55-210mm kit, be honest, is it total rubbish?

Started Dec 12, 2016 | Discussions
EcoPics Senior Member • Posts: 1,890
55-210mm kit, be honest, is it total rubbish?

I dont have the money for an adapter yet or can afford a 70-300 etc, so I was considering the 55-210, if I get the old a6000 i plan to use mostly primes 50mm downward.

it doesnt get bad reviews son BnH but that could be just people dont know better.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
HP1999 Senior Member • Posts: 4,316
Re: 55-210mm kit, be honest, is it total rubbish?

EcoPics wrote:

I dont have the money for an adapter yet or can afford a 70-300 etc, so I was considering the 55-210, if I get the old a6000 i plan to use mostly primes 50mm downward.

it doesnt get bad reviews son BnH but that could be just people dont know better.

the 55-210 has received good reviews even though it is slow. Youtube has lots of videos

If you buy one of the Sony now you can get a $200 instant rebate when bought at the same time. B&H has that deal now. Perhaps others as well.

So basically with various discounts I only paid $130 for a new 55-210. However to pay almost $400 new, I dont think it worth it, but it depends what you shoot and is Sony the best choice in camera system since they are light on lens choices

Micro 4/3 or Fuji X have many more lenses not to mention the DSLR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itKU5fSv3FY

scottzee Forum Member • Posts: 77

It's not a bad lens for the money, but I went with the 18-200 as my telephoto option since I hate changing lenses. I really don't use it much though. Mostly just stick with my 16-70, 10-18, or 35 1.8.

scottzee's gear list:scottzee's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a6500 Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more
Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 10,944
 Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1
rayrik Regular Member • Posts: 415

Yes, it is total rubbish. The funny thing is that those on the forum who post their "great" examples of 55-210 convinced me to get rid of it, because those pics were exactly "as bad" as mine. The difference is just for those people is good enough but for me it wasnt. Fazit: it depend on ones expectations/need.

rayrik's gear list:rayrik's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Phase One Capture One Pro +4 more
Zductive Regular Member • Posts: 231

The lens is sufficient for many amateur needs. It is light, cheap and takes a reasonable image on a good day.  If you are shooting professionally, its probably not good enough. In that case, spend several thousand dollars to buy better glass. Buy a better camera too for that matter.

i find that most of my friends look at photos under terrible lighting conditions. Anything better than a coke bottle lens would be good enough for them. In print, the 55-210 looks fine. If you are pixel peeping, it will not have tge best resolution.

i note that most of my photos from an 18-55 are taken at the extremes. Thats why i ordered the 18-105. Look at how you shoot to determine what lens you need.

I have a running debate with a journalist about hardware. His zoom is 13k$. For that money, I can go somewhere that I can take photos instead of talking about it.

Enjoy the day.

Zductive's gear list:Zductive's gear list
Sony a6000
OP EcoPics Senior Member • Posts: 1,890

I got in my car yesterday, was already to go buy a GX85 on special, then I had a mini attack, and all night the Mrs and I couldnt figure it out. Something we just didnt like about the photos and videos.

What we realised is, its the dynamic range, the blow out of highlights and the SHARPNESS, which might just be the dynamic range, but might also be the sensor.

So we decided either the d5300 or the a6000. Still havnt figured it.

But wow those pics are amazing for a kit lens as are the 16-50mm.

rayrik Regular Member • Posts: 415

I was lucky getting right advice having same situation over year ago. The salesman noticed my bike helm and said "you take the Nikon and wont have it on you most of the time you would wish too" suggesting Fuji or a6000. If weight does not matter to you 5300 is better choice, you have plenty of lenses at reasonable prices too, for Sonys you will pay often twice for the same / comparable quality. In Frankfurt and area using car is a nightmare, I move around only on bike, so the a6000 is perfect for me, and the price difference for better lenses (like Zeiss) is hardly any.

rayrik's gear list:rayrik's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Phase One Capture One Pro +4 more
csintexas
csintexas Senior Member • Posts: 1,184

the 55-210 is better than the 16-50.

I think it is pretty average for a kit lens

csintexas's gear list:csintexas's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
val1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,346

HP1999 wrote:

EcoPics wrote:

the 55-210 has received good reviews even though it is slow. Youtube has lots of videos

If you buy one of the Sony now you can get a $200 instant rebate when bought at the same time. B&H has that deal now. Perhaps others as well.

So basically with various discounts I only paid $130 for a new 55-210. However to pay almost $400 new, I dont think it worth it, but it depends what you shoot and is Sony the best choice in camera system since they are light on lens choices

Micro 4/3 or Fuji X have many more lenses not to mention the DSLR

This is a great description. This lens is NOT a "good lens" BUT it should be available when you buy the body for about 150$. This lens is fine for 100$. It is NOT a 350$ lens even in sony's warped mind. For extra reach and 150$ buy the lens but if you are looking at paying retail then I would stay far away.

val1's gear list:val1's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +13 more

In Frankfurt and area using car is a nightmare

AGGH Guten tag mein freund, meine freunden/frau ist aus dem Hessengebiet!

Sorry my german SUCKS !. I only know what I know from listening to her and the family and asking what certain words mean so I find it hard how you can have a word at the end which in English would be at the front, and the whole male female word things gets me every time, but I try.

I bought my current Hiking boots from Germany, Meindls. Damn its hard to find breit shoes in Germany, us kiwis grow up bear foot, so have fat feet, hence why we so good at rugby bro.

Maybe the d5300 would be better.

But I have a 70-300mm for 600USD used in brand new condition on offer. I thought that paired with the 16-55 and a 30mm f1.8 for really dim areas would get me started.

val1 wrote:

This is a great description.

There is a Tamron lens to 240?

blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,881

EcoPics wrote:

For pixel peepers, the E55210 will not suffice.

For the rest of us, the E55210 is dandy.

If you view images on a monitor screen, you will not notice the difference on a HD (2Mp) monitor, and may not even notice much difference on a UHD (8Mp) monitor.

Same when printing small - A4 size at home.

If you go bigger than this, then the FE70300 will be a better choice. Do consider the size as well, it is a much bigger lens, aside from the cost.

The E55210 is a 'daytime' use zoom lens. Don't use it under twilight, indoors, or in darkness. For daytime shots, (stopped down), the lens is just fine. It is extremely compact and does not weigh much - or, it is an easy (inexpensive) lens to carry if reach is needed.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a7 II Sony a7R II +37 more
snapa
snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,284
I'll be honest, it is NOT rubbish

EcoPics wrote:

Let me put some perspective into this thread, with a few pictures for a change. I also do not agree with putting adapters on cameras, not matter how cheap or expensive they are. Although I can afford the 70-300, I am not quite ready to upgrade my 55-210 to it yet, unless my 55-210 dies on me.

I am not saying there is anything great or special about the 55-210 lens, it is what it is. What I will ask you is, what it there that has the same range, besides the 70-200/300mm lens in the 200mm or over range with the same IQ? They are both MUCH larger, heavier, and MUCH more expensive. So people who like to travel light (if that matters to you) are screwed.

If Sony ever comes out with a new and improved 55/70-210/250mm f4-6.3 G type lens, I will be all over it! But until then, I will keep on taking pictures with it until it fails me.

Below are a few pictures to show people who put it down all the time that if/when used in it's sweet spots, it CAN deliver pretty good IQ. If you never found those sweets spot, or learned to use this lens correctly, what can I say.

He left me something just before he flew off.

It can even be used for action shooting.

Just a bird walking by ne at the park, focus was on the head.

The focus was on it's head.

Having dinner in a tree at sunset.

Not bad for a POS kit lens, IMHO.

So there you go, if you don't like the lens or think it's a POS, buy the 70-200/300 and deal with the cost, size and weight. Heck, I might even get the 70/300 if Sony or Sigma never make anything better than the 55-210 at a reasonable price, if or when my 55-210 dies on me

Since I only paid $240 for it as an open box Best Buy lens, I think it was worth the price.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/

snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
NetSlob
NetSlob Regular Member • Posts: 413

It's definitely not total rubbish.

It's more like 90% rubbish. 

NetSlob's gear list:NetSlob's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 +23 more
coody
coody Senior Member • Posts: 2,023
Re: 55-210mm kit, be honest, is it total rubbish? - Without it the memory is just gone

2016 Radio City Christmas Spectacular all Performers

KBTinto Senior Member • Posts: 1,315
Re: I'll be honest, it is NOT rubbish

snapa wrote:

EcoPics wrote:

Let me put some perspective into this thread, with a few pictures for a change. I also do not agree with putting adapters on cameras, not matter how cheap or expensive they are. Although I can afford the 70-300, I am not quite ready to upgrade my 55-210 to it yet, unless my 55-210 dies on me.

I am not saying there is anything great or special about the 55-210 lens, it is what it is. What I will ask you is, what it there that has the same range, besides the 70-200/300mm lens in the 200mm or over range with the same IQ? They are both MUCH larger, heavier, and MUCH more expensive. So people who like to travel light (if that matters to you) are screwed.

If Sony ever comes out with a new and improved 55/70-210/250mm f4-6.3 G type lens, I will be all over it! But until then, I will keep on taking pictures with it until it fails me.

Below are a few pictures to show people who put it down all the time that if/when used in it's sweet spots, it CAN deliver pretty good IQ. If you never found those sweets spot, or learned to use this lens correctly, what can I say.

He left me something just before he flew off.

It can even be used for action shooting.

Just a bird walking by ne at the park, focus was on the head.

The focus was on it's head.

Having dinner in a tree at sunset.

Not bad for a POS kit lens, IMHO.

So there you go, if you don't like the lens or think it's a POS, buy the 70-200/300 and deal with the cost, size and weight. Heck, I might even get the 70/300 if Sony or Sigma never make anything better than the 55-210 at a reasonable price, if or when my 55-210 dies on me

Since I only paid $240 for it as an open box Best Buy lens, I think it was worth the price.

I'd agree, the 55-210 is okay for me too.  I bought it only a few months ago (in fact I bought the A6000 w/1650 on end of March 2016)  and though it has been a slow learning curve for me (used a digital point and shoot before the a6000 and stopped shooting film by mid 2000)  but now it is okay for what it does and definitely not rubbish.  I am just an amateur content to look at my pics on a computer screen for the most part (I use a 6 year old Dell 15.2 inch laptop)  and if pretty nice share it. Who cares if it isn't worthy of publishing of what not. The 55-210 is small, light and very easy to carry along with the a6000 and 16-50.  Now that I have the 18-105 I'll have to revise that method.  And of course the 55-210 doesn't attract too much attention to me and I like it that way ...  As I use it more I am getting comfortable with it and though one of my shortcomings is not using a tripod most of the time when it is needed I can somethings get okay results even in low light (for me of course)

Some shots

Dim light no tripod but hey no choice take a shot or not ... and the 55210 was there

Again low light and I used close to a 4x digital zoom ...

A little birdie taking a break

I am retired and don't have the income I used to have and if I had bought a really expensive lens I might find myself being too careful with it. I now also have the 18-105 which I am very careful with (bought it when B&H had one as open box for $498.)

There are those who can afford to buy and buy  the best and latest, to them I say, more power to you, I just stay within my own means and I am happy.

KBTinto's gear list:KBTinto's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Canon PowerShot S100 Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony a6300 +5 more
Luddhi
Luddhi Regular Member • Posts: 293

It's light weight. It is Stablised (OSS) and is a bargain. You can do much better if yu pay much more

Luddhi's gear list:Luddhi's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 V USM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more

The only issue is, we shoot in the forest a lot, which can get dim if it gets cloudy, would it still be usable? in saying that most NZ birds are land based or about 15ft away, often less.

KBTinto Senior Member • Posts: 1,315

EcoPics wrote:

The only issue is, we shoot in the forest a lot, which can get dim if it gets cloudy, would it still be usable? in saying that most NZ birds are land based or about 15ft away, often less.

Why don't you provide some samples of pictures you have taken of these birds with whatever camera/lens....and also what it is that you plan to shoot the most with a lens of the 55-210 focal length and under what lighting conditions ..

KBTinto's gear list:KBTinto's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Canon PowerShot S100 Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony a6300 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads