RX100 iv Macro Examples w/wo Raynox DCR-250

Started Nov 17, 2016 | Discussions
Hominid Regular Member • Posts: 160
RX100 iv Macro Examples w/wo Raynox DCR-250

A few days ago, DezM inquired about using the macro scene selection with an RX100 4/5, so I thought I'd start this thread showing a few examples. I don't use the the camera's macro option because it tends to favor a shallow depth of field, which typically isn't what I want when shooting close-up. I use A, continuous shooting (usually), manual focus with peaking color set to yellow and peaking level to mid or high. Others may have different/better settings — I'm still fairly new at this.

The first group of examples are close focusing distance but without a macro conversion lens.

This next batch was taken using a Raynox DCR-250 and Lensmate Quick change adapter kit. The subjects were about 1/4" to 1/2" long.

One problem with the Raynox DCR-250 is that it blocks some of the light from the flash. With the running crab spider mom I took a piece of aluminum foil, curving it just so, and taping it to the address post a little above the spider for more even light. All shots were handheld.

As always, I'd be glad to hear of any suggestions. I have gimpy joints so I don't use Photoshop or Lightroom, just Picassa and the standalone Nik suite for minor tweaking. No raw.

Sony RX100 Sony RX100 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 3,767
Re: RX100 iv Macro Examples w/wo Raynox DCR-250

I love the rhinoceros beetle with his/her tag along passenger.

Far be it from me to give any suggestions for improvement. I wish I could duplicate your talent. Every shot is outstanding.

-- hide signature --

Steve

OP Hominid Regular Member • Posts: 160

Thanks for your very kind words, DS — luck always plays a role.

Dave

adk38 Senior Member • Posts: 1,092

Well done

adk38's gear list:adk38's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +5 more
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,544

Excellent, did I say Excellent!

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more

Thanks for your encouraging words, adk38 and Elliot!

DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 34,643

Well done. I like the first and the fly shot.

-- hide signature --
 DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6

Thanks, Dez. By the way, the first is a passionflower and the fly is a flesh fly feeding on decaying brush rabbit remains.

Ceci Land Senior Member • Posts: 1,244

Thanks for these sample photos!  They're quite good!

I'm a new user of an RX100 mkV and I was wondering if there were a way to beef up the macro ability of the camera.  I seldom need a long lens and I much prefer candid shooting, so other than macro capability, the RX100V is a perfect fit.

Could you elaborate how you use the raynox dcr-250 with the camera?  Is there any other adapter needed?

Thx!

breccia Contributing Member • Posts: 506

Thank you for posting these, they are inspiring!

John

breccia's gear list:breccia's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T20
Bryan Boulier Regular Member • Posts: 122

Amazing photos!

Bryan Boulier's gear list:Bryan Boulier's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Sony SLT-A65 +1 more

Ceci Land wrote:

Thanks for these sample photos! They're quite good!

I'm a new user of an RX100 mkV and I was wondering if there were a way to beef up the macro ability of the camera. I seldom need a long lens and I much prefer candid shooting, so other than macro capability, the RX100V is a perfect fit.

Could you elaborate how you use the raynox dcr-250 with the camera? Is there any other adapter needed?

Thx!

Hi Ceci,

A Lensmate kit allows you to add filters and close-up lenses to the recent RX100 cameras. The cost is $24.95 (plus shipping). Here's the URL: https://lensmateonline.com/products/lensmate-rx100-iii-rx100-ii-rx100-quick-change-adapter-kit-52mm?variant=998641683

I ordered a couple of extra bayonet mounts for use with a lens hood and polarizing filter.

Glad you like the photos.

Dave

Hi Breccia and Brian,

Thanks for your encouragement. I thought I'd post another image, although posted earlier, just because it's such a beautiful jewel-like bug — to biologists, this is a "true bug," specifically a green stink bug nymph. The adult form is below the nymph; this particular individual has unusually colorful marginal banding.

Dave

Green Stink Bug Nymph (Chinavia hilaris)

Green Stink Bug (Chinavia hilaris)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads