Comparing Batteries for X-T2 - Fujifilm vs Wasabi

Started Nov 8, 2016 | Discussions
LH Regular Member • Posts: 234
Comparing Batteries for X-T2 - Fujifilm vs Wasabi

I have the Fujifilm NP-W126S which came with the X-T2 and also purchase The Wasabi Power BTR-NPW126-JWP from Amazon. At times it seems like I've been getting better battery life from the Wasabi so I decided to run a simple controlled test.

Setup:

Fujifilm X-T2 with XF 18-55mm @55mm; Auto Aperture; OIS Off mounted on tripod

Shutter Auto; Exposure Comp +1.0; Auto ISO; Focus set to S; Shutter set to Electronic; JPEG only set to Fine.

Interval Shooting set to a shot every 30 seconds for an infinite length.

Ran operation till the camera shut itself down.

The results:

Fujifilm NP-W126S: 548 shots

Wasabi Power BTR-NPW126-JWP: 569 shots

Who knows if the Wasabi will hold up in the long run, but seems like a pretty good value.

Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hot Tuna Regular Member • Posts: 447
Re: Comparing Batteries for X-T2 - Fujifilm vs Wasabi

LH wrote:

I have the Fujifilm NP-W126S which came with the X-T2 and also purchase The Wasabi Power BTR-NPW126-JWP from Amazon. At times it seems like I've been getting better battery life from the Wasabi so I decided to run a simple controlled test.

Setup:

Shutter Auto; Exposure Comp +1.0; Auto ISO; Focus set to S; Shutter set to Electronic; JPEG only set to Fine.

The results:

Who knows if the Wasabi will hold up in the long run, but seems like a pretty good value.

I use Watson which allows you to use the Fuji charger. FWIW, they are $19.99 at B & H.

-- hide signature --

Hot_Tuna

Hot Tuna's gear list:Hot Tuna's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T10 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon Extender EF 2x II +4 more
Batdude
Batdude Senior Member • Posts: 2,340

LH wrote:

Setup:

The results:

Some mentioned to me that the wasabi ones might possibly not last as long as the original fuji ones.  At least that's what I understood and I really don't know how true that might be.

It would be interesting to see what you or others have found that bout that.  I'm shooting with the XT1 not XT2 though.

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D4 Pentax K-1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Veteran Member • Posts: 8,712

Batdude wrote:

LH wrote:

Setup:

The results:

Some mentioned to me that the wasabi ones might possibly not last as long as the original fuji ones. At least that's what I understood and I really don't know how true that might be.

It would be interesting to see what you or others have found that bout that. I'm shooting with the XT1 not XT2 though.

I've found both the Wasabi and Watson batteries to be pretty well indistinguishable from the OEM ones in terms of battery life, heat generation, etc. for both single shot and rapid fire shooting (but haven't tested with video).  The 2 Wasabis and 1 Watson I had with my X-T1 were still going strong after over 2 years of moderate usage and recharges.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Sutto Contributing Member • Posts: 504

I use a mix of Wasabi and original batteries in my T1 and t2.  There is no discernible difference between either.  The Wasabi are great value.  The Fuji ones in Australia are over $100 - which is ridiculous.  I'll never have to pay that price again now that I've discovered a cheaper alternative.

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

Shockwave Senior Member • Posts: 1,316

I've been using some aftermarket batteries from a local supplier in Australia. Not sure what brand they are, I'll check when I get home, but similar results. The Fuji seem to be well overpriced and the copies seem to work just as well. At less than half the price, they'd have to last half as long to make it financial unviable and only time will tell, but so far they seem pretty good.

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/theoverratedphotographer/
Fuji XT-2, 16-55 f/2.8, 50-140 f/2.8, 23 f/2, 35 f/2, 80 f/2

Shockwave's gear list:Shockwave's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +8 more
OP LH Regular Member • Posts: 234

Just want to add that at least for use in the USA, I like the Wasabi charger better than the Fujifilm. The integrated swing to store AC mains plug is nice. I haven't tried it, but I think you can use either charger for either battery (not 100% on this point).

Hot Tuna Regular Member • Posts: 447

Batdude wrote:

LH wrote:

Setup:

The results:

Some mentioned to me that the wasabi ones might possibly not last as long as the original fuji ones. At least that's what I understood and I really don't know how true that might be.

It would be interesting to see what you or others have found that bout that. I'm shooting with the XT1 not XT2 though.

If you looked at cost of Wasabi and cost of Fuji and factor in warranty, you probably could calculate which would be a better deal.

-- hide signature --

Hot_Tuna

Hot Tuna's gear list:Hot Tuna's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T10 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon Extender EF 2x II +4 more
Chris Joy Contributing Member • Posts: 615

LH wrote:

Setup:

The results:

Any chance you can do a run test with video on the Wasabi? That seems to be where more heat is generated and batteries drain faster. I already know what the 126s can do in that regard. Thanks.

Chris Joy's gear list:Chris Joy's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +4 more
Crashton
Crashton Senior Member • Posts: 1,355

LH wrote:

Just want to add that at least for use in the USA, I like the Wasabi charger better than the Fujifilm. The integrated swing to store AC mains plug is nice. I haven't tried it, but I think you can use either charger for either battery (not 100% on this point).

I use the Wasabi charger on my Fuji, Watson & Wasabi batteries. No problems at all.

Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon 1 J5 +11 more
VisualFX Senior Member • Posts: 1,164

I really wish third-party batteries would be seriously regulated. The voltage, and capacity can be all over the place. Wish some agency would step in and have all manufacturers list the exact capacity you are getting. Some third-party vendors overstate capacity.

VisualFX's gear list:VisualFX's gear list
Samsung NX500 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 10mm F3.5 Fisheye +7 more
Threaded Senior Member • Posts: 1,192

Just a general observation but I've noticed quite a few complaints in the forum about Wasabis swelling and generally not lasting too well, more so than other brands that get mentioned.  I can't buy them in uk anyway so take that for what it is, an observation.

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Veteran Member • Posts: 8,712

Threaded wrote:

Just a general observation but I've noticed quite a few complaints in the forum about Wasabis swelling and generally not lasting too well, more so than other brands that get mentioned. I can't buy them in uk anyway so take that for what it is, an observation.

Heard/read it here at times, but never seen it in the 3+ years I've been using them in Fuji cameras.  Would be interesting to see if there's a common thread in terms of usage (heavy video for example) that might explain some of these cases.  Or, perhaps there are QA issues in their manufacture.  The ones I've owned have consistently performed equal to or better than the Fuji OEM batteries for me, but as with any such 3rd party product, caveat emptor applies.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Peter Jonas Veteran Member • Posts: 3,284

LH wrote:

Setup:

The results:

Both those batteries claim to have the same capacity. As a consequence performance under conditions as you set them should be within +/- 5%.

Fuji's NP-W126S is claimed to offer improved performance when shooting 4k video.

It would be interesting to how they compare doing that.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

Peter Jonas's gear list:Peter Jonas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
machoman Regular Member • Posts: 251

SOme of my 3rd party batteries get stuck in the X-E1 and i have to think of a way to get them out. I'm still experimenting - have taped a string on the end of the battery - it makes the fit even tighter as the tape runs to the side of the battery but at least i know i can pull it out when i have to ......unless the string breaks....then i'm in serious trouble.

Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 5,586

Sutto wrote:

I use a mix of Wasabi and original batteries in my T1 and t2. There is no discernible difference between either. The Wasabi are great value. The Fuji ones in Australia are over $100 - which is ridiculous. I'll never have to pay that price again now that I've discovered a cheaper alternative.

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

Agreed.  I bought a pair of Wasabis off e-Bay and they seem indistinguishable from the Fuji's after a year of  enthusiast usage.  They charge in either the Fuji charger or the Wasabi one that came with them, though it came with a US plug on it and needs a small pin adapter for Australia.  A really useful additional benefit is that the Wasabi ones come with a 12v cord to a car cigarette lighter, which can be incredibly useful when traveling or camping.  I needed extra batteries, but chose Wasabi over others for that reason alone.  They've been very good.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +9 more
Aotearoaman
Aotearoaman Forum Member • Posts: 53

I read but cannot confirm that the Wasabi batteries use Japanese cells rather than cells manufactured in China.  I have used them in conjunction with the original Fuji battery on both my XT-1 and XT-2 without problem.  The Wasabi units are still going strong after 2+ years of moderate use and I will have no hesitation in purchasing Wasabi again.

I might replicate the test you ran but use full manual settings instead in order to remove possible variables from the equation.  If I do I will report back but I suspect that putting up a two year old Wasabi against an almost new Fuji (S-version) will hardly be a fair contest (but it might be worth assessing against the older version of the Fuji of similar age).

Aotearoaman's gear list:Aotearoaman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
shotguns Contributing Member • Posts: 807

Can you post a photo if the car charger... I have one but don't know if it's the one that goes with my wasabis...

shotguns's gear list:shotguns's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +5 more
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 5,586

Hi,

There is no separate car charger.  It's the same 110/240v mains power charger unit with Wasabi written on it.  It has  a removable spiral-coiled 12v cable with a car cigarette lighter plug on one end and a small 12v plug that goes into the body of the charger on the other.

Mine's 18mths old.  Here's a link to an e-Bay seller showing what I presume is the current model.  I'm not saying this is the best deal.  I didn't even look at the price.  But they have a photo of the unit.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +9 more
User2050700448 New Member • Posts: 1

Hello,

Can you charge the wasabi batteries with the fuji charger ?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads