Olympus E-M1 and 12-100 Dual IS ?

Started Dec 13, 2016 | Discussions
bgalb
bgalb Senior Member • Posts: 2,179
Olympus E-M1 and 12-100 Dual IS ?

Just received the 12-100 and made a few indoors test shots.  First impression is it is a sharp as most reviews have indicated and a few shots sitting hand held gave me sharp results down to 1/4 second at 100mm.  Smooth zoom. Easy to manual focus.

I have camera set with IS on at S-S1, Half Way Rls with Is, Lens IS priority OFF, Rls Lag Time Short.  Lens OIS switch is ON.

My question is, am I shooting with Lens OIS only or Dual IS?  I have not seen it stated if dual (or sync) IS on this lens works in combination with camera IS.  Am on firmware 4.1.   I think that I am still working on only Lens OIS under these conditions.

Anyone know the facts?

-- hide signature --

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Clarkes 3rd Law

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +4 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,182
Re: Olympus E-M1 and 12-100 Dual IS ?

If it is like the 300mm f4, it is either both or none.  The lens IS switch turns on both, but you can choose which type IBIS on the E-M1.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 14,468

On your E-M1 it's hybrid-IS or no IS and is controlled by the lens IS switch. Panny IS lenses you have either/or choice as set up in the camera menu (exactly how differs for lenses with and without an IS switch). I don't know about the E-M5.

Enjoy your new lens!

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

bgalb
OP bgalb Senior Member • Posts: 2,179

OK.  After a little more checking, I can see in the viewfinder that there is no IS unless the lens IS switch is ON.  Thanks, guys.

-- hide signature --

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Clarkes 3rd Law

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +4 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 30,580

bgalb wrote:

OK. After a little more checking, I can see in the viewfinder that there is no IS unless the lens IS switch is ON. Thanks, guys.

Buried somewhere is the info that turning on the Oly OIS acts as the master switch for stabilisation. With some bodies you get the full integrated Sync IS of IBIS+OIS, on others it is OIS plus Roll only correction from the IBIS, on some earlier bodies it is not clear what happens with Oly OIS on, maybe interferes with the old IBIS, maybe (unlikely) disables the old 2 axis IBIS.

Anyway, a stab at which body does what and also with reference to Panasonic OIS is in my Oly timeline notes at http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/80-Oly-timeline.html

From that only the E-M1/E-M1ii/E-M5ii/Pen-F can do the full Sync IS trick.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads