A year after switching from Canon 5D MKII to Sony A7R II

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
pixontrips
pixontrips New Member • Posts: 5
A year after switching from Canon 5D MKII to Sony A7R II

A year ago I made the switch to Sony A7R II after using Canon 5D MK II for more than 4 years.  My observations are summarized in my blog: http://pixontrips.com/blogs/my-experience-switching-from-canon-5d-mark-ii-to-sony-a7r-ii-one-year-review/.  Here are the highlights.

What I like about A7R II:

• AF works on all 11 Canon lenses I have had when the lenses are paired with the Metabones Smart Adaptor Mark IV.  
  • 20"x30" prints made from A7R II still show tons of details thanks to the higher resolution of the A7R II senso.  5D MK II is clearly stretched at this size
  • High ISO performance of the A7R II is much better.  
  • 4K video, this going without saying
  • Versatile lens mount: it opens up opportunity for using lenses that have different mount (e.g. Minolta MD)

What can be improved on A7R II?

• Rear dial, too small, too difficult to use especially in winter
  • Annoying LCD/viewfinder switching

Do I still miss 5D Mark II?

In general, not really.  But I do miss two things:

• Lightroom Camera Landscape profile for Canon is so wonderful
  • Magic Lantern: I love the ability to shoot video in raw format

You will find more details and sample photos in my blog .

pixontrips's gear list:pixontrips's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Astrophotographer 10 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,278
Re: A year after switching from Canon 5D MKII to Sony A7R II

pixontrips wrote:

A year ago I made the switch to Sony A7R II after using Canon 5D MK II for more than 4 years. My observations are summarized in my blog: http://pixontrips.com/blogs/my-experience-switching-from-canon-5d-mark-ii-to-sony-a7r-ii-one-year-review/. Here are the highlights.

• AF works on all 11 Canon lenses I have had when the lenses are paired with the Metabones Smart Adaptor Mark IV.
  • 20"x30" prints made from A7R II still show tons of details thanks to the higher resolution of the A7R II senso. 5D MK II is clearly stretched at this size
  • Versatile lens mount: it opens up opportunity for using lenses that have different mount (e.g. Minolta MD)

In general, not really. But I do miss two things:

I think you can half block the eye sensor for the LCD/EVF switching with a bit of black electrical tape. See a post by Jim Kasson about this.

I plan to do that at some point as yes its too sensitive.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +7 more
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,149

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

pixontrips wrote:

A year ago I made the switch to Sony A7R II after using Canon 5D MK II for more than 4 years. My observations are summarized in my blog: http://pixontrips.com/blogs/my-experience-switching-from-canon-5d-mark-ii-to-sony-a7r-ii-one-year-review/. Here are the highlights.

• 20"x30" prints made from A7R II still show tons of details thanks to the higher resolution of the A7R II senso. 5D MK II is clearly stretched at this size
  • Versatile lens mount: it opens up opportunity for using lenses that have different mount (e.g. Minolta MD)

I think you can half block the eye sensor for the LCD/EVF switching with a bit of black electrical tape. See a post by Jim Kasson about this.

Greg.

Programmed my C3 button to switch between view finder and rear display manually to get deterministic behavior.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7R II +25 more
pixontrips
pixontrips OP New Member • Posts: 5

pixontrips wrote:

Greg.

Thanks Greg for the tip.  I will give it a try.

-- hide signature --
pixontrips

Steve W wrote:

pixontrips wrote:

Greg.

Programmed my C3 button to switch between view finder and rear display manually to get deterministic behavior.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Perfect.  That is exactly what I wanted.  I am now using C4 to toggle finder/monitor switch.

-- hide signature --
curlyone
curlyone Contributing Member • Posts: 595

This must  be the ultimate comparison between  Cheese and Chalk,  the only thing they have in common is the fact, they are both called a Camera.  cheers.

BBQue Senior Member • Posts: 2,228

Initially I was excited about this, but in practice it does not work really well, cause there is a very fine line between too sensitive and not sensitive at all.

So either dedicate a button to this, or as a work-around, you can slide the eye-cup upwards whenever the LCD switches off during waist level. This works reliably and is almost like having a dedicated button/lever.

BBQue Senior Member • Posts: 2,228

curlyone wrote:

This must be the ultimate comparison between Cheese and Chalk, the only thing they have in common is the fact, they are both called a Camera. cheers.

That must be the exaggeration of the year

mreynolds767 Senior Member • Posts: 1,658

Steve

-- hide signature --

Ditto what Steve wrote.  This is actually a nice benefit of the A7Rii vs, the previous A7 models as you had to go into the menu for the view finder/LCD to switch, was not custom assignable but is now on the A7rII and if you shoot in the cold is almost a requirement.

-- hide signature --

online gallery at:
www.MattReynoldsPhotography.com

mreynolds767's gear list:mreynolds767's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II
Jrnichols5 Regular Member • Posts: 189

pixontrips wrote:

Greg.

Or more simply set a custom button (trash can on my camera) to toggle between the LCD and EVF. That way it only switches when I want it to.

Jrnichols5's gear list:Jrnichols5's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8
Alphabert Junior Member • Posts: 44

pixontrips wrote:

I never owned 5DMKII but my friends do/did and I would add to what I like:

- the IBIS is great, always. period. But even better with vintage and adopted lenses.

- smart remote app and ability to control camera with smartphone is wonderful (in the latest version of the app)

- customization of nearly all buttons is GREAT!

To the bad things for sure you cannot deny that a little longer battery life would be nice.

About the LR camera profiles, I had the same issue. Used only the Adobe profiles until I ran over the HUELIGHT profiles (here: http://www.colorfidelity.com/sony.htm) Love those much better than Adobe's or Sony's, especially the skin tones do come out much better.

Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,149

Alphabert wrote:.

I never owned 5DMKII but my friends do/did and I would add to what I like:

- the IBIS is great, always. period. But even better with vintage and adopted lenses.

- smart remote app and ability to control camera with smartphone is wonderful (in the latest version of the app)

- customization of nearly all buttons is GREAT!

To the bad things for sure you cannot deny that a little longer battery life would be nice.

About the LR camera profiles, I had the same issue. Used only the Adobe profiles until I ran over the HUELIGHT profiles (here: http://www.colorfidelity.com/sony.htm) Love those much better than Adobe's or Sony's, especially the skin tones do come out much better.

I use the HueLight profiles for all my cameras, Sony and Canon now, Fuji in the past. Gives me some bit of consistency across camera brands and different bodies.

Steve W

-- hide signature --

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7R II +25 more
janez Regular Member • Posts: 179

pixontrips wrote:

Would you make a switch from 5D4 to A7R II?

janez's gear list:janez's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon Extender EF 2x II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM +3 more
DFPanno
DFPanno Veteran Member • Posts: 4,880
Don't miss my 5D3. Two suggestions.

Switch to manual and map 'down ring" for ev/ovf switch.

Huelight profiles ( they are body specific)

-- hide signature --
pixontrips

janez wrote:

pixontrips wrote:

Would you make a switch from 5D4 to A7R II?

Since I don't own 5D4, my opinions are based on reviews I read online.

• A7R II still wins in high ISO performance and exposure latitude,  though marginally according to DPreview's results.
  • You may think 42MP is not that much different from 30MP if you don't regularly make large prints.  But look from another perspective, A7R II has an option that allows you to switch between full frame and APS-C format.  In APS-C mode you still get 18MP (1.54x cropping factor), which is still very useful.   In certain situations, 18MP is more than enough.  I use this feature a lot when travel light is more important.  For instance, an EF20mm f2.8 can also be used as a 31mm f2.8, perfect combo for street photography.   A TS-E 17mm f/4L can be doubled as a 26mm TS-E, and an EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L becomes 600mm f5.6 at the long end.  On the other hand, 5D4 only gives you 12MP in APS-C mode.
  • A7R II can use all EF-S lens when paired with the Metabones adaptor, which is not true for 5D4.

Had I already purchased 5D4, I probably wouldn't switch to A7R II either  The difference in performance doesn't justify the hassle, plus 5D4 is less expensive than A7R II + Metabones.  Moreover, 5D4 has better AF in my opinion (I am being speculative).

-- hide signature --
janez Regular Member • Posts: 179

Would you make a switch from 5D4 to A7R II?

Since I don't own 5D4, my opinions are based on reviews I read online.

• A7R II still wins in high ISO performance and exposure latitude, though marginally according to DPreview's results.
  • You may think 42MP is not that much different from 30MP if you don't regularly make large prints. But look from another perspective, A7R II has an option that allows you to switch between full frame and APS-C format. In APS-C mode you still get 18MP (1.54x cropping factor), which is still very useful. In certain situations, 18MP is more than enough. I use this feature a lot when travel light is more important. For instance, an EF20mm f2.8 can also be used as a 31mm f2.8, perfect combo for street photography. A TS-E 17mm f/4L can be doubled as a 26mm TS-E, and an EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L becomes 600mm f5.6 at the long end. On the other hand, 5D4 only gives you 12MP in APS-C mode.
  • A7R II can use all EF-S lens when paired with the Metabones adaptor, which is not true for 5D4.

Had I already purchased 5D4, I probably wouldn't switch to A7R II either The difference in performance doesn't justify the hassle, plus 5D4 is less expensive than A7R II + Metabones. Moreover, 5D4 has better AF in my opinion (I am being speculative).

Thanks. I have APS-C Canon body and IQ for stills is good enough for my purposes but I need better quality video (4K). I am looking at A7R II and 5D4 for upgrade. I guess crop modes (at 4K video) on both cameras would give similar results in terms of IQ however A7R II also have FF 4K mode. How is that mode usable because I don't want change lens to often when going from still to video? Which lens are best for 4K video on A7RII ?

janez's gear list:janez's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon Extender EF 2x II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM +3 more
pixontrips

Thanks. I have APS-C Canon body and IQ for stills is good enough for my purposes but I need better quality video (4K). I am looking at A7R II and 5D4 for upgrade. I guess crop modes (at 4K video) on both cameras would give similar results in terms of IQ however A7R II also have FF 4K mode. How is that mode usable because I don't want change lens to often when going from still to video? Which lens are best for 4K video on A7RII ?

With A7R II, 4K video can be recorded in either full frame mode or Super (crop) 35 mode.  Super 35 mode has better video quality according to DPReview test.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads