Olympus 12-40 Lens Barrel Wobbling

Started Dec 6, 2016 | Questions
Kai Wu New Member • Posts: 1
Olympus 12-40 Lens Barrel Wobbling

Hi,

I have jut bought a new Olympus 12-40 2.8 lens for a few days. When the lens barrel is extended to maximum length, I found the extended part of the barrel is a little wobbling and can hear the wobbling sound when I shake or gently fiddle with it up and down. However the lens optics and mechanism are both working fine. Does anyone's lens has the same situation? Or I've got a defective one?

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
JaKing
JaKing Senior Member • Posts: 6,299
Re: Olympus 12-40 Lens Barrel Wobbling

Welcome to DPR, Kai.

All my extending FTs and mFTs lenses 'wobble' when extended, even my new 12-100. All of them work perfectly.

[Edit] Most of them have been used by me for the last 7-9 years without any issues at all [end edit]

IOW, your lens is almost certainly perfectly normal.

-- hide signature --

br, john, from you know where
My gear list and sordid past are here: https://www.dpreview.com/members/1558378718/overview
Plus an E-M1 MkII on its way ...
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

JaKing's gear list:JaKing's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-1 +28 more
Twammers New Member • Posts: 22

Just checked mine and astonished to find the same "wobble".  I certainly haven't noticed it before, nor can I say I have noticed any performance issues with the lens.  I can only hope it's within design tolerances and isn't about to collapse!

Interested to hear from other users.

Twammers's gear list:Twammers's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +4 more
MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,611

Kai Wu wrote:

Hi,

I have jut bought a new Olympus 12-40 2.8 lens for a few days. When the lens barrel is extended to maximum length, I found the extended part of the barrel is a little wobbling and can hear the wobbling sound when I shake or gently fiddle with it up and down. However the lens optics and mechanism are both working fine. Does anyone's lens has the same situation? Or I've got a defective one?

Thanks!

Mine wobbles too, and has been doing that since I bought it two years ago. I was a little concerned in the beginning but it hasn't become worse so I guess it's normal. But I had preferred if they had built it with internal zoom. Anyway, they didn't, and it's a wonderful lens, wobbling or not.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
stokey Regular Member • Posts: 437

I have never come across an extending MFT zoom lens that didn't wobble. The zoom action would have to be so stiff as to be unacceptable for it not to have some lateral movement.

Bob

stokey's gear list:stokey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II
RSSrsvp Veteran Member • Posts: 3,251

My 12-40 Pro wobbles also, the only thing you have to worry about is when you have a few drinks and try to wobble in unison with the lens.

RSSrsvp's gear list:RSSrsvp's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
petergerritsen
petergerritsen Regular Member • Posts: 364

Hello KAi Wu.

Do you still have the 12-40mm? I just bought one and mine also wobbels. Lens is made in Vietnam . Wonder how  splash/dust proof this lens is with the wobble. Any experience? Is on the long run the lens reliable ?  Love the sharpness of the lens.

Best regards Peter

Kai Wu wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
 petergerritsen's gear list:petergerritsen's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
petergerritsen
petergerritsen Regular Member • Posts: 364

sorry picture was from 12-32mm This one is from 12-40mm

-- hide signature --
 petergerritsen's gear list:petergerritsen's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads