23a wrote:

I had this lens once and sold it, i haven't found anything to replace it so i have thought about buying it again but this lens should be due for a update seeing how it's 11 years old.

Perhaps butI haven't heard even a whisper about a replacement. If that's the only thing holding you back from making the purchase, you may be interested in he Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS or even better the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8.

+1 for the sigma 18-35 1.8. I truly love it and FOR ME the limited focal range and the lack of IS is not an issue but others might choose something else.

I want it for indoor use on my 70D. The kit lens is to slow in low light indoors 18-135 STM.

Crop sensor lens is your best bet right now until you decide to purchase a FF camera for what you want to use it for.

Same here, I don't see the point of going with an EF zoom to use on a 70D. No zooms does offer a very versatile focal range on crop, are limited to F2.8 and costs a huge amount of money...

Good luck!

pilou1253's gear list:pilou1253's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +7 more
Biker6006 New Member • Posts: 18

Bought one second hand to use on 7d mkII and very sharp, should have red ring.

William Woodruff Contributing Member • Posts: 686

Just get the 17-55, there is nothing better.  Get a refurb from Canon, and it is not very expensive, considering what you get  it is a brilliant workhorse of a lens.

-- hide signature --

WLW

William Woodruff's gear list:William Woodruff's gear list
Canon EOS M
Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 6,134

Adam23a wrote:

I had this lens once and sold it, i haven't found anything to replace it so i have thought about buying it again but this lens should be due for a update seeing how it's 11 years old. I want it for indoor use on my 70D. The kit lens is to slow in low light indoors 18-135 STM.

The question is whether or not there is something better, and there really isn't. The Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS is "as good" in my opinion, but even though these lens designs are a bit older, they have not been replaced.

I suppose you could buy a lens like the 24-70 f2.8 and then use it on the 6D when you get one.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
OP Adam23a Regular Member • Posts: 121

William Woodruff wrote:

Just get the 17-55, there is nothing better. Get a refurb from Canon, and it is not very expensive, considering what you get it is a brilliant workhorse of a lens.

Is it ever in stock? How good are Canons refurbs....do they come with the box and are they scratched up?

pkoenig2001 Regular Member • Posts: 488

My experience with Canon refurbs is great.  They are like new and include 1 year warranty.  They come with a generic shipping box only

-- hide signature --
 pkoenig2001's gear list:pkoenig2001's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 77D +10 more
Kaso Veteran Member • Posts: 4,484

Yes.

I use other (excellent) lenses along with the 17-55/2.8. I can suggest them as alternatives, but I won't.

William Woodruff Contributing Member • Posts: 686

I have gotten a couple of lenses, and a couple of bodies from Canon refurb.  But for the fact that I knew they were the refurbs I ordered, I couldn't tell them from new.  There is also a theory that, on average, they may actually be better than a new item off of the assembly line, because they have to get a more thorough, individualized quality control check after being returned for whatever reason.  And it comes with the same Canon warranty as a new item.  17-55 is about $700 as a refurb.  No-brainer in my opinion.

-- hide signature --

WLW

William Woodruff's gear list:William Woodruff's gear list
Canon EOS M
mrmrbill
mrmrbill Regular Member • Posts: 207

pkoenig2001 wrote:

My experience with Canon refurbs is great. They are like new and include 1 year warranty. They come with a generic shipping box only

^^ This has been my experience w/ Canon refurb, as well. Solid recommendation.

-- hide signature --

"I'm just here for contrast."

mrmrbill's gear list:mrmrbill's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +3 more
SundridgePete Regular Member • Posts: 398

Maybe a key question is why you sold it before?  Whatever put you off last time won't have changed...

SundridgePete wrote:

Maybe a key question is why you sold it before? Whatever put you off last time won't have changed...

The dust in the lens but i have a bad habit of selling lenses and regretting it later so now i just keep any lens i buy. lol

dave_bass5
dave_bass5 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,285

Adam23a wrote:

I too had this lens a few years ago. I loved it but sold it when i got a 15-85. Ive tried 3 new copies since i wanted another and none were as good as the first one, so i gave up.

The first two we decentered and the third would not focus as reliably as it should on my 80D. I gave up and got the 50mm f/1.8 STM instead.

Although i have a 5Dmkiii i love my 80D, and thought id get a few cheap lenses for it. The 18-135 STM was one of them and ive been knocked out with its IQ. In fact my other two fav lenses on my 80D are the 50mm f/1.8 STM, 10-18 STM and 24 f/2.8 STM. Canon have really upped the low end game with these lenses IMO.

I wouldnt use the 18-135 for indoor use though, but for less than the cost of the 17-55 you can get the 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2,8 and 50mm f/1.8 STM lenses.

dave_bass5's gear list:dave_bass5's gear list
Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M50 +10 more
Loren Charif Veteran Member • Posts: 3,716

Adam23a wrote:

SundridgePete wrote:

Maybe a key question is why you sold it before? Whatever put you off last time won't have changed...

The dust in the lens but i have a bad habit of selling lenses and regretting it later so now i just keep any lens i buy. lol

Been there, dun that!  I even tried to buy one back from my buyer, but he said he's very happy with it and has no plans to let it go, ever.  Haven't sold another one since then!

Loren

Loren Charif wrote:

Adam23a wrote:

SundridgePete wrote:

Been there, dun that! I even tried to buy one back from my buyer, but he said he's very happy with it and has no plans to let it go, ever. Haven't sold another one since then!

Loren

That's funny, i have never tried to buy one back. It took me two years to pay for a 70-200 f2.8 and on the third year i sold it like a dummy.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads