photos distorted?

Started Dec 13, 2016 | Questions
Tomeranaray New Member • Posts: 5
photos distorted?

Hi, I just switched to M43 and the Olympus OMD EM5 II. I love it so far and don't regret moving on from DSLR. I already took some great shots with my Zuiko 12-40mm f2.8 Pro and Zuiko 75-300mm II lens.

Now, upon reviewing photos (with the 75-300mm) I notice some weird distortions. Can someone explain what I'm seeing? You need to compare the two pics to see the difference.

I know these are horrible pictures But why is the background all shifted/distorted? What 's the cause of this?

Thanks for any replies!

ANSWER:
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,998
Re: photos distorted?

You don't say what you've done to these pictures to make them look different, but it looks like you're comparing out-of-camera JPGs (or Olympus Viewer produced JPGs) to JPGs produced using a third party raw developer.

When your camera (or the supplied software) produces a JPG, it omits the outer rows of pixels that are reserved for IBIS and for beter demosaicing the pixels that are used in the image. Some raw developers include those extra pixels from the edges of the frame. The result is slightly larger (more pixels high and wide) images that have a slightly wider angle of view.

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +2 more
Mark9473 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,237

There are several things to discuss about these images, but what stands out to me is that between each of the two consecutive exposures, it looks like the scene is 'twisted' a bit. If you open each of the images and quickly click between them, this is quite obvious.

It looks to me like you used electronic shutter and the second image is affected by rolling shutter caused by camera movement.

If this is what is causing this, then learning to hold the lens steadier will help, as will switching away from electronic shutter.

If this is not the distortion you are talking about, then please explain your question a bit better.

-- hide signature --

Mark

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +21 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 41,612

Did you engage the eshutter, or silent shutter mode?  If so, then the answer was provided by Mark.

Andrew

Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,998
it looks like the scene is 'twisted' a bit. If you open each of the images and quickly click between them, this is quite obvious.

Right, I see it too now.. it looks skewed! I think you solved the riddle with your diagnosis of rolling shutter

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +2 more
OP Tomeranaray New Member • Posts: 5

Hi, that's indeed it. It's rolling shutter as I indeed switched to silent shutter mode. I expected this to only be a problem when shooting videos, but I was wrong: when moving the camera a bit, which is hard to avoid when shooting wildlife, the problem manifests itself as well when taking pictures.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads