Extraordinary

Started Dec 3, 2016 | User reviews
bigkiwiboy
bigkiwiboy New Member • Posts: 17
Extraordinary
3

At first the D5 looks and feel like a D4 - or a D3, D2 etc, but in reality the D5 is from a whole different generation. The latest autofocus is extraordinary. In 3D continuous mode, I'm getting a rejection rate of about 1% shooting sports with a 300mm f4 PF ED attached! It's nothing to shoot a sequence even at 12 fps and have every shot in focus. I bought the XQD version which is noticeably quicker than the D3 was with CF cards. I've shot video at HD resolution and the focus performance in video mode is improved but still not fantastic. The footage is great quality, although I have yet to try shooting 4K. The touch display is long overdue, but completely intuitive to use, and infinitely faster to review shots, with the 'pinch' zoom function etc already familiar to anyone with a smartphone. Battery life is extraordinary too, although autofocus and VR functionality are obviously an overhead,  as is the http server which I use all the time. It's hard to find anything to criticise, but I really wish that the Mode button was still in it's old position on the top deck.

 bigkiwiboy's gear list:bigkiwiboy's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Kodak DCS660 Kodak DCS760 Nikon D1X Nikon D2H +26 more
Nikon D5
21 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Jan 5, 2016
bigkiwiboy's score
5.0
Average community score
4.9
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Nikon D3 Nikon D4 Nikon D5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
theonetruepath Senior Member • Posts: 1,744
Re: Extraordinary

Seems to be what everyone says that's used it. Insanely fast and accurate. Odd, that this fine camera was produced by a company in the late stages of rigor mortis!

 theonetruepath's gear list:theonetruepath's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +4 more
BirgerH
BirgerH Veteran Member • Posts: 5,904
Re: Extraordinary
5

theonetruepath wrote:

Seems to be what everyone says that's used it. Insanely fast and accurate. Odd, that this fine camera was produced by a company in the late stages of rigor mortis!

?????

A quick research - Nikon has come up with at least 6 new cameras in 2016 - adding three, which seems not to come in the near future - a total of 9.

A just as quick research - Sony has made three new cameras this year.

I would call it very well done by a company in it's late stage of rigor mortis.

BirgerH.

 BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
theonetruepath Senior Member • Posts: 1,744
Re: Extraordinary

BirgerH wrote:

theonetruepath wrote:

Seems to be what everyone says that's used it. Insanely fast and accurate. Odd, that this fine camera was produced by a company in the late stages of rigor mortis!

?????

A quick research - Nikon has come up with at least 6 new cameras in 2016 - adding three, which seems not to come in the near future - a total of 9.

A just as quick research - Sony has made three new cameras this year.

I would call it very well done by a company in it's late stage of rigor mortis.

This last statement of yours... I would call it a form of irony?

I would also term ironic the fact that you can use irony in almost exactly the same way that I did, without recognising my irony.

I did mention that we are divided by a common language...

 theonetruepath's gear list:theonetruepath's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +4 more
BirgerH
BirgerH Veteran Member • Posts: 5,904
Re: Extraordinary
1

theonetruepath wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

theonetruepath wrote:

Seems to be what everyone says that's used it. Insanely fast and accurate. Odd, that this fine camera was produced by a company in the late stages of rigor mortis!

?????

A quick research - Nikon has come up with at least 6 new cameras in 2016 - adding three, which seems not to come in the near future - a total of 9.

A just as quick research - Sony has made three new cameras this year.

I would call it very well done by a company in it's late stage of rigor mortis.

This last statement of yours... I would call it a form of irony?

I would also term ironic the fact that you can use irony in almost exactly the same way that I did, without recognising my irony.

I did mention that we are divided by a common language...

I did not recognize it as irony - I think with one of the last days threads in memory - so I do apologize if so

BirgerH.

 BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
theonetruepath Senior Member • Posts: 1,744
Re: Extraordinary
1

BirgerH wrote:

I did not recognize it as irony - I think with one of the last days threads in memory - so I do apologize if so

That thread is what prompted my reply yes. But I must learn to employ this bolding that you use when highlighting sections of quoted text, it might help to make irony more recognisable in a forum where voice clues are regretfully lacking.

 theonetruepath's gear list:theonetruepath's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +4 more
viteaux
viteaux New Member • Posts: 21
Re: Extraordinary
1

Hey bigkiwiboy,

I love my D5 too, its the Prince of Darkness! I changed the top record button to the Mode button in f1 Controls Menu.

 viteaux's gear list:viteaux's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +3 more
dwight3
dwight3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,814
Re: Extraordinary
1

I like my D5. My photography is eclectic, but I do a lot of events, which have all been indoors, so the low light performance is very interesting to me. I have been using a D4 for several years and got a D5 about 6 weeks ago. The D4 is now my backup body but many events I shoot with both bodies, with a different lens on each one so I can respond to transient events quickly.

My shots are mostly used on the web and in newsletters and PR releases so high resolution is not essential, and noise can be dealt with pretty well for those purposes. I use ISO 6400-12800 on the D4 and 8000-16000 on the D5 pretty regularly. With a lot of work in post the D5 can be used in the 60K-100K range although some downsampling might be necessary. The ISO of 3 million on the D5 is great for marketing and bragging rights, but useless for photography.

I have a D800e for "studio" work and documentation where I might need the high resolution. Of course the lighting is controlled in those situations so I don't need the high ISO performance (although the D800e does reasonably well there -- just not as good as the D4/5).

 dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
photofreak1972 New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Extraordinary

The only negative thing, which was imported from the D4:

When you use a WT-5/6 with this great camera(s), then you will block the headphone jack. I find this a major design fault, as nikon could transfer the network connection here, as this would make more sense. No one will use WT-5/6 and network at same time, but more people will use a WT-5/6 with headphone for filming and sending the film afterwards to a PC. Maybe Nikon could put the USB-Connector here, but losing the headphone jack is a major design fault at all.

I hope that Nikon will fix this design fault in the next Bodies like D5s or D6.

As i have nothing to complain about the WT-5 itself, when used on my D4. It is the best thing, that i can remember. Now i do not pull out the xqd card anymore, as i transfer the raw files automatically to my PC with the WT-5, all is done by the camera. No cables no card readers, just perfect.

 photofreak1972's gear list:photofreak1972's gear list
Kodak DC290 Olympus D-340R Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H +16 more
nikonjohn
nikonjohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,467
Re: Extraordinary

theonetruepath wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

I did not recognize it as irony - I think with one of the last days threads in memory - so I do apologize if so

That thread is what prompted my reply yes. But I must learn to employ this bolding that you use when highlighting sections of quoted text, it might help to make irony more recognisable in a forum where voice clues are regretfully lacking.

We need to get Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory to comment on whether your rigor mortis statement should be considered ironic.  I'm thinking that the D5, D500, D850 more accurately represents a company that is recovering from rigor mortis.  At least that's my hope.  Now if the Nikon mirror-less camera hits a home run we might consider whether it is a company on the verge of a renaissance.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads