VisibleDust Sensor Cleaning

Started Dec 23, 2016 | Discussions
x1carbon Regular Member • Posts: 135
VisibleDust Sensor Cleaning

I've seen a lot of sensor cleaning threads but given that I do not have access to other cleaners where I currently am, I wanted to check if it is okay to clean my A7RII sensor with the VisibleDust sensor cleaning liquid with a swab.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Visible-Dust-Sensor-Cleaning-Solution/dp/B003D01LW0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482496588&sr=8-1&keywords=visibledust+sensor

Any thoughts?

x1carbon's gear list:x1carbon's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +8 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 8,068
Re: VisibleDust Sensor Cleaning

Should work just fine. I use similar kit on my A6300.

You probably know this: take picture of sky (or other homogenous surface) with the smallest f-stop f22 - this will show all the dust spots on your sensor. Be gentle when cleaning, don't scrub, but it may take several rounds until it's perfectly clean.

Sol Invictus
Sol Invictus Regular Member • Posts: 481

They're good for the job. Just make sure not to mess up with the sensor. You have to "lock" it into cleaning position so it doesn't move: make the cleaning procedure via the A7Rii menu and when you get the message to turn the camera off, proceed with the cleaning.

-- hide signature --

cult of natural light...

Sol Invictus's gear list:Sol Invictus's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Lensbaby Composer Pro with Sweet 35 Optic Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +14 more
Tobamory Senior Member • Posts: 1,157

Yes works fine its all I use

plus fluid is the generalist stuff, for the harder stuff use the smear one, I normally do 2 passes or smear then one of plus to tidy it up...

i get get it all from WEX in the uk...

blue top top bottle is PLUS

Red top is SMEAR

if you plan to buy in bulk like I did.

Tobamory's gear list:Tobamory's gear list
Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
an1uk Regular Member • Posts: 102

The "Plus" variety contains alcohol and probably isn't safe for the Sony sensor coating.

an1uk's gear list:an1uk's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7 Sony a5100 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +8 more

an1uk wrote:

The "Plus" variety contains alcohol and probably isn't safe for the Sony sensor coating.

It's fine I've been using it on an a7rii for over a year...

http://www.visibledust.co.uk/Visibledust-Cleaning-Liquids?product_id=59

Sony is listed.

Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
Laddu Forum Member • Posts: 91

Has anyone used Vdust Plus? I plan to buy a pack with 12 swabs included but I read reviews that it smears and streaks the sensor.

Someone that has used it, can you please confirm or not?

Thank you

Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,683

Laddu wrote:

Has anyone used Vdust Plus? I plan to buy a pack with 12 swabs included but I read reviews that it smears and streaks the sensor.

Someone that has used it, can you please confirm or not?

Thank you

I've used the green bottle, not the plus and it worked ok.  I see now that they have softer swabs, orange, that they recommend for Sony.  Minimize liquid on the swab is my advice, last time i used the green stuff, if left a trail of drops across the sensor until i repeated the cleaning.  Using a lighted loupe is invaluable instead of taking pictures each time and trying to translate that to where the dust is on the sensor.  They have a smaller lighted loupe which is probably easier to store than the large one i got.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more

I use the Blue and Red

Red smears but its for oil etc. if you use Blue after and don't over do it its fine, too much on swab and it will leave small marks.

Its just a learning curve.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads