amazing camera for its age

Started Nov 3, 2016 | User reviews
jazz camcorder
jazz camcorder Regular Member • Posts: 115
amazing camera for its age

bought this camera about a year ago along with 2 other mavica cameras it cost me $13 for its age the zoom and auto focus and steady shot are really amazing still take pretty nice photos can fit like one bmp image on the floppy so if you have a lot of floppy disks or a close to a computer with usb to back them up it takes quite nice photos jpg mode is fine as long as you set it on the less compress setting

if can pick one of these cameras up really cheap and have a usb floppy disk drive or old pc/laptop with one i would recommend getting one and you can pick up brand new packs of floppy disks for around $15nzd off ebay or less

i was lucky at a school gala i picked up 2x 10 packs of brand new sony ones for $3nzd

jazz camcorder's gear list:jazz camcorder's gear list
Canon PowerShot A470 Canon PowerShot G5 Fujifilm FinePix Z20fd Kodak EasyShare C433 Kodak EasyShare C713 +6 more
Sony Mavica FD-91
1 megapixels • 2.5 screen • 37 – 518 mm (14×)
Announced: Nov 16, 1998
jazz camcorder's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,441
Re: amazing camera for its age

The floppies also make good trap-shooting targets and coasters for hot drinks.

-- hide signature --
lancespring Veteran Member • Posts: 3,974
Good only as a curio to add to a camera collection

I would not recommend this camera to anyone for actually using it to take photos. The technology in it is 17 years old. And using 3.5 inch floppy disk drives that only hold 6 to 13 images, depending on the quality settings? That is pretty ridiculous. And no one has those drives in their computers anymore. The versions of Windows that were in computers back when PC's had 3.5 inch drives are not even supported by Microsoft any longer.

And a 1 megapixel sensor is also extremely rudimentary image quality.

It would be a fantastic camera for a camera collector to buy. But it is pretty much useless today for actual photography. But as a curio from the earliest days of consumer digital photography, it wold be great.

For actual use, I would not recommend that anyone buy a camera that is more than 10 years old.

Something like the 7.2 megapixel Sony Cybershot H5 would be about as old of a camera as I would say would be feasible to use. it is now 10 years old. You can find them on eBay for $30. However, it does use Sony memory stick media, which is rather a pain to use these days.

Even better would be something like an 8 year old 8 megapixel Canon Powershot A590 IS. They use SD cards, and can be found on eBay for $25

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 +1 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 32,263

Finding computers that have floppy drives these days is nearly impossible. To buy a floppy drive would probably cost more than the camera is worth. Owning and using one is probably fun for nostalgic reasons but frankly compared to even a smartphone it's a POS.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography.

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony RX10 III +9 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 32,263
Re: Good only as a curio to add to a camera collection

lancespring wrote:

For actual use, I would not recommend that anyone buy a camera that is more than 10 years old.

I agreed with everything you said until you said that. There are some great 4 mp cameras from the early 2000s that are worth using if you can get one really cheap. Here's some samples I took in 2003 with my Olympus C4000z.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography.

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony RX10 III +9 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192

jazz camcorder wrote:

bought this camera about a year ago along with 2 other mavica cameras it cost me $13 for its age the zoom and auto focus and steady shot are really amazing still take pretty nice photos can fit like one bmp image on the floppy so if you have a lot of floppy disks or a close to a computer with usb to back them up it takes quite nice photos jpg mode is fine as long as you set it on the less compress setting

if can pick one of these cameras up really cheap and have a usb floppy disk drive or old pc/laptop with one i would recommend getting one and you can pick up brand new packs of floppy disks for around $15nzd off ebay or less

i was lucky at a school gala i picked up 2x 10 packs of brand new sony ones for $3nzd

Sounds fun but this will be lost on many. It shows what a curse pixel counts are have been with compacts in general and probably helped in their demise against the smartphone.

Edit: Surprised this posted so I am only blocked on the aps-c forum. You do not actually get told so difficult to know.

jazz camcorder
OP jazz camcorder Regular Member • Posts: 115

tbcass wrote:

Finding computers that have floppy drives these days is nearly impossible. To buy a floppy drive would probably cost more than the camera is worth. Owning and using one is probably fun for nostalgic reasons but frankly compared to even a smartphone it's a POS.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------

camera is worth these days from what i see on ebay on average $32nz not including shipping cost and a usb floppy disc drive is about $10nzd to $14nzd

yeah most camera phones are better these days my 31.11nzd wkworld 5mp phone takes great photos

but this camera is interesting to play around with

but my fave model would be the fd-200 2.0mp that takes sony memory stick and fd picked my one up from a site like ebay here in new zealand for $0.50cents $5 shipping came with charger brand new 3rd party battery and 1gb memory stick

i still use this camera from time to time as it takes amazing 2.0mp photos 2.0mp is good enough for me for what i use the photos for and it also has really good macro mode the 3rd party battery that came with it can last like 4hrs turning off the lcd screen its cool that it has this feature as on a bright sunny day it has like a window on the top so it can let the light in so you can see the screen

jazz camcorder's gear list:jazz camcorder's gear list
Canon PowerShot A470 Canon PowerShot G5 Fujifilm FinePix Z20fd Kodak EasyShare C433 Kodak EasyShare C713 +6 more
66GTO Senior Member • Posts: 2,525

My Sony DSC R1 is over 10 years old now, and I would not trade it, or stop using it for anything.

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D7000 Nikon Df +1 more
sharrack Senior Member • Posts: 1,209

Sony R1......now there's a classic that will blow your wig off.

Love my 2.....stiil used.... until the RX10 iii comes down to about 750.00

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads