BIF with EM 1 II + 300mm

Started Nov 14, 2016 | Discussions
dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,567
BIF with EM 1 II + 300mm

BIF

Learn Japanese !

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-T3 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,873
Re: BIF with EM 1 II + 300mm

dv312 wrote:

BIF

Learn Japanese !

At my age, I will be happy as long as I can still understand English.

Nice images, but I am not sure the bird was changing distance by all that much.  I want to see what it does with the bird flying very quickly toward the camera.

Of course if I understood Japanese, maybe I would actually know how quickly the bird was moving toward the camera.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
Denjw
Denjw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,361

I think the kingfisher is actually hovering before diving. They sometimes do this when they misjudge an initial dive, then hover and either dive again or pull out altogether.

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 8,252

Denjw wrote:

I think the kingfisher is actually hovering before diving. They sometimes do this when they misjudge an initial dive, then hover and either dive again or pull out altogether.

I think you are correct Dennis - hovering before dive - and not a good demo of BIF capture.

also it looks like the first 6 shots or so have the camera locked on the background. If the photographer was experienced with BIF shooting he would not have released the shutter unless the camera had lock on the bird, Maybe he was shooting in the pro capture mode and the first shots are pre-release.

It's  frustrating waiting for an experienced bird shooter to review the camera. Maybe Oly is keeping it out of the hands of anyone who can do a side-by-side with a D500 or 7D2

A pity Panasonic is not using PDAF. It would be nice to have a 2nd option with 4/3 lenses

Peter

wolfie
wolfie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,866
Be nice to know ...

Messier Object wrote:

Denjw wrote:

I think you are correct Dennis - hovering before dive - and not a good demo of BIF capture.

also it looks like the first 6 shots or so have the camera locked on the background. If the photographer was experienced with BIF shooting he would not have released the shutter unless the camera had lock on the bird, Maybe he was shooting in the pro capture mode and the first shots are pre-release.

It's frustrating waiting for an experienced bird shooter to review the camera. Maybe Oly is keeping it out of the hands of anyone who can do a side-by-side with a D500 or 7D2

A pity Panasonic is not using PDAF. It would be nice to have a 2nd option with 4/3 lenses

Peter

Wish I had a Babel fish ... good find

T'would be nice to know what fps and what focus pattern was in use - the first few frames certainly would have missed a centre single or a central 5 box, probably even a 9 box.

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic
https://aucklandswoffer.wordpress.com

wolfie's gear list:wolfie's gear list
Canon G7 X II Nikon 1 AW1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads