XT2 grid artifact problem

Started Nov 17, 2016 | Discussions
Nurse Kato Forum Member • Posts: 67
XT2 grid artifact problem

Just got an XT2.  Stepped outside and grabbed a few quick shots to make sure the camera was working (no I wasn't trying to take a good shot, just making sure the camera operated).  Surprised to see an odd grid pattern show up in some areas of my image.  Coming to the internet I find that this has been an issue with the Xpro2 and now the XT2.  I had not seen this mentioned in the reviews/user reports that I found before buying the camera.  Interesting and not pleased.  Sunsets and sunrises with the sun directly in the image might end up being problematic.  My old XE1 shows no signs of this over the years I've had the camera.  Nor can I find this in any image from my old Sony A850.

It is quite evident in the image anywhere there is purple.  Zoom into the top of the post near the center of the image.  Pretty sure this will show in a print (not that I'd print this image)  I do a lot of black and white conversions and I really don't want a camera that has odd grids in it.

Fuji XT2 with 16mm 1.4 lens

Nurse Kato's gear list:Nurse Kato's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon G9 X Canon PowerShot G10 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +1 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rand 47
Rand 47 Senior Member • Posts: 1,380
Re: XT2 grid artifact problem

This is a fairly well known issue with the 24 mp sensors, in those specific conditions.  I'm guessing there is not a software/firmware fix for this.

Rand

OP Nurse Kato Forum Member • Posts: 67

Yeah, now that I've looked up the issue I see that it is unfortunately pretty common. Guess it just seemed odd to me that an issue such as this doesn't show up in the user reviews as a "feature" of the 24mp sensors.

Only the one here really addresses the issue. http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2016/07/25/fujifilm-x-pro2-grid-artefacts/--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25978351@N07/

Sony RX100 Canon G9 X Canon PowerShot G10 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +1 more
Rand 47
Rand 47 Senior Member • Posts: 1,380

Nurse Kato wrote:

Yeah, now that I've looked up the issue I see that it is unfortunately pretty common. Guess it just seemed odd to me that an issue such as this doesn't show up in the user reviews as a "feature" of the 24mp sensors.

Only the one here really addresses the issue. http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2016/07/25/fujifilm-x-pro2-grid-artefacts/--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25978351@N07/

Yup, can't disagree.  It would be a nasty surprise if one's forte is "sun in the image coming through trees" and other similar kinds of shots.  It is borderline bad design in my view.  I'm pretty happy with both my XPro2 and X-T2 cameras, and I don't often shoot this kind of shot, so not much of an issue for me - other than being irritated that "it is there."  Also, once one has been "bitten" by this, you can learn to "see it in the viewfinder/LCD" and make small adjustments in framing/position to eliminate it.

Rand

blackfeather Regular Member • Posts: 253

...I have been posting about this...and the "color shift" that I experienced was not flare induced as the sun was to my back late day....see the following shot with the color shift (tans and browns going "purple")...I have sent a note to Fuji about this but no reply yet.  Other than these couple of incidents the XT2 gives gorgeous files.

...the next shot will be what the actual color was (corrected)

blackfeather's gear list:blackfeather's gear list
Nikon Z7 +1 more

...the corrected shot (purple backed out in PS...

...after color correction...these are jpeg's converted from RAF file.

Nikon Z7 +1 more
tom1234567
tom1234567 Senior Member • Posts: 1,970

blackfeather wrote:

...I have been posting about this...and the "color shift" that I experienced was not flare induced as the sun was to my back late day....see the following shot with the color shift (tans and browns going "purple")...I have sent a note to Fuji about this but no reply yet. Other than these couple of incidents the XT2 gives gorgeous files.

...the next shot will be what the actual color was (corrected)

Hi blackfeather,

please let us know  what Fuji has to say on this matter

I think Fuji should compensate in some way as it makes the camera.

NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE

one thing Fuji could do is lower the price,

call all the cameras back and start again with new sensor,

Yeah I know the above won't happen but just my opinion

seems Fuji want a lot of monies for a camera that can not take photos WHEN facing into the sun????

and I do have the X-T2 NOT HAD THIS PROBLEM unless I try to crate it and its not hard.

what do others think.

Tom G

-- hide signature --

N.S.A. and G.C.H.Q. The only government goons that "LISTEN"?????
I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 64yr old body

tom1234567's gear list:tom1234567's gear list
Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 20mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +2 more

Tom...it sure puzzled me...my main workhorses are Nikon D3, D3s, D600,and D700...I also shoot a Sony A7s, and Fuji XT1, XPRO1 and now XT2...I have never seen a color "shift" such as this....my XT1, and XPRO1 give excellent results...but I have read other reports of owners seeing this "purpleness" to some lens flare issues which in my case was not flare at all...some used to call "flare" as "barrel flare" in the film days....but with the sun to my back, and no bright hot spot area in the shot...this color shift is strange to me.  I do believe it is a sensor situation.

Nikon Z7 +1 more
OP Nurse Kato Forum Member • Posts: 67

That is some crazy purple.  I did send Fuji an email about the "grid" problem.  They want a few sample images.  I suggest you send them another email with your images attached.  Not sure it'll help but it can't hurt.

tom1234567
tom1234567 Senior Member • Posts: 1,970

blackfeather wrote:

Tom...it sure puzzled me...my main workhorses are Nikon D3, D3s, D600,and D700...I also shoot a Sony A7s, and Fuji XT1, XPRO1 and now XT2...I have never seen a color "shift" such as this....my XT1, and XPRO1 give excellent results...but I have read other reports of owners seeing this "purpleness" to some lens flare issues which in my case was not flare at all...some used to call "flare" as "barrel flare" in the film days....but with the sun to my back, and no bright hot spot area in the shot...this color shift is strange to me. I do believe it is a sensor situation

From what I have been able to glean on the internet  this problem is

Hardware, i.e. sensor problem

not software so could not be fixed with a FW  upgrade

I just done a google search found others  with same problem

Tom G

N.S.A. and G.C.H.Q. The only government goons that "LISTEN"?????
I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 64yr old body

tom1234567's gear list:tom1234567's gear list
Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 20mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +2 more
tradesmith45 Senior Member • Posts: 2,142
UV Filter??

Hi, years ago, owners of the Panasonic 7-14mm m43 lens occasionally had purple flare.  Seemed this was coming from reflections between the rear lens element & sensor on Olympus m43 cameras.  The solution found was to attach a UV gel filter to the rear of the lens.

Noe of the discussions/tests of this problem w/ the X-Trans III sensor state whether a UV filter was attached to the lens when the images were captured.  Anyone tested for this w/ & w/o a UV filter?

PS, my X-T2 has not yet arrived.

tradesmith45's gear list:tradesmith45's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T100 +13 more
Re: UV Filter??

...I have sent "before/after" pictures to Fuji...I also never use any kind of filter...especially UV...I use hoods instead...so my shots are as pure as you can get.  If I ever hear from Fuji on this matter I will surely post some information...but once again...this only happened a couple of times...and to the RAW file to boot...so I would be reluctant to use the XT2 on paid work right now...meanwhile my D3s and D3 get it done.

Nikon Z7 +1 more

...I just found the other file that has some color shift....some friends of mine got married and this was their "toast" shot I was concocting...auto white balance...and normally when balancing for "incandescent"  light, you will get *blue* from outside sunlight, but here it ran towards purple again, on the counter aluminum edging....

..."window light" went towards purple instead of normal "blue" from the auto WB balancing for the incandescent lamp.

Nikon Z7 +1 more
tradesmith45 Senior Member • Posts: 2,142

blackfeather wrote:

...I just found the other file that has some color shift....some friends of mine got married and this was their "toast" shot I was concocting...auto white balance...and normally when balancing for "incandescent" light, you will get *blue* from outside sunlight, but here it ran towards purple again, on the counter aluminum edging....

..."window light" went towards purple instead of normal "blue" from the auto WB balancing for the incandescent lamp.

Thanks black feather.  Can you see the grid?  It isn't visible on the DPR gallery.

Indoors there'd be little UV getting through windows.

tradesmith45's gear list:tradesmith45's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T100 +13 more
LG 1220 New Member • Posts: 4

I guess this purple glob  in the middle of  photo is  what everyone really means when it comes to  term "fuji colors".

The pic  was taken a few days ago while walking around nyc mid day with my xpro 2 and 35 f2 with lens hood and uv filter.

The kicker is that i was using the OVF for this shot, and didn't realize id have this purple glob until i uploaded the photo later.

I'm really disappointed in fuji, They should fix this issue , yet they aren't even acknowledging it.

I was hoping to take the xpro 2 on a long term road trip in west africa later this  year but I need camera that can handle back lit into the sun spontaneous photos.

My now sold a7ii handle the salt flats of bolivia and east africa without a problem. Im sure the xpro would've been plagued with this purple artifact.

xpro 2 off you go, back to x100t and wait for the sony a7iii

sucks.

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 10,980

Your gas station shot is very high-key, maybe reduced contrast caused by the sunlight getting into the lens.  The purple blotch suggests it is mainly due to an internal reflection in the camera or lens or camera/lens combination.

Last time I saw this texturing problem was with the X10 under certain conditions.  This problem did not appear on X20 and X30:

view full res to see cloth-like texture

The cloth-like texture might be reduced by lowering the exposure of the shot, as others have stated.  In the X10 I believe it was an EXR rendering glitch.  Later cameras such as the X20 and X30 did not use the EXR sensor, so did not display the texture.  In the X-T2 we now are seeing it also but I'm guessing the mechanism for it is entirely different.

Also I've seen in several cameras (not all Fuji) that the auto exposure system does not avoid overexposure of one color vs the other colors, and this will shift the colors badly.  Lowering the exposure is a workaround, but then the shadow areas suffer.  Compromise, compromise.

I've never seen this texture problem when shooting my X-E1, and I am surprised to hear about this.  Is it also a problem on non-Fuji cameras that use the same basic sensor such as the Sony A6300 or A6500?  Or is it just on Fuji cameras?

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Every day a new image.

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X30 Panasonic ZS100 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 +15 more
Cliff Fujii
Cliff Fujii Veteran Member • Posts: 8,322

LG 1220 wrote:

I guess this purple glob in the middle of photo is what everyone really means when it comes to term "fuji colors".

The pic was taken a few days ago while walking around nyc mid day with my xpro 2 and 35 f2 with lens hood and uv filter.

The kicker is that i was using the OVF for this shot, and didn't realize id have this purple glob until i uploaded the photo later.

I'm really disappointed in fuji, They should fix this issue , yet they aren't even acknowledging it.

I was hoping to take the xpro 2 on a long term road trip in west africa later this year but I need camera that can handle back lit into the sun spontaneous photos.

My now sold a7ii handle the salt flats of bolivia and east africa without a problem. Im sure the xpro would've been plagued with this purple artifact.

sucks.

Do you shoot RAFs or JPG?  I only shoot RAW and have never noticed this issue.  My workflow goes from RAF to DNG using Lightroom CC conversion.  I'm waiting for Irident to come out with a RAW to DNG converter for Windows.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +52 more
Photomonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,806

LG 1220 wrote:

I guess this purple glob in the middle of photo is what everyone really means when it comes to term "fuji colors".

The pic was taken a few days ago while walking around nyc mid day with my xpro 2 and 35 f2 with lens hood and uv filter.

I was hoping to take the xpro 2 on a long term road trip in west africa later this year but I need camera that can handle back lit into the sun spontaneous photos.

sucks.

Judging from the angle of the shadows and the pasty blacks, this is plain old garden variety flare.

I get this occasionally with every camera I own.

Were you using a lens hood? Even with a hood it is insufficient to prevent this.

In those cases I shade the lens with my hand.

Do not despair.

Photomonkey's gear list:Photomonkey's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
LG 1220 New Member • Posts: 4

Photomonkey wrote:

LG 1220 wrote:

sucks.

Judging from the angle of the shadows and the pasty blacks, this is plain old garden variety flare.

Were you using a lens hood? Even with a hood it is insufficient to prevent this.

Do not despair.

Yes lens hood was on, raw and jpg , purple flare in both.

When i get home tonight i will post the other 4 or so photos where the purple glob came into play previously.

I love the form factor of the xpro 2 and its definitely such a joy to use. Esp how responsive it feels in hand.

But this is purple glob phenomenon is such a let down,  and i think fuji hasn't reacted well to this issue .

I was beyond frustrated so i sold it off my xpro2  quickly to someone on craigslist.

I will enjoy my x100t for the time being.

Photomonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,806

LG 1220 wrote:

Photomonkey wrote:

LG 1220 wrote:

sucks.

Do not despair.

Yes lens hood was on, raw and jpg , purple flare in both.

When i get home tonight i will post the other 4 or so photos where the purple glob came into play previously.

I love the form factor of the xpro 2 and its definitely such a joy to use. Esp how responsive it feels in hand.

But this is purple glob phenomenon is such a let down, and i think fuji hasn't reacted well to this issue .

I was beyond frustrated so i sold it off my xpro2 quickly to someone on craigslist.

I will enjoy my x100t for the time being.

Flare on modern lenses with their advanced coatings often are rendered as purple smears. This comes because the flare is suppressed greatly but not completely leaving just a little purple blob. Sometimes I get this with yellow/green blob.

Photomonkey's gear list:Photomonkey's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads