M5 and IS function

Started Dec 11, 2016 | Questions
plantdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 4,393
M5 and IS function

Does the IS continue to run the entire time the camera is on? Does it shut off when the camera goes into sleep mode? Does it function only when the camera is in the focus mode (like slr)? Discovered that on my M3 the IS runs the entire time the camera is powered on, including sleep mode. With an M lens, you can either pick run continuous or turn off.  There are not choices with a non M lens except the IS switch on the lens. Had I known about this functioning I would have returned the camera, but too late now. Unfortunately, I would not purchase an M5 if the IS functioned in the same manner.

Greg

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Alan Sh Veteran Member • Posts: 3,031
Re: M5 and IS function - the answer is NO while asleep.

Right - here's what happens - at least with my M5 and a 15-45 lens. I have it set to turn off the display after 1 minute and go to sleep 1 minute later.

Turn the camera on and IS is continuous - I can just hear it if I put my ear to the lens.

After 1 minute, the display turns off and a green light flashes slowly on the right of the camera (as you look at it from the back). IS is still on. Once again, I can just hear it.

After another minute, it goes to sleep. The green light stops flashing and IS turns OFF. No sound.

A half press on the shutter button, brings it all back to life. IS turns back on and the display comes to life.

Does that help?

Alan

Alan Sh's gear list:Alan Sh's gear list
Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M50 +17 more
Ant123 Junior Member • Posts: 40

Can you check this  ?

Ant123's gear list:Ant123's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
M02 Contributing Member • Posts: 603

Alan Sh wrote:

Right - here's what happens - at least with my M5 and a 15-45 lens. I have it set to turn off the display after 1 minute and go to sleep 1 minute later.

Turn the camera on and IS is continuous - I can just hear it if I put my ear to the lens.

After 1 minute, the display turns off and a green light flashes slowly on the right of the camera (as you look at it from the back). IS is still on. Once again, I can just hear it.

After another minute, it goes to sleep. The green light stops flashing and IS turns OFF. No sound.

A half press on the shutter button, brings it all back to life. IS turns back on and the display comes to life.

Does that help?

Alan

Could you repeat the test with an EF lens? For example, I see you have the 24-105L. Does that behave the same in terms of the IS on the M5?

M02's gear list:M02's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +11 more

Ant123 wrote:

Can you check this ?

No, why would I want to do that?

Alan

Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic ZS100 Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M50 +17 more

M02 wrote:

Could you repeat the test with an EF lens? For example, I see you have the 24-105L. Does that behave the same in terms of the IS on the M5?

OK - tried it with my 24-105L. Exactly the same behaviour.

Alan

To check that your camera is real EOS, or it's another one PowerShot like M3, M10.

Sorry - why do I care?

Alan

M02 Contributing Member • Posts: 603

Alan Sh wrote:

M02 wrote:

OK - tried it with my 24-105L. Exactly the same behaviour.

Alan

Thanks. That's a bit disappointing as I have that lens, and I would hope to use it on the M5. The IS is kind of loud, and I might be concerned about the mechanism wearing out.

M02's gear list:M02's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +11 more

Why not?

OP plantdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 4,393

Thanks. Seems the M5 has three adjustable modes.  Display off. Sleep with everything off but the camera and then totally off. The M3 has display off but leaves IS running and then totally off but the wait time is not adjustable unfortunately for off. The design engineering has me baffled.

Greg

bowserb Forum Member • Posts: 95

Guys, you have me bumfuzzled.  The IS is on as long as the camera is awake?  With Canon DSLRs the IS is only on when the AF is operating (if you use the AF-ON or AF * back button focus), or when you half press the shutter.  Full time IS seems like it would run down the battery and, as someone else mentioned, put additional wear on the gyros and mechanisms in the lens.

I cancelled my M5 pre order upon reading limitations of the EVF, waiting to see one in person.  Now I'm thinking the M5 may be another model to just forget and wait for the next model.  Some of my IS lenses have big IS motors (500/F4, 300/F2.8, 100-400) that have to be drawing a lot of current from the battery, not to mention moving a lot of gears and gyros.  I can't imagine IS trying to stabilize a lens when I'm just moving it around.

Thanks for this thread.  You may have save me some money and aggravation!

bowserb's gear list:bowserb's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M50 +11 more
Hinder Contributing Member • Posts: 819

I just stuck my ear on my lens and listened to IS running, I have the camera on automatic shutdown and the IS stopped when it went into sleep mode and when I half pressed the shutter it started up again and ran until it shut off again. You can turn the camera off with the switch or turn the IS switch off on the lens provided there is one, but yes, it does stop in the sleep mode also. I have the power down set to 30 seconds and the display off in 15 seconds. Why the heck would they do that? On the bright side I've taken 1,138 pictures and have only charged the battery twice, once for about an hour when I first got it because I was too excited to wait and the second time I fully charged it and since the full charge still showing three bars. I used flash on a lot of them too.

"I cancelled my M5 pre order upon reading limitations of the EVF"

What are the limitations? I got used to mine quickly after having never used an EFV and find it to be very good.

Hinder's gear list:Hinder's gear list
Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD500 +21 more
OP plantdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 4,393

At least with m5, you can set sleep to a short time which turns off the IS. Still not like a slr but much better than the M3. None of the reviews of the m3 that I read mentioned this glitch. Hmmm

greg

cdlk New Member • Posts: 3

Had my M5 for a few days and not getting on with it very well!

The trouble I have with this approach of sleep timeout is that if you have the display set to auto (auto switch between EVF and screen) then the camera will continuously wake itself up. E.g. I stop shooting and hold the camera by my side as usual - the sensor continuously thinks my leg/body is my face and keeps waking the camera up (and switching the screen about)!

I tried using manual screen switching with a button, but this button only works in photography mode not review mode - argh!

cdlk's gear list:cdlk's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M5

I can set at button to switch it, but how do you turn off the autoswitch?

Alan

jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 6,508
Re: M5 and IS function

If I understand you the IS is always on with  M lenses until the camera goes to sleep.  If so this is a huge disappointment.  I had read that IS runs all the time with EF lenses adapted, but if I understand you correctly the behavior is exactly the same with native M lenses.

Totally baffling why Canon would do such a stupid thing.  What the #$%$# is going on with Canon?  They're waaaay behind in mirrorless already and now they just seem to make really stupid design decisions with the first mirrorless camera they produced that had a chance of being competitive in the market.  I am totally baffled at this.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 9,280

jwilliams wrote:

If I understand you the IS is always on with M lenses until the camera goes to sleep. If so this is a huge disappointment. I had read that IS runs all the time with EF lenses adapted, but if I understand you correctly the behavior is exactly the same with native M lenses.

All M system cameras have left IS running continuously with EF-M lenses.  The M3 and M5 also run the IS continuously with adapted EF/EF-S lenses.  The M and M2 behaved like a traditional DSLR with regards to IS and adapted lenses.

Totally baffling why Canon would do such a stupid thing. What the #$%$# is going on with Canon? They're waaaay behind in mirrorless already and now they just seem to make really stupid design decisions with the first mirrorless camera they produced that had a chance of being competitive in the market. I am totally baffled at this.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 6,508

nnowak wrote:

All M system cameras have left IS running continuously with EF-M lenses. The M3 and M5 also run the IS continuously with adapted EF/EF-S lenses. The M and M2 behaved like a traditional DSLR with regards to IS and adapted lenses.

Just checked my original M with 18-55 EFM.  IS only engages when half pressing shutter button.  Just like a 'normal' camera.

I think the behavior changed when the M3 came out.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

cdlk New Member • Posts: 3

You can find this in the 'spanner' menu > tab 1 > Display settings.

You can change this to manual and select the screen you want. The screen switching button doesn't do anything if you are reviewing your photos though. I wish there was a dedicated button for switching screens!

cdlk's gear list:cdlk's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads