Sigma confirms: no support for Canon mirrorless

Started Jan 5, 2017 | Discussions
Scooterch New Member • Posts: 8
Sigma confirms: no support for Canon mirrorless

I purchased a Canon M5 and a Canon M3 for Christmas, and have been trying them out.

The M3 was a gift for my daughter, as a travel-friendly alternative to her 6D. She also got the 22mm f/2 M-series lens and a generic (Meike) mount adapter. My wife received the M5 body as an upgrade to the EOS 400D (inherited from our daughter some years ago). The M5 was the body-only "starter pack" that comes with the Canon EF/EF-S to EF-M mount adapter (without the tripod extension, frustratingly).

This offered a good range of options to test the lenses we had on hand. We quickly found a problem with the Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM. This is a handy 'travel' lens and thus seemed ideally suited to the mirrorless body, even with the added bulk of the adapter.

In brief, the Sigma 18-250mm works on both bodies, but there are problems when powering off. Neither body switches off fully for one minute. It seems that the lens is holding onto the sensor for a full 60 seconds after the switch is turned off. There is a distinct click after 60 seconds - perhaps releasing the sensor (just guessing). The M3 screen goes blank but is not off. Opening the battery cover will turn it off completely. The M5 seems to power down but cannot be turned on again immediately. Removing the battery will re-set things.

I tried this with various combinations of lenses, adapters, SD cards and batteries (I also purchased a couple of generic cells that work well, though neither the M3 nor the M5 will display the remaining charge, as expected). I also tested an older Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5, which does not seem to have any issues.

I wrote to Sigma in Switzerland, where I am based, and they contacted Sigma Japan. Their response: "A Happy New Year. As you may know our lenses are optimized to DSLR cameras. So there may be incompatibility issue when it attached to Canon M series cameras. In other words, our products to not support Canon mirror less cameras." (my emphasis). Canon's Swiss rep. added, "We are sorry we could not give you any better news."

Perhaps I was naive to expect anything different. However it does seem short-sighted from Sigma. They promote the 18-250mm as a travel-friendly compact zoom, and I would not be alone in expecting it to be a useful pairing with the smaller mirrorless bodies. Buyers be warned.

This is my wife's favourite lens, as she likes to shoot birds as well as bugs and flowers. It is disappointing that it is no longer reliable. The M5 is a nice upgrade to the 400D of course, and it is too late to return my purchase to Canon (which is not at fault).

In the hunt for the ideal super zoom, I will take a closer look at the Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM, though it lacks the range and macro facility of the Sigma. I had considered the Tamron 18-270mm F/3,5-6,3 Di II VC PZD, when buying the Sigma three years ago. I would welcome suggestions on good alternatives!

crashpc Veteran Member • Posts: 7,193
Re: Sigma confirms: no support for Canon mirrorless

I´d highly recommend you 55-250mm IS STM. Can be found for peanuts, and is awesome and very sharp.

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Sony a7R Canon EOS M10 Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,723

crashpc wrote:

I´d highly recommend you 55-250mm IS STM. Can be found for peanuts, and is awesome and very sharp.

+1 to Crash's suggestion (unless she wants to go as small as possible).  Great lens, though she'll need to pair it with another for the wider stuff.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5
Lawrencew Veteran Member • Posts: 4,861
case by case basis

Scooterch wrote:

I wrote to Sigma in Switzerland, where I am based, and they contacted Sigma Japan. Their response: "A Happy New Year. As you may know our lenses are optimized to DSLR cameras. So there may be incompatibility issue when it attached to Canon M series cameras. In other words, our products to not support Canon mirror less cameras." (my emphasis). Canon's Swiss rep. added, "We are sorry we could not give you any better news."

Perhaps I was naive to expect anything different. However it does seem short-sighted from Sigma. They promote the 18-250mm as a travel-friendly compact zoom, and I would not be alone in expecting it to be a useful pairing with the smaller mirrorless bodies. Buyers be warned.

I think it is probably a case by case basis.

My Sigma 150-600m and 105mm macro work flawlessly on my M5

What we might find - and perhaps what Sigma Japan is saying - is that if a Sigma lens has issues on an M, then they are not going to fix it specifically for the M.  As long as it works OK on a Canon DSLR, then Sigma's support with go no further.

Sigma may well take the approach of saying if their lens works fine on say the 80D, then its not Sigma's problem if it doesnt work on a M5 - It's Canon who introduced some incompability....

-- hide signature --
 Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Sony RX10 III Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +8 more
mouzhik
mouzhik Regular Member • Posts: 362

So does Tamron...

I have tried to use the Tamron 16-300mm on mu M bodies (M2, M10 & M3) with the original Canon adpater, the AF does not work, so it's half-useless (shooting with manual focul at 300mm is rather challenging..;-))

So I contacted their Customer Support in France where I live and the answer was more or less similar: they only guarantee EF-S mount compatibility, every other use is at your own risk.

They kindly invited me to buy their EF-M lens...

I have always liked Tamron lenses, especially their travel zooms, but I guess this is my last third party lens ever.

mouzhik's gear list:mouzhik's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon G1 X III Ricoh GR III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel SL1 +13 more
ttbek Veteran Member • Posts: 4,869
Re: case by case basis

True, but sooner or later it will become Sigma's problem.

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Samsung NX30 +37 more
4xdog Contributing Member • Posts: 556

R2D2 wrote:

crashpc wrote:

+1 to Crash's suggestion (unless she wants to go as small as possible). Great lens, though she'll need to pair it with another for the wider stuff.

R2

Agreed! The EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM is a better lens than you might think.  It's a plastic mount, which really seems to be a non-issue (at least to me) and it's sharp for sure.  I quite like mine.

4xdog's gear list:4xdog's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M3 +12 more
Lawrencew Veteran Member • Posts: 4,861

ttbek wrote:

True, but sooner or later it will become Sigma's problem.

Only when they feel the M market is sufficiently big enough.

-- hide signature --
 Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Sony RX10 III Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +8 more
trungtran Senior Member • Posts: 1,352

How come you did not get your daughter an M5 as well? I know the M5 is substantially more but curious.

Sigma had issues in the past with lens protocols. There is always possible incompatibility issues with third party equipment. It may work with existing equipment, but you never know about the future.

I would stick to Canon OEM lenses if you plan on upgrading bodies later on.

+1 on the 55-250 STM which is a great performer for its price but it's only for crop sensors.

There is a possibility of Canon releasing a full frame mirrorless in the future, so you may want to consider the EF 70-300 II as well

The native EF-M lenses are all decent performers.

trungtran's gear list:trungtran's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7 II Canon EOS M6
OP Scooterch New Member • Posts: 8

trungtran wrote:

How come you did not get your daughter an M5 as well? I know the M5 is substantially more but curious.

The M3 was my daughter's request. I thought she was just being economical (which I appreciate), but I later learned that she was unaware of the M5 release. Her 6D is the better camera and she has some nice primes to match, so the M3 was just to add some portability. She is a bit of a collector and also has such things as an instamatic, a lomo and my original EOS 620 SLR in her collection. I try to strike a balance between encouraging her interest in photography and teaching her that you can't have it all, especially when I'm paying!

OP Scooterch New Member • Posts: 8

Agreed: it would be useful to have a list of confirmed compatable lenses (or conflicts - hopefully a shorter list).

You have been fortunate with your lenses. As I mentioned, the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 also works fine on the M3 and M5.

trungtran Senior Member • Posts: 1,352

Scooterch wrote:

trungtran wrote:

The M3 was my daughter's request. I thought she was just being economical (which I appreciate), but I later learned that she was unaware of the M5 release. Her 6D is the better camera and she has some nice primes to match, so the M3 was just to add some portability. She is a bit of a collector and also has such things as an instamatic, a lomo and my original EOS 620 SLR in her collection. I try to strike a balance between encouraging her interest in photography and teaching her that you can't have it all, especially when I'm paying!

Good parenting there.

Your daughter will love the M3 as a travel camera. She might even get into legacy vintage glass. The m3 with the focus peaking makes it fun to use manual lenses.

trungtran's gear list:trungtran's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7 II Canon EOS M6
davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,978

Scooterch wrote:

I purchased a Canon M5 and a Canon M3 for Christmas, and have been trying them out.

The M3 was a gift for my daughter, as a travel-friendly alternative to her 6D. She also got the 22mm f/2 M-series lens and a generic (Meike) mount adapter. My wife received the M5 body as an upgrade to the EOS 400D (inherited from our daughter some years ago). The M5 was the body-only "starter pack" that comes with the Canon EF/EF-S to EF-M mount adapter (without the tripod extension, frustratingly).

This offered a good range of options to test the lenses we had on hand. We quickly found a problem with the Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM. This is a handy 'travel' lens and thus seemed ideally suited to the mirrorless body, even with the added bulk of the adapter.

In brief, the Sigma 18-250mm works on both bodies, but there are problems when powering off. Neither body switches off fully for one minute. It seems that the lens is holding onto the sensor for a full 60 seconds after the switch is turned off. There is a distinct click after 60 seconds - perhaps releasing the sensor (just guessing). The M3 screen goes blank but is not off. Opening the battery cover will turn it off completely. The M5 seems to power down but cannot be turned on again immediately. Removing the battery will re-set things.

I tried this with various combinations of lenses, adapters, SD cards and batteries (I also purchased a couple of generic cells that work well, though neither the M3 nor the M5 will display the remaining charge, as expected). I also tested an older Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5, which does not seem to have any issues.

This is my wife's favourite lens, as she likes to shoot birds as well as bugs and flowers. It is disappointing that it is no longer reliable. The M5 is a nice upgrade to the 400D of course, and it is too late to return my purchase to Canon (which is not at fault).

In the hunt for the ideal super zoom, I will take a closer look at the Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM, though it lacks the range and macro facility of the Sigma. I had considered the Tamron 18-270mm F/3,5-6,3 Di II VC PZD, when buying the Sigma three years ago. I would welcome suggestions on good alternatives!

ther 55-200STM is way sharper than any super zoom... your sigma is about the best super zoom so if you get another one you will take a hit

you probably still have better results if you crop to make up for the lack of 50mm at the long end  55-200stm vs sigma 18-250 ...

but it means you have to have a 2 lens solution

-- hide signature --

My 5D IS a MK1 classic

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70s Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Canon EOS M5 +9 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,057

R2D2 wrote:

crashpc wrote:

I'd reserve "very sharp" to non ef-s and non 5x+ lenses. L lenses and good primes are very sharp. Usually is those that don't have better lenses that say the low end zooms are very good!

+1 to Crash's suggestion (unless she wants to go as small as possible). Great lens, though she'll need to pair it with another for the wider stuff.

R2

-- hide signature --

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,057

davev8 wrote:

Scooterch wrote:

ther 55-200STM is way sharper than any super zoom... your sigma is about the best super zoom so if you get another one you will take a hit

you probably still have better results if you crop to make up for the lack of 50mm at the long end 55-200stm vs sigma 18-250 ...

2 lenses are 2 lenses not a solution

davev8

RedFox88 wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

crashpc wrote:

I'd reserve "very sharp" to non ef-s and non 5x+ lenses. L lenses and good primes are very sharp. Usually is those that don't have better lenses that say the low end zooms are very good!

do you count the 70-200F4L sharp?? 70-200 f4L vs 55-250 stm

do you count the £2500 GBP 11-24 f4L sharp EF-M 11-22mm vs 11-24 F4L

do you count the 17-40 F4L sharp EF-s 17-55 F2.8 vs 17-40 F4L

do you count the 24mm F1.4L sharp

The EF-m 22 f2 is at a big disadvantage as the L glass is on FF+ more MP but the 22/2 still puts up a good show EF-M 22mm F2 vs 24mm F1.4L

R2

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

My 5D IS a MK1 classic

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70s Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Canon EOS M5 +9 more
ttbek Veteran Member • Posts: 4,869

davev8 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

crashpc wrote:

do you count the 70-200F4L sharp?? 70-200 f4L vs 55-250 stm

That's a non 5x+

do you count the £2500 GBP 11-24 f4L sharp EF-M 11-22mm vs 11-24 F4L

So is that.

do you count the 17-40 F4L sharp EF-s 17-55 F2.8 vs 17-40 F4L

And that.

do you count the 24mm F1.4L sharp

From the above, yes.

The EF-m 22 f2 is at a big disadvantage as the L glass is on FF+ more MP but the 22/2 still puts up a good show EF-M 22mm F2 vs 24mm F1.4L

Pretty sure that counts as a good prime?

R2

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

My 5D IS a MK1 classic

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Samsung NX30 +37 more
davev8

RedFox88 wrote:

davev8 wrote:

Scooterch wrote:

you probably still have better results if you crop to make up for the lack of 50mm at the long end 55-200stm vs sigma 18-250 ...

2 lenses are 2 lenses not a solution

errr 2 lenses are a 2 lens solution....the OP mentioned the  55-200 himself ..i was being  helpful with hopefully some helpful info to help the OP to make an informed decision

However your post has added absolutely nothing to this thread its pointless and not helpful 1 bit

-- hide signature --

My 5D IS a MK1 classic

SwedishPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 430

Scooterch wrote:

trungtran wrote:

The M3 Will probably please her

The M5 beats the 6D in many areas though. Except ofc in the shallow DoF department and when you want the FF lenses' true focal length.

Im also happy to report that all the adapted lenses I've tried so far works flawlessly on the M5 compared to my M1 and M3. Shame about that 18-250 of yours :-/

SwedishPhoto's gear list:SwedishPhoto's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS M Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Sony FE 70-200 F4 +7 more
HL05 New Member • Posts: 19

You are not alone. My Sigma 17-70 C got the same issue when coupling with the M5.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads