Tamron SP 15-30mm

Started Dec 23, 2016 | User reviews
Kazzaz Senior Member • Posts: 1,064
Tamron SP 15-30mm

Optically :- Focal length is just awesome, lens is very good wide open and stopped down it's really really sharp, flares is a problem but not a big one though.

Built quality :- Very good, tamron is doing a very good job here.

The main problem that it's heavy, i thought it won't be a problem but trying it for a couple of days now the heavy weight is noticeable.

In the end i recommend the lens.

-- hide signature --

500Px - Profile :
https://500px.com/kazzaz

Kazzaz's gear list:Kazzaz's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD
Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Wideangle zoom lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Sony/Minolta Alpha DT • A012
Announced: Sep 12, 2014
Kazzaz's score
Average community score
James Larsen
James Larsen Senior Member • Posts: 4,500
Re: Tamron SP 15-30mm

Yeah that seems to be the only downside to the lens that its heavy. I guess that'd what you'd have to expect with an f/2.8 lens with VC!

-- hide signature --

I love Photography & Cinematography.
Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/JamesLarsenMI
Subscribe to my YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCglBlmPTAGoV29E-nyRcbDw

James Larsen's gear list:James Larsen's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more
Cassowary Regular Member • Posts: 166

When I first used this lens, a rental, my wrist actually started hurting.  But you eventually get used to it.

OP Kazzaz Senior Member • Posts: 1,064

yes, and when you look to the other lenses in the same range it's the same situation, the nikon 14 24 is a beast by itself.

-- hide signature --

500Px - Profile :

yea in my case hanging the camera with the lens mounted on my neck was really hurting, but yes i get used to it by holding it in my hand. But the results are worth it.

-- hide signature --

500Px - Profile :

StillLearning
StillLearning Veteran Member • Posts: 4,401

Yes it is a very good lens. Only problem with mine is it need a bit of AF tuning at 20mm but not for the rest. Sold it for the 14-24 which is what I have needed at the wider end. Will probably get another Tamron when it comes out with use with the TAP. Do kind of miss the extra 6mm at the long end and the VC was handy at times.

StillLearning's gear list:StillLearning's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 +11 more

StillLearning wrote:

Yes it is a very good lens. Only problem with mine is it need a bit of AF tuning at 20mm but not for the rest. Sold it for the 14-24 which is what I have needed at the wider end. Will probably get another Tamron when it comes out with use with the TAP. Do kind of miss the extra 6mm at the long end and the VC was handy at times.

I think the 14-24 still the best out there, but after the Tamron came out I just don't find the price difference is worth it ? do you think it is ?

-- hide signature --

500Px - Profile :

StillLearning

Kazzaz wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

I think the 14-24 still the best out there, but after the Tamron came out I just don't find the price difference is worth it ? do you think it is ?

Only unless you need the 14mm.  Again if they come out with a G2 version I will probably pick it up.

StillLearning wrote:

Kazzaz wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

Only unless you need the 14mm. Again if they come out with a G2 version I will probably pick it up.

yes but you know what im really interested in the g2 of the 14 24, it was out almost 10 years ago and still compete and still better than every other lens for nikon mount i beleive.  imagine what the new version would look like.

-- hide signature --

500Px - Profile :

StillLearning

Kazzaz wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

Kazzaz wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

Only unless you need the 14mm. Again if they come out with a G2 version I will probably pick it up.

yes but you know what im really interested in the g2 of the 14 24, it was out almost 10 years ago and still compete and still better than every other lens for nikon mount i beleive. imagine what the new version would look like.

That would be nice.

David Pavlich
David Pavlich Veteran Member • Posts: 4,341

I almost bought the Tamron, but because I have decent set of 77mm thread on filters, I went with the Canon 16-35 f4L.  But, if that's not a concern, the Tamron has been getting stellar reviews since it hit the market.

David

-- hide signature --

When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'
Viewbug: https://www.viewbug.com/member/David_Pavlich

David Pavlich's gear list:David Pavlich's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
wassim al malak Contributing Member • Posts: 670

StillLearning wrote:

seems like i have some issues with my 15-30 copy too , +20 AF fine tune adjust. on my d3 (at closest focus) doesn't make the lens reach the " 0 " on the chart at 30mm .

but the 15mm is spot on " 0 " on the chart needing 0 AF adjustment .

from the other side , i can get steady shots at 1/8 at 30mm with the VC "off" handholding but at same settings with VC "on" the shot will blured , the VC is ruining my shots at 1/8 , 1/4 .

what's your opinion ?

is the nikon 14-24 better then the tamron ?

thanks for any help .

wassim al malak's gear list:wassim al malak's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +2 more
StillLearning

wassim al malak wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

seems like i have some issues with my 15-30 copy too , +20 AF fine tune adjust. on my d3 (at closest focus) doesn't make the lens reach the " 0 " on the chart at 30mm .

from the other side , i can get steady shots at 1/8 at 30mm with the VC "off" handholding but at same settings with VC "on" the shot will blured , the VC is ruining my shots at 1/8 , 1/4 .

what's your opinion ?

thanks for any help .

That's a difficult question. Resolution wise they are pretty close the same. Sounds like you have a bad copy. I even needed a -4 on my 14-24 but it seems to work for all focal lengths.  My Tamron needed about -9 at 20mm but didn't need it on the other focal lengths.  I noticed when using VC I had to let it settle after it was activated before taking a shot.  I didn't need it too often. I would still consider a 15-30 if it came with the TAP IN for adjustment. I really like my USB Dock with my sigmas. But my 14-24 still gives me great results but my Tamron did also.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,356

Kazzaz wrote:

yea in my case hanging the camera with the lens mounted on my neck was really hurting, but yes i get used to it by holding it in my hand. But the results are worth it.

Don't hang on your neck. Even a small camera hung on you neck eventually will bother you.

I can carry two cameras with grips plus two very large lenses like Sigma 120-300mm OS F2.8 on one side and Tamron 15-30mm or 24-70mm on the other all day long ( 9hours at least) without any problems because I use Spider belt (knockoff) so the weight is distributed on the sides.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.
Photography Director for Whedonopolis.com

SushiEater wrote:

Kazzaz wrote:

Don't hang on your neck. Even a small camera hung on you neck eventually will bother you.

I can carry two cameras with grips plus two very large lenses like Sigma 120-300mm OS F2.8 on one side and Tamron 15-30mm or 24-70mm on the other all day long ( 9hours at least) without any problems because I use Spider belt (knockoff) so the weight is distributed on the sides.

Interesting, I think I will give it a try.

-- hide signature --

500Px - Profile :

wassim al malak wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

seems like i have some issues with my 15-30 copy too , +20 AF fine tune adjust. on my d3 (at closest focus) doesn't make the lens reach the " 0 " on the chart at 30mm .

from the other side , i can get steady shots at 1/8 at 30mm with the VC "off" handholding but at same settings with VC "on" the shot will blured , the VC is ruining my shots at 1/8 , 1/4 .

what's your opinion ?

thanks for any help .

If it's still under warranty, you'd better check it out. As for the optics quality of the 14 24 from the reviews I've seen it's an awesome lens.

-- hide signature --

500Px - Profile :

That's a difficult question. Resolution wise they are pretty close the same. Sounds like you have a bad copy.

my tamron isn't sharp at f2.8 on D3 except for 3 feet shots .

i think i'm giving up , it's a bad copy .

I even needed a -4 on my 14-24 but it seems to work for all focal lengths. My Tamron needed about -9 at 20mm but didn't need it on the other focal lengths. I noticed when using VC I had to let it settle after it was activated before taking a shot. I didn't need it too often.

me too , i didn't use the VC a lot , but i like it to work well anyway .

I would still consider a 15-30 if it came with the TAP IN for adjustment. I really like my USB Dock with my sigmas. But my 14-24 still gives me great results but my Tamron did also.

THANKS for your reply , it helps me .

Nikon D3 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +2 more

Kazzaz wrote:

wassim al malak wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

what's your opinion ?

thanks for any help .

If it's still under warranty, you'd better check it out. As for the optics quality of the 14 24 from the reviews I've seen it's an awesome lens.

Yes , it's under warranty , i'll send it to them with a problem's report with photos .

thank you for helping me .

ARClark
ARClark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,007

Kazzaz wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

They're close enough that the decision on which to buy is based more on focal length, features and price rather than IQ.

Alan

ARClark's gear list:ARClark's gear list
Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +13 more
georgo Junior Member • Posts: 43

Hi,

my 15-30 has a terrible back focus, it is not correctable on a D800, even with -20.

Is this strong backfocus correctable by a Tamron service?
The lens is very sharp when focused through live view, would like to keep it, if the BF can be repaired, I assume this falls under warranty.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads